Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

3 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

You have a very strong opinion on this. Do you have specific insight that supports your opinion, or is it just your gut feeling like the rest of us??

Personally speaking, if I’m 21, possibly first time to the UK, and I’m signing for £80k/wk, then 6 months in an on-site hotel suite, with beautiful swimming pool, gym, golf course, medical and support professionals, meeting facilities for my interpreter lessons etc etc, whilst I find my feet and settle in, would make me feel much more at home and supported by my new employers, and that would eclipse a £10k wage increase.

I’d recognise that, during my 10-15 year career at the top, succeeding quickly is way more valuable than a few grand right now. 

Gut feeling like anyone else. And not that strong, as your post has made a lot of sense and I'm seeing what you mean.:thumbup:

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yes.

Also the sort of player that is purely going for money aren't the ones we want to be signing all the time, that'll get us into a mess like the one we're currently in. Offer them the facilities to improve themselves, offer them a place in the squad, offer them the chance to develop and move onto the next big club.

If someone offered me a 10% payrise, I wouldn't leave my company. If they offered me the same salary, but said I'd likely be promoted within 5 years at the next company, I'd seriously consider it. We're all built differently.

Oh come on that is a bit naive. The days of club loyalty in football are a thing of the past. For a start, They don't do any thinking their agents do, and their agent ain't in it for them they are in it for themselves. Money is the prime and end goal.

12 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

That's more like it. I agree.:thumbup:

v

On 23/12/2020 at 10:37, urban.spaceman said:

The use of song in that video really does cement the statement we’re making with this training ground. I think that’s what gave me the chills the most watching it for the first time. 

Come gather ’round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You’ll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin’
Then you better start swimmin’ or you’ll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin’

Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won’t come again
And don’t speak too soon
For the wheel’s still in spin
And there’s no tellin’ who that it’s namin’
For the loser now will be later to win

Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don’t stand in the doorway
Don’t block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled

There’s a battle outside and it is ragin’
It’ll soon shake your windows and rattle your walls

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don’t criticize
What you can’t understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is rapidly agin’
Please get out of the new one if you can’t lend your hand

The line it is drawn
The curse it is cast
The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past
The order is rapidly fadin’
And the first one now will later be last

The highlighted bits in particular.

Look at where we’ve come from. And look at where we are now. And then look at who came second in 2016. There’s a changing of the guard happening right now and it started when we won the league on pure merit. Our future begins now. the future is ours. The times they are a changing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

Oh come on that is a bit naive. The days of club loyalty in football are a thing of the past. For a start, They don't do any thinking their agents do, and their agent ain't in it for them they are in it for themselves. Money is the prime and end goal.

Once again, not true. You're tarring everyone with the same brush.

Not all players have agents so there's that for number 1. Number 2, you really think players will care about an extra 5k or whatever a week, yes of course if we're talking about an extra 25k+ then they'll have more incentive to move, but how often do teams like Villa and Wolves pay that much more than us if we're in competition for the same player?

And then it comes back to money again, we'll end up in a mess if we start offering players more money like we've done with Soumare, Hamza, Vestegaard and Bertrand, better to offer them something else, follow the Dortmund and Salzberg models.

This convo is getting a bit boring now, you think the world revolves around money, when I think other factors are at play. Why did Tielemans chose to come here after his loan deal? Why hasn't Tielemans spoke to WHU who would double his wages? Why hasn't Maddison kicked up a fuss to get his move to Newcastle? Why haven't we got players wanting to leave to move to Villa when they're handing out a lot of cash in wages atm?

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

4 hours ago, 5waller5 said:

You have a very strong opinion on this. Do you have specific insight that supports your opinion, or is it just your gut feeling like the rest of us??

Personally speaking, if I’m 21, possibly first time to the UK, and I’m signing for £80k/wk, then 6 months in an on-site hotel suite, with beautiful swimming pool, gym, golf course, medical and support professionals, meeting facilities for my interpreter lessons etc etc, whilst I find my feet and settle in, would make me feel much more at home and supported by my new employers, and that would eclipse a £10k wage increase.

I’d recognise that, during my 10-15 year career at the top, succeeding quickly is way more valuable than a few grand right now. 

Sorry but that’s just not how it works. 

Of course it’s nice having the sort of facilities that now exist but they are far from unique and let’s not confuse the training facilities with the sort of academies that other clubs have. Chelsea for instance have integrated the male, female and under 21s on one site with 30 pitches. Spurs and Cities facilities are on a even higher level

Irrespective players signed on a permanent basis are discouraged from living in hotels they by and large rent or buy properties often the clubs act almost as estate agents 

Most players aged 21 will have “left home” more than a couple of years previously and many if progressed through the bigger academies both in Europe and no more than more in England will have been tutored very much in far more topics than just sport many include English lessons as well as money management and media skills .

Tr

1 hour ago, JimmyC74 said:

We can’t compete with the top club’s on wages, clearly, and so we don’t shop at that level.

Strategically the Club has taken the decision to target and bring in younger, promising players who aren’t likely to get game time at Yanited, Man City, L’pool etc develop them and give them earlier opportunities in the first XI.  Some will excel be sold and funds reinvested. 

For those players, seeing a best in class training ground I would imagine is very important and a big draw. Important because it would compare favourably to the surroundings they are already accustomed to and reassure them that moving to City is good for their career.  Money comes into it and we aren’t bad payers for that level of player - and reward achievement.

Also having ambition to upgrade the stadium would demonstrate we are a club looking to progress.

Our best players in living memory - players like Neil Lennon, Muzzy, Matt Elliott, Vards, Mahrez, Kante and Madders were not taken from the first XI of a top 6 club - but all were hungry. This model we are following is the right one for us in the long term IMO. 

Who was the player that signed for Man City thinking it was City ?

Interestingly enough what will influence young promising players even more than a top academy building is the history the club has when it comes to granting a player a transfer as opposed to digging heels in. As for bringing in young hungry players that’s a model that historically many have attempted to adopt. Anyone rember the Crystal Palace model under Terry Venables and Malcolm Alinson ? 

Playing in Europe will trump a golf course attached to a training ground. A big wage will trump playing in a stadium that’s going to be upgraded. Playing in London will trump playing in anywhere else in the UK.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Once again, not true. You're tarring everyone with the same brush.

Not all players have agents so there's that for number 1. Number 2, you really think players will care about an extra 5k or whatever a week, yes of course if we're talking about an extra 25k+ then they'll have more incentive to move, but how often do teams like Villa and Wolves pay that much more than us if we're in competition for the same player?

And then it comes back to money again, we'll end up in a mess if we start offering players more money like we've done with Soumare, Hamza, Vestegaard and Bertrand, better to offer them something else, follow the Dortmund and Salzberg models.

This convo is getting a bit boring now, you think the world revolves around money, when I think other factors are at play. Why did Tielemans chose to come here after his loan deal? Why hasn't Tielemans spoke to WHU who would double his wages? Why hasn't Maddison kicked up a fuss to get his move to Newcastle? Why haven't we got players wanting to leave to move to Villa when they're handing out a lot of cash in wages atm?

Ok we beg to differ. Thanks for the imput.:thumbup:

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU

1 hour ago, Terraloon said:

Of course it’s nice having the sort of facilities that now exist but they are far from unique and let’s not confuse the training facilities with the sort of academies that other clubs have. Chelsea for instance have integrated the male, female and under 21s on one site with 30 pitches. Spurs and Cities facilities are on a even higher level

Irrespective players signed on a permanent basis are discouraged from living in hotels they by and large rent or buy properties often the clubs act almost as estate agents

Sigh.

Do you think we can compete with Spurs, Man City and Chelsea, irrespective of the training facilities, the stadium size or the wages we pay?

We didn't build the training ground to compete with these clubs, we built it to be the best of the rest, for a decade or two anyway.

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Sigh.

Do you think we can compete with Spurs, Man City and Chelsea, irrespective of the training facilities, the stadium size or the wages we pay?

We didn't build the training ground to compete with these clubs, we built it to be the best of the rest, for a decade or two anyway.

The trouble is and it’s what the likes of Southampton are now finding is that you are actually competing with the real big boys when it comes to your top academy  talent, not so much when they are 14 but when they are say 16/17players under the age of 18 can’t sign a deal over 3 years nor will the likes of Leicester be in a position to pay say £20 k a week to an 18 year old

What is starting to increasingly happening if you get a real talent coming through the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal Liverpool will come a sniffing when those scholarship players are fast approaching their first adult contract. They of course won’t hover up all players but 97% of PL academy players never get to play in a first team game 

In the day the likes of Utd / City and Chelsea  were recruiting players from abroad to their academies  but because of Brexit ( English clubs can’t  now sign 16 year old players from EU Countries) 

4 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I'd rather have the number 1 training ground instead of the 10th largest stadium.

All well and good having top training ground,

just need the number one coaches and staff to go with it.🤔

That’s including the idiots at the ticket office.

👍🙄

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Lead to believe that the money we've just took a loan against is for this. 

Around £120/£130m. 

Could be some good news around the corner.

I hope you’re right, I think we could all use something positive out of the club right now

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KFS said:

Does this compound financial issues? I’m not well read enough on ffp simply because I think it’s a farce. Someone said infrastructure investment gets written off? Is that true? 

They don't count towards the figures nope. Just money spent on staff/players I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Around £120/£130m. 

Hope this is correct. Badly in need of some positive news.

Even more imperative that we stay clear of relegation!

An announcement and two victories would be an excellent week!😐

25 minutes ago, thesilverfox said:

The website is now showing that this is going to the committee meeting on 14th September!

Fingers crossed some good news incoming..

https://planning.leicester.gov.uk/Planning/Display/20212673

Will Jackie Weaver be in attendance, or perhaps she doesn't have authority?

Are any decisions likely to be made? Other than to agree to arrange further meetings. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

Around £120/£130m. 

Would that be the remainder of the construction? I thought we'd originally took 2x loans out for the training ground including 1x for stadium. I always thought the cost would be around double that of the first loan. 

Edited by UHDrive
Typo

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Are any decisions likely to be made? Other than to agree to arrange further meetings. 

This is odd. It's supposed to be approved under delegated powers I.e. planning officer but it's now been pencilled in as approval via way of committee. 

That to me says that there has been behind the scenes strife, with potential resistance from local councillors etc. 

I hope its a formality and I trust that there is more than enough member votes to push it through. Ultimately though, there has/is been resistance to the proposals in general in some way. 

2 hours ago, thesilverfox said:

The website is now showing that this is going to the committee meeting on 14th September!

The bad news is they’re saving the good news to announce it after our next win. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, thesilverfox said:

Yeah currently provisionally on that date will be confirmed the week before the meeting

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Expected attendees 

https://cabinet.leicester.gov.uk/mgMeetingAttendance.aspx?ID=11959