Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

32 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

In addition I’m surprised about the lack of comments on the planning application. For such a big application I would have expected a lot of comments for and against. I remember seeing plenty on Forests application. I suppose the plan simply not strongly opposed!

That's what I was expecting, well, against at least. I really thought that we'd have to mobilise and start bombarding the planners with supporting emails and picketing the council offices. It's all been quite drama free looking from the outside. 

• Like 1

I have absolutely no idea why anyone was getting their knickers in a twist over any pushback against this application lol

A few people moaning about noise or extra traffic is not going to change the flow of an application like this. Any opposition has to be embedded in specific national and locally adopted planning policies, rather than the odd nimby gripe. Even if a group of residents got to together to oppose this would've had to work spectacularly hard to even come close to having a proper case. Either that or find newts.

1 minute ago, Footballwipe said:

I have absolutely no idea why anyone was getting their knickers in a twist over any pushback against this application lol

A few people moaning about noise or extra traffic is not going to change the flow of an application like this. Any opposition has to be embedded in specific national and locally adopted planning policies, rather than the odd nimby gripe. Even if a group of residents got to together to oppose this would've had to work spectacularly hard to even come close to having a proper case. Either that or find newts.

Travel plans was always going to be  questionable because of the increase in matchday and other usages. Especially because we never complied with the travel plans for the current stadium which were part of the approval. 

But yeah it would need an organised concerted effort against which we had for all of Bede island, Filbert Street expansion and the current stadium. The history is there.

8 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

I fear there are a good few newts down there Saturday afternoons.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

I fear there are a good few newts down there Saturday afternoons.

They wont care they'll be pissed on Saturday match day.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

Planning application for the enabling works of the services were approved yesterday.

All that remains is the small matter of the hybrid planning application. Consultation ends on Monday 24 January and the target decision date is Thursday 10 February.

What is the hybrid planning application? As in what does that actually mean lol

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

My vague understanding is the full application for the Stand expansion itself and then rough planning application for the additional parts (eg rough size, area and land use). This way once the Stand expansion is underway the club can proceed with more in depth planning on the other structures knowing the criteria is already accepted.

Someone more knowledgeable can correct me :sweating:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The application is in two parts. It requests full planning approval for the East Stand development and outline approval for the other 7 buildings. Basically the East Stand rebuild depends on outline permission being granted for the rest of the development ie. one won't go ahead without the other. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

My vague understanding is the full application for the Stand expansion itself and then rough planning application for the additional parts (eg rough size, area and land use). This way once the Stand expansion is underway the club can proceed with more in depth planning on the other structures knowing the criteria is already accepted.

Someone more knowledgeable can correct me :sweating:

Just now, Spudulike said:

The application is in two parts. It requests full planning approval for the East Stand development and outline approval for the other 7 buildings. Basically the East Stand rebuild depends on outline permission being granted for the rest of the development ie. one won't go ahead without the other. 

Thanks! 

Lieklihood of it all being accepted/approved? 

On 13/01/2022 at 09:13, Fox in the North said:

Planning application for the enabling works of the services were approved yesterday.

All that remains is the small matter of the hybrid planning application. Consultation ends on Monday 24 January and the target decision date is Thursday 10 February.

Consultation end date has been pushed back to 2 Feb, target decision date of 10 Feb still remains.

12 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Consultation end date has been pushed back to 2 Feb, target decision date of 10 Feb still remains.

Odd. Why would they do that unless they've had a request to delay from a significant body that is currently compiling some vitally important comments? 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Supergray22 said:

Surely this decision is pretty much a formality at this stage or am I missing something??

I don't think you are missing anything. Doesn't seem to any significant opposition and will be a massive boost to the City of Leicester. You would think the planners would be doing everything possible to make this happen. Massive investment like this doesn't come around that often and will completely transform the West end of the city. Exciting times. 

• Like 2

Nothing new, the Merc just catching up with Foxestalk.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-king-power-stadium-expansion-6569338

Leicester City get two King Power Stadium expansion approvals as big decision date edges closer
The club have proposed a major redevelopment of their home ground, including a new East Stand that will increase the capacity of the stadium to around 40,000 seats

ByJordan Blackwell
18:42, 28 JAN 2022
SPORT

Leicester City have moved closer to a green light on their King Power Stadium expansion plans after permission was granted for work to begin on the site.

City announced an ambitious project last year to upgrade their home ground and increase the capacity to circa 40,000 seats.

The club now have approval from Leicester City Council on two applications they submitted for preliminary works at the back of the East Stand, where the new tier will be built.

And a go-ahead on the plans themselves may follow shortly, with the City Council predicting a decision will be made in the next fortnight.

City do now have permission to commence work on the land at the back of the proposed expansion, with approval for the demolition of the National Grid building that runs next to the current car park.

After consultations with archaeologists, ecologists, and local highway and flooding authorities, approval was given for the demolition of the building, provided work is only carried out between 7.30am and 6pm Monday to Friday, and 7.30am to 1pm on Saturdays, and using the methodology set out in City’s initial application.

That includes their restoration plan, with the crushed brickwork and concrete, slabs, and fencing at the site of the National Grid to be retained for work on expanding the King Power Stadium.

A second green light was given earlier this month for enabling works around the ground, allowing the club to work on electrical, gas pipework and drainage diversions around the site in preparation for the build of the new stand.

The big decision on the hybrid plan is still to come though, and a final word is expected within the next two weeks.

At the end of last October, City submitted a detailed plan of the stadium expansion at the heart of the redevelopment of the area, and then more broad outlines for the rest of the proposed builds on the site: a hotel, an indoor entertainment arena, a new flagship fanstore, a residential tower, a multi-storey car park, and a pavilion.

The City Council say consultation on that plan is due to end next Wednesday, February, 2, with a decision to come on the following Thursday, February 10.

The earliest expected completion date for the new East Stand is the summer of 2024.