Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

32 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

The club need to come out and tell us what’s going on, they always  seem to keep us in the dark regardless of what it is.

Is there no one in our fanbase that  is in a position to challenge the club for some answers as to what’s going on.

To be fair, as frustrating as it is, this latest deadline has only just passed, so I wasn’t expecting a statement at 5.01pm.

If or when this latest deadline is pushed back again, then selfishly, it would be nice to know what’s going on.

There’s a few people on here who seem to know the process relatively well, so be interesting to get their views on what the suspected reasons might be for a further delay.

On 28/07/2022 at 16:13, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I feel the same way, but also see the club's point of view: It is a 25 percent increase in capacity, after all. At the same time, they must have plans in the drawer for doing the other stands when the time comes, hopefully sooner than later.

I think its ok providing they start work on the the next phase right when this is completed as I think 25% is probably too low. I agree with what you said earlier that if you selling out all your games the capacity is too low.  Think of all the potential new match goers we missing out on because they cant go to games, not to mention our current FFP issues.

This really seems to be dragging on and on and on.

On 28/07/2022 at 10:29, Sol thewall Bamba said:

That's assuming we'll sell every spot for every match post expansion, looking at the sluggish take up of the first 3 homes games for this season that's up for debate.

Not like it would be to do with a clash of people's annual holidays. Also because of that not having the spare cash in August.

4 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Guess it was just a coincidence that everyone was free for the Man United game.

Hmm Brentford or Manure if you can only afford one of them.

Plus the usual manc supporting local scum come out of hiding for this one.

45 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

As it's Sunday, there'll obviously be no update today. I'm going for a revised target date of 30 Oct, when it does get updated.

I had an email this morning to notify of a change. Can't see anything different :dunno:

Decision on Leicester City FC stadium expansion delayed again | New Civil Engineer

Leicester-image-3-e1628776741267-1024x684.jpg

Decision on Leicester City FC stadium expansion delayed again

01 AUG, 2022 BY ROB HORGAN

Leicester City Football Club’s stadium expansion aspirations remain in the balance after the council missed its own deadline to rule on the planning application for a third time.

Leicester City Council’s records show that the planning application was due to be ruled on by the end of July. However, a decision is still yet to be taken.

The club submitted its application for a new East Stand in October last year, and Leicester City Council was originally due to rule on it by 10 February. That date was then pushed back until 20 April, before again being delayed until 31 July.

After missing the latest deadline, a Leicester City Council spokesperson told NCE that no new date has been set for determining the application.

Council records also show that seven out of the last eight scheduled planning committee meetings have been cancelled, stretching back until February. The committee is next due to meet on Wednesday (3 August), however Leicester City FC's application is not included on the agenda papers uploaded to the council's website ahead of the meeting.

The East Midlands outfit’s expansion proposal is to boost capacity at the King Power Stadium from 32,261 to “around 40,000”.

This would be achieved through a major extension to the arena’s East Stand, documents released by the club reveal.

The development plans also include a hotel and business centre, a residential tower, office space, a 6,000 capacity events arena and new public realm featuring a fanzone.

The club had hoped to begin work at the start of the year, and do have permission for preliminary works on the site, having submitted separate plans before their main application went in.

Those approved applications allow the club to demolish the National Grid building at the back of the current East Stand, and work on electrical, gas pipework and drainage diversions around the site in preparation for the build of the new stand.

The East Stand development was originally earmarked to be finished in time for the 2024/25 season. It is unclear if planning delays have affected that target date

Council records also show that seven out of the last eight scheduled planning committee meetings have been cancelled, stretching back until February

....and that's the obvious reason for the delay.

Why on earth wouldn't the council approve the stadium application?  They're not stupid and know the value of the club to the city and its economy.

Perhaps it's something in the hybrid application which includes elements on the whole site.

My guess is the residential tower that's included? I've not looked at the details but there's not a lot of high rise developments in Leicester? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Plastik Man said:

Why on earth wouldn't the council approve the stadium application?  They're not stupid and know the value of the club to the city and its economy.

Perhaps it's something in the hybrid application which includes elements on the whole site.

My guess is the residential tower that's included? I've not looked at the details but there's not a lot of high rise developments in Leicester? 🤔

They haven’t even discussed it by the sounds of it.

1 minute ago, Plastik Man said:

I'm pretty sure they have had discussions with the club.

I’m sure they have but it has to go through official channels to get formal approval of which the meetings they’ve not had are a part.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

I’m sure they have but it has to go through official channels to get formal approval of which the meetings they’ve not had are a part.

You're referring to planning committee meetings? Im not an expert but they are really there to approve applications once the planning department are satisfied.  Occasionally Members will go out on a limb,  bbut usually follow the advice of their planning officers.

With such a high profile development there will certainly be dialogue, and meetings, between the planners and the club. Because of the importance of this development, those discussions will be at a senior level.

• Like 1

Sure better others than me can vouch for this but you’d be surprised on big developments how much conversation between the club and council we have taken place. My experience the council might say we need more information for this and both parties agree extensions of time until it’s ready. 

• Like 1