Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

I Thought I'd seen Everything Until...

2 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Bastards destroying the enviroment.

what a cheek

how dare he

what a fvcking liberty

well thats it... im writing to my local MP

Try the Daily Mail first. They like readers like you

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Don't know if this the right for this. 

A few years ago we were on holiday in Crete. The chap in the next room was on his own, retired. I used to talk to him across the balcony and got friendly with him, I'd have a few drinks with him at night in the bar. 

One night he was telling about his wife who'd died of cancer a few years ago. He told me how she'd suffered, how he missed her and how beautiful she was. He decides to show me her picture on his phone. They're both dressed up, obviously going to some posh do. 

I said"oh yes mate, lovely looking woman", which she was. 

He says to me "have you seen the tits on it?" 

It took me all my time not to burst out laughing. 

So solemn lol 

17 hours ago, Parafox said:

This evening on a visit to my local supermarket, I was parking up when a big 4x4 "travelled" in and parked directly in a disabled bay. The 2 occupants who were "travelling" in the vehicle jumped out. The male had his hair dyed the colour of an over ripe peach and was wearing clothing most suited for jungle warfare and his female "travelling" companion was wearing what could best be described as fluffy pyjamas and slippers. They both walked quickly (and normally, no limp or sticks involved) in through the exit door with complete disregard for the one way system or those that were coming in the opposite, correct, direction.

I thought I'd seen everything until a young woman walked past me in a dressing gown and flip-flops who'd clearly just had a shower as she still had a towel wrapped around her head and damp patches on her dressing gown. I think she'd walked across the road with her mate from some houses opposite.

Do people have no shame?

Can I just say, without throwing any accusations at you or calling you any names, from my point of view as the audience listening to this story, I didn't really gain anything from it by being told you thought they were members of the travelling community. 

It was an unimportant detail in context, these people were behaving in a clearly antisocial way and I'd have nodded along and gone "yep, they sound like selfish tits", I didn't really need to know what their ethnicity was. 

When you throw it in as a detail, you're either deliberately or unconsciously asking me to make a connection between their anti social behaviour and their ethnicity/cultural background. The implication that the two are connected is what could cause people offence and, because it added nothing to the story, ends up reflecting on you more than the subject. 

If this behaviour was somehow unique to members of the travelling community then I'd perhaps understand but, let's be honest, selfishly abusing a disabled parking space and/or dressing like a muppet is something people do from literally all walks of life. 

Again, I'm not having a go, I think you're a top poster and a lovely bloke. But maybe just try and ask yourself, next time you go to tell a story like this, are some of these details actually relevant and what am I trying to say?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Don't know if this the right for this. 

A few years ago we were on holiday in Crete. The chap in the next room was on his own, retired. I used to talk to him across the balcony and got friendly with him, I'd have a few drinks with him at night in the bar. 

One night he was telling about his wife who'd died of cancer a few years ago. He told me how she'd suffered, how he missed her and how beautiful she was. He decides to show me her picture on his phone. They're both dressed up, obviously going to some posh do. 

I said"oh yes mate, lovely looking woman", which she was. 

He says to me "have you seen the tits on it?" 

It took me all my time not to burst out laughing. 

Dealing with death is always a complicated thing.

I love how he finds a way to smile through the sadness.

Sounds a top bloke, hope he lives out his life with that lovely attitude x

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Again, I'm not having a go, I think you're a top poster and a lovely bloke. But maybe just try and ask yourself, next time you go to tell a story like this, are some of these details actually relevant and what am I trying to say?

Yesterday Some time ago, I walked into a supermarket place and I saw something really weird.   This pretty young girl person was chatting up a really ugly old man person.  Bizarre.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Can I just say, without throwing any accusations at you or calling you any names, from my point of view as the audience listening to this story, I didn't really gain anything from it by being told you thought they were members of the travelling community. 

It was an unimportant detail in context, these people were behaving in a clearly antisocial way and I'd have nodded along and gone "yep, they sound like selfish tits", I didn't really need to know what their ethnicity was. 

When you throw it in as a detail, you're either deliberately or unconsciously asking me to make a connection between their anti social behaviour and their ethnicity/cultural background. The implication that the two are connected is what could cause people offence and, because it added nothing to the story, ends up reflecting on you more than the subject. 

If this behaviour was somehow unique to members of the travelling community then I'd perhaps understand but, let's be honest, selfishly abusing a disabled parking space and/or dressing like a muppet is something people do from literally all walks of life. 

Having read this very balanced post from you, I thought about it and yes, you're right. There was actually no need to connect the two aspects of their behaviour. I guess I attached my personal offence and my negative experiences of the travelling community. Anti-social behaviour is anti-social behaviour whatever your background.

However, as posted by @worth_the_wait, above, some things need to have context otherwise they're meaningless :thumbup:

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/11/2021 at 17:36, worth_the_wait said:

Yesterday Some time ago, I walked into a supermarket place and I saw something really weird.   This pretty young girl person was chatting up a really ugly old man person.  Bizarre.

There must be a named syndrome for this demonstrative lack of comprehension, and I don't know it. 

I'd genuinely welcome knowing what it is called.