Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

2 minutes ago, jonthefox said:

Planning permission lasts for three years. 

While this is usually the case the club have actually applied for a longer time frame of five years for its implementation, their reasoning is economic climate and material costs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davieG said:

If approved, the Premier League club will have to set out more specific plans and agree a financial deal with the local authority.

The contributions will go towards the improvement and accessibility of The Raw Dykes Scheduled Ancient Monument, affordable housing as well as traffic and transport provision.

Why? I can see the logic behind the other provisos but affordable housing? Do other developments like the Brooklyn Hotel and the Leicester Uni complex have to contribute to this?

Sounds dodgy to me, so to build something in the city you have to give the council a bung?

I hope the new stand is opposite the TV camera.

12 minutes ago, OLASNP said:

While this is usually the case the club have actually applied for a longer time frame of five years for its implementation, their reasoning is economic climate and material costs. 

If you are over 60 , chances are you will never get to see it.

9 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Sounds dodgy to me, so to build something in the city you have to give the council a bung?

I hope the new stand is opposite the TV camera.

As I said I can understand a financial contribution  but to be forced to include affordable housing in what may well be high spec housing seems impracticable.

• Like 1

The previous answers perhaps weren't clear enough in that the affordable housing allocation does not have to be on the same site.  It is perfectly normal for developers not to want to sully their new expensive estates with houses that the proles could afford.

It's why we end up with ghost estates instead of a mixture for all ages and means.

I don't agree with it myself but KP will just fund the agreed amount to the council who will bunch it together with similar funds for a development of affordable housing elsewhere.

It is not a "bung" as has been suggested 

• Like 1

Good that the planners have recommended approval. Some info leafing through the report:

• the club proposed a target to limit additional cars on matchdays to 1,200-1,400 (from an extra 8,000 capacity)
  • the planners say this is more than they would like, but it could be "tolerable" with mitigating measures
  • they say temporary parking will need to be found during construction, as 450 parking spaces at the ground will be out of action
  • the planners say the council may ask the club to make a contribution towards paying for more park + ride services in the evenings and on weekends
  • the club might also have to pay for schemes to incentivise people to not use their car, e.g. free or subsidised buses
  • the cops have requested there should be CCTV cameras at "key access points" to allow facial (and vehicle) recognition
  • the Campaign to Reopen the Ivanhoe Line has suggested the club pay towards a station at the ground
  • the club have asked for the planning permission to remain valid for 5 years rather than the usual 3, due to the "economic climate" and the cost of materials (this has been accepted) 

31 minutes ago, OLASNP said:

Sounds like they won't be starting the build immediately. 

49 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

Surely, given our current plight with regard both to our league position and the Club's financial state this needs to be put on hold?

Problem is that this expansion is the very thing we need to slowly become independent from selling big assets every year.

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Surely, given our current plight with regard both to our league position and the Club's financial state this needs to be put on hold?

I am pretty sure this will be part of the reason that we had to cut back on other expenditure. It will all have been carefully planned.

There will never be a right time for a club like us but it is a much needed improvement that will benefit the club long term.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Sounds like they won't be starting the build immediately. 

I think they'll start the stadium but the other parts will be spread over those 5 years. As I understand it the rest has not even been detailed yet.