Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

21 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

No way are Forest going to expand their ground in the Championship. 

Building anything in this country can be ruinously expensive and Covid, inflation and the war in Ukraine are only going to make this worse. 

Where are they going to get they money? 

Frankly, where are we going to get the money? Still not been clarified… 

I heard that Forest are planning on building a large residential tower. The sale of the flats will provide a big chunk of the funding for the rest of their redevelopment

15 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

I heard that Forest are planning on building a large residential tower. The sale of the flats will provide a big chunk of the funding for the rest of their redevelopment

They may need something very high to throw themselves off in times of mediocrity. 

6 minutes ago, Sly said:

Build costs have gone up around 35% on most projects since December 2021. We’re not exactly doing this at the right time. 

The other way of looking at this is borrow now whilst interest rates are low and get this done. Will always be a reason not to do it but always a reason to get it done

19 minutes ago, Sly said:

Build costs have gone up around 35% on most projects since December 2021. We’re not exactly doing this at the right time. 

Don't I know it. I picked a fine time to have an extension built but got delayed for a year by the planners procrastination. 

1 hour ago, Hitesh said:

The other way of looking at this is borrow now whilst interest rates are low and get this done. Will always be a reason not to do it but always a reason to get it done

...covid didn't help and it would account for the materials not being available along with a war in Europe, pushing the cost up!!!

The salient point would be the cost of borrowing being low when we took out the loan. The bank of England are looking at 7.5% inflation and are adjusting interest rates upwardly to counteract it.

We took the loan out at the right time.

Build materials prices are insane. Inflation is rocketing. Planners and urban design officers are leaving in their droves to work for planning consultancys for better pay. We've paid for permitted developments on sites recently and they are all well overdue. Planners say "sorry we're busy", we say "but you signed an agreement", they say "well you can submit a full application instead" I.e  meaning a 5 month delay and losing the fee we paid the planning dept. They literally have you by the balls.

I'm not worried about about the approval of the development, its more irritating having to deal with pedantic consultees harping on about light pollution and what not. Being delegated powers it will be fine. The Planning officer with condition any additional items to appease certain aspects after they have given the green light. 

• Like 1

There has been a new objection listed yesterday 

https://planning.leicester.gov.uk/Document/Download?module=PLA&recordNumber=170045&planId=666905&imageId=426&isPlan=False&fileName=Public Comment 29-03-2022 -Redacted.pdf

I strongly object to the plans for the following reasons: 1. Traffic issues - This area and its surrounding areas are always severely impacted by a high number of pedestrians and motor traffic on match days, causing dangerous conditions in terms of pedestrians walking on the road surface where motor traffic is present, as well as the high levels of pollution and traffic delays. Most importantly, the West End is a popular place for parking on match days and even with the resident permit restrictions, there are contraventions.

Residents have to pay for parking on this area and they would be severely disadvantaged. The plans to increase stand capacity without increasing parking capacity are obviously showing a lack of concern for all residents involved around the area. However, providing extra parking is not the solution since this will only attract more motor vehicles, severely decreasing the air quality around the area for many years to come. Political opinions aside, we are in a climate emergency and nature doesn't care about political opinions, the fact is our climate is changing rapidly and we need to decarbonize fast.

The city has a legal obligation to meet targets and I don't see how this will be possible when the current traffic levels as the stadium currently stand are already elevated, with more capacity this will only be made much worse. There is also a major hospital with A&E and a Rugby stadium on the main Welford Road cutting across the city, there is nothing on the plan that I could find in terms of increasing lane capacity or using smart lights/smart crossings to manage the traffic more intelligently. Even so, compulsory orders to purchase property along the road to widen the capacity would displace local residents and have a negative impact on the community.

2. The loss of natural habitat/green spaces is going to be tremendous with all the associated new structures. There will be losses of trees which I strongly object to. Some ornamental species will be planted however they are not as valuable in terms of carbon capture or visual impact as the trees that are being removed for the development to go ahead. There is no investment in landscaping the surrounding areas and neighborhoods or funding the planting of trees around the city blocks. This would help alleviate some of the effects of the extra pollution brought in by the extra motor vehicles transiting to and from the stadium.

3. Public infrastructure - lack of contractually-enforceable public infrastructure investment such as park and ride and increased public transportation frequency/quality from/to the stadium. There was a comment on another objection stating that on a previous plan it was agreed that the stadium would build and operate a park and ride scheme which never materialized, this shows a complete disregard for city officials and residents as well as being dishonest.

In general, I am supporting of enterprise that makes Leicester more attractive to all, this in my opinion will only benefit football fans and the rich owners of LCFC. Acceptance should only occur if there is a legally-binding and enforceable contract with a timescale and severe penalties should the timescale be breached, which should include plantings of thousands of trees around the stadium AND around the city blocks surrounding it for at least 1 mile, it should also definitely address the traffic issues, as the climate problems we face intensify, Leicester City Council may be found negligent in its duty of care to residents to ensure that air quality levels remain acceptable.

The increase in lung-related and other health issues related to pollution will bring extra costs and strain to the public purse and health system that will affect residents for many years if not for their entire lifetime. In addition, residents have to put up with high-density traffic causing parking issues when they have no choice where to park their vehicles since most homes surrounding the stadium are terraced houses with only on-street parking available. My main concern is that this development only benefits the owners, the main focus should not be profit but community. Allowing a business to operate in a way that causes gains to itself to the detriment of others is not only immoral but bad business. 

we will all have to bear the costs of the issues this will bring, regardless of whether we are football fans or not. The taxpayer should not have to fund "fixes" for the problems that this increase in traffic will cause nor should fauna and flora have to be eliminated when we need more of it more than ever. We all know that for some, football runs in their blood and is a matter of life. But it doesn't make sense to prioritize their hobby over resident's basic needs like fresh air, reduced traffic, and more natural areas to enjoy not to mention peace of mind to find parking.

Edited by jammie82uk
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

https://planning.leicester.gov.uk/Document/Download?module=PLA&recordNumber=170045&planId=666905&imageId=426&isPlan=False&fileName=Public Comment 29-03-2022 -Redacted.pdf

I strongly object to the plans for the following reasons: 1. Traffic issues - This area and its surrounding areas are always severely impacted by a high number of pedestrians and motor traffic on match days, causing dangerous conditions in terms of pedestrians walking on the road surface where motor traffic is present, as well as the high levels of pollution and traffic delays. Most importantly, the West End is a popular place for parking on match days and even with the resident permit restrictions, there are contraventions.

Residents have to pay for parking on this area and they would be severely disadvantaged. The plans to increase stand capacity without increasing parking capacity are obviously showing a lack of concern for all residents involved around the area. However, providing extra parking is not the solution since this will only attract more motor vehicles, severely decreasing the air quality around the area for many years to come. Political opinions aside, we are in a climate emergency and nature doesn't care about political opinions, the fact is our climate is changing rapidly and we need to decarbonize fast.

The city has a legal obligation to meet targets and I don't see how this will be possible when the current traffic levels as the stadium currently stand are already elevated, with more capacity this will only be made much worse. There is also a major hospital with A&E and a Rugby stadium on the main Welford Road cutting across the city, there is nothing on the plan that I could find in terms of increasing lane capacity or using smart lights/smart crossings to manage the traffic more intelligently. Even so, compulsory orders to purchase property along the road to widen the capacity would displace local residents and have a negative impact on the community.

2. The loss of natural habitat/green spaces is going to be tremendous with all the associated new structures. There will be losses of trees which I strongly object to. Some ornamental species will be planted however they are not as valuable in terms of carbon capture or visual impact as the trees that are being removed for the development to go ahead. There is no investment in landscaping the surrounding areas and neighborhoods or funding the planting of trees around the city blocks. This would help alleviate some of the effects of the extra pollution brought in by the extra motor vehicles transiting to and from the stadium.

3. Public infrastructure - lack of contractually-enforceable public infrastructure investment such as park and ride and increased public transportation frequency/quality from/to the stadium. There was a comment on another objection stating that on a previous plan it was agreed that the stadium would build and operate a park and ride scheme which never materialized, this shows a complete disregard for city officials and residents as well as being dishonest.

In general, I am supporting of enterprise that makes Leicester more attractive to all, this in my opinion will only benefit football fans and the rich owners of LCFC. Acceptance should only occur if there is a legally-binding and enforceable contract with a timescale and severe penalties should the timescale be breached, which should include plantings of thousands of trees around the stadium AND around the city blocks surrounding it for at least 1 mile, it should also definitely address the traffic issues, as the climate problems we face intensify, Leicester City Council may be found negligent in its duty of care to residents to ensure that air quality levels remain acceptable.

The increase in lung-related and other health issues related to pollution will bring extra costs and strain to the public purse and health system that will affect residents for many years if not for their entire lifetime. In addition, residents have to put up with high-density traffic causing parking issues when they have no choice where to park their vehicles since most homes surrounding the stadium are terraced houses with only on-street parking available. My main concern is that this development only benefits the owners, the main focus should not be profit but community. Allowing a business to operate in a way that causes gains to itself to the detriment of others is not only immoral but bad business. 

we will all have to bear the costs of the issues this will bring, regardless of whether we are football fans or not. The taxpayer should not have to fund "fixes" for the problems that this increase in traffic will cause nor should fauna and flora have to be eliminated when we need more of it more than ever. We all know that for some, football runs in their blood and is a matter of life. But it doesn't make sense to prioritize their hobby over resident's basic needs like fresh air, reduced traffic, and more natural areas to enjoy not to mention peace of mind to find parking.

Shows how selfish some people are. 

7 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

They went to all of this trouble just for the sake of about 3 or 4 hours in an afternoon/evening, between 20 - 25 times over the course of a year. 

If this person lives in the vicinity of the football club, which has been in that area for over a hundred years, then I'm sorry you're an absolute muffin head.

The reason there isn't extra parking is to encourage more people to use public transport or walk in from the centre/outskirts etc.

It's like the people who complained about the traffic issues to be caused by the Olympics in Stratford. You've had 7 years notice and a pretty explicit timetable as to when such 'disruptions' will occur. Likewise, LCFC have been based in that part of the city for 131 years AND have a timetable for fixtures released pretty far in advance, plus it's a minimum of 19 times a year. Just stay inside you idiots.

21 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Green space and trees? There’s a shit tonne of trees and green spaces around the stadium is t there? That’s just waffle for the sake of waffle. 

I suspect the objector spent more time writing that than actually looking at the application documentation. Perhaps a new resident to the area that hadn't researched the locality. 

1 hour ago, jammie82uk said:

Reads like it's all part of a DMU geography students dissertation/coursework

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

That geezer has gone loopy... he's arguing with himself lol

• Haha 2

I don't know why anyone is getting het up about that objection. There is no substance to it at all. It doesn't reference any Local Plans or policies at either national or City Council level that this plan contravenes. If the City Council refused this application based on objections like this we'd appeal and take them to the cleaners at Planning Inspectorate.

Definitely would read these with a wry smile at their predictability rather than get wound up.

• Like 2