Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

59 minutes ago, String fellow said:

That blue canopy. Is it a patchwork of separate domed triangular glass panels, or maybe plastic? Will it need cleaning occasionally, and if so, how? What if a panel gets damaged? Will the colour fade with time? Has the designer thought about it's practicalities? Would I want the roof of my house to be like that? No! It looks like some cheapo inflatable mattress or perhaps even the inside of a padded cell. Imo, the roof should be designed to incorporate solar panels to help power the floodlights, and not be some fanciful design dreamed up by architects trying to make a name for themselves.

It's ETFE, same stuff that is used in the Allianz Arena and the Eden Project to name 2 well known examples. Bascially it is a series of inflated, translucent plastic clouds within a steel frame. They can be individually replaced and will need cleaning less than a glass equivalent would.

I don't think they will be as blue as they are in the image, more likely they'll be lit up in blue.

KSS don't need to make a name for themselves, they are one of (at most) a handful of practices who have almost monopolised stadium design in Europe.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Is this serious?

Yes, I'm fairly certain the club and architect will have considered the practicalities.

Such things as buildability, safe maintenance and repair are required to be fully considered and risk assessed by the construction design and management regulations which apply to all building projects.

so yes they will have done.

15 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I dunno I still think it looks pretty big - I think you could get the fanstore and a decent sized museum in there, could easily stick another floor on it as well 

6177e0f27ea67.jpg

Probably missing something obvious but I wonder if there is a reason why the stadium in these cgi shots doesn't have any mention of king power ..

Perhaps opening up a possibility of renaming the stadium?

8 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

It’s nice to have the approval but we shouldn’t even think about building this. It will look stupid in the championship. The KP as it is, is perfectly fine for a championship side. 

Ignoring the product but developing the infrastructure is not very bright. 

If we do get relegated then by building this we will have the infrastructure in place if the club has aspirations to come back stronger. Fulham spent a huge amount on their stadium during a relegation season and will now be reaping the rewards. It has to be done now or probably never. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, somebum said:

Probably missing something obvious but I wonder if there is a reason why the stadium in these cgi shots doesn't have any mention of king power ..

Perhaps opening up a possibility of renaming the stadium?

Don't think it would look good at application stage if it appeared to be a massive advert for King Power. Signage will come later. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

It’s nice to have the approval but we shouldn’t even think about building this. It will look stupid in the championship. The KP as it is, is perfectly fine for a championship side. 

That's a bit short sighted, isn't it? 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Is this serious?

Yes, I'm fairly certain the club and architect will have considered the practicalities.

Club: So what will the facade of the new stand look like? 

Architect: I dunno. Something in blue? How  about a load of blue inflated panels that look a bit like bubble wrap? My

mate Alan has got some he’d probably let us have cheap.

Club: Lovely!

11 hours ago, String fellow said:

That blue canopy. Is it a patchwork of separate domed triangular glass panels, or maybe plastic? Will it need cleaning occasionally, and if so, how? What if a panel gets damaged? Will the colour fade with time? Has the designer thought about it's practicalities? Would I want the roof of my house to be like that? No! It looks like some cheapo inflatable mattress or perhaps even the inside of a padded cell. Imo, the roof should be designed to incorporate solar panels to help power the floodlights, and not be some fanciful design dreamed up by architects trying to make a name for themselves.

Could get Soyuncu to clean it tbf.

• Haha 1

Thank you guys for your feedback. The question of power for the floodlights is clearly not something folk seem to be concerned about, unlike in Scotland, where the issue is being taken seriously. Let's hope City are happy with their new over-engineered, over-priced blue padded-overcoat-resembling roof!

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I'm inclined to agree especially about the championship aspect of it! But it seems that the wheels are too far set in motion. Keep the faith and all that...

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Thank you guys for your feedback. The question of power for the floodlights is clearly not something folk seem to be concerned about, unlike in Scotland, where the issue is being taken seriously. Let's hope City are happy with their new over-engineered, over-priced blue padded-overcoat-resembling roof!

Is this serious? 

Well don't worry, when we have more nuclear power then we won't have to worry about our over-priced blue padded-overcoat-resembling roof!