Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

3 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Not a massive fan either. Hope the reality is better.

It's nice. I've seem them up close in factory tours and when you see the stadiums like man city's and others on the continent then from a camera perspective it's an image capture on live tv especially with long distance drones. Plus it allows the sunlight in.

2 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Hopefully we can a few more gigs in Leicester….  Live music. (I hate to say it) is far better served in Nottingham

Would be nice if they had some smaller sections to the arena for less glamorous bands too…

I think they've gone for the 3'000 seater arena for that reason. No one knows whether they've apportioned standing seating to the arena. The KP is just over 48'000 fans x 10 days a year.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

I think they've gone for the 3'000 seater arena for that reason. No one knows whether they've apportioned standing seating to the arena. The KP is just over 48'000 fans x 10 days a year.

Isn't it 6000 I'm sure I've read that somewhere or where you  talking about something else?

Arena

A new 6,000-capacity multi-purpose arena will fill an existing gap in the East Midlands market for a medium-sized event space capable of hosting a range of events including conferences, concerts, indoor sporting events and live performances.

https://www.lcfc.com/stadiumconsultation/arena

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

Isn't it 6000 I'm sure I've read that somewhere or where you  talking about something else?

Arena

A new 6,000-capacity multi-purpose arena will fill an existing gap in the East Midlands market for a medium-sized event space capable of hosting a range of events including conferences, concerts, indoor sporting events and live performances.

Isn't it 3,000 seated, 6,000 standing :dunno:

18 minutes ago, davieG said:

Arena

Its 3'000 under the planning ticket but my guess is that you are spot on  with standing.

18 hours ago, moore_94 said:

I dunno I still think it looks pretty big - I think you could get the fanstore and a decent sized museum in there, could easily stick another floor on it as well 

6177e0f27ea67.jpg

Sorry I didn't reply. I agree, it looks like a two story portion for 50% of the rear of the building would be practical to use given the height it looks at.

29 minutes ago, davieG said:

Arena

Sorry Dave, it's 6'000 fully standing which makes sense. Stadium is 48'950 for events.

Factoring in all other types of conferences and events at part seated would be reduced but the planning ticket doesn't say so it doesn't matter how they want that to work.

Edited by UHDrive
Typo

9 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Sorry I didn't reply. I agree, it looks like a two story portion for 50% of the rear of the building would be practical to use given the height it looks at.

This is the design code which I think gives a greater indication for the final appearance of the retail. https://planning.leicester.gov.uk/Document/Download?module=PLA&recordNumber=170045&planId=633661&imageId=25&isPlan=False&fileName=C3.4 - Design Code_Part3.pdf

17B2EDFC-1248-4EF6-80D2-6B21C6161491.jpeg

• Like 2

Just now, Fox in the North said:

This is the design code which I think gives a greater indication for the final appearance of the retail. https://planning.leicester.gov.uk/Document/Download?module=PLA&recordNumber=170045&planId=633661&imageId=25&isPlan=False&fileName=C3.4 - Design Code_Part3.pdf

17B2EDFC-1248-4EF6-80D2-6B21C6161491.jpeg

Thanks!

I read that when it was submitted but I assume given the fan zone is under the outline and andy mentioned the museum that that would be a good place to locate it given the LA haven't asked for details for that yet. I doubt the planners would care if it were their anyway even if it isn't demarked as so. 

It isn't in the East Stand. Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

It’s nice to have the approval but we shouldn’t even think about building this. It will look stupid in the championship. The KP as it is, is perfectly fine for a championship side. 

Ignoring the product but developing the infrastructure is not very bright. 

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

That's a bit short sighted, isn't it? 

Is it really ? Build now. Build big. Are we ready for that. Fulham given as an example - has Fulham’s on field business been significantly restricted due to off-field investment ? I mean, infrastructure spend has significantly restricted clubs far bigger than ours. See Arsenal post invincible season. 

This isn’t a dig at the club nor is a doom and gloom post. What we’ve done this summer is not usual. We are restricted and spend outside of the team will further restrict that tor the time being. With an aim of sustainability, that is imperative on achieving and maintaining PL football - can we do that with further restrictions ? Can we do that if we are in the championship ? What was our average attendance in the C ?

Obtaining planning permission for future development - very good. Long term vision. Are we ready to compete both on and off the field - I don’t know the answer to that. 

The club apparently had its best time in the PL under Martin O’Neil - that period has been surpassed by some distance during the current period. There was a football fan or expert who would’ve expected that. Long term planning is taking into account the phenomenal training ground build and considering whether it’s right to embark and second significant build/expenditure at a similar time. 

Fyi - purely as a fan - of course I’d love us to have a stadium and facilities like this - I just don’t know if it’s the right time

22 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Is it really ? Build now. Build big. Are we ready for that. Fulham given as an example - has Fulham’s on field business been significantly restricted due to off-field investment ? I mean, infrastructure spend has significantly restricted clubs far bigger than ours. See Arsenal post invincible season. 

This isn’t a dig at the club nor is a doom and gloom post. What we’ve done this summer is not usual. We are restricted and spend outside of the team will further restrict that tor the time being. With an aim of sustainability, that is imperative on achieving and maintaining PL football - can we do that with further restrictions ? Can we do that if we are in the championship ? What was our average attendance in the C ?

Obtaining planning permission for future development - very good. Long term vision. Are we ready to compete both on and off the field - I don’t know the answer to that. 

The club apparently had its best time in the PL under Martin O’Neil - that period has been surpassed by some distance during the current period. There was a football fan or expert who would’ve expected that. Long term planning is taking into account the phenomenal training ground build and considering whether it’s right to embark and second significant build/expenditure at a similar time. 

Fyi - purely as a fan - of course I’d love us to have a stadium and facilities like this - I just don’t know if it’s the right time

When is the right time, in your eyes? 

To not go ahead with it just because we might get relegated (it's not a certainty) will be naive of us I think. 

And bear in mind these applications and thoughts to expand the stadium started at least 2-3 years ago. 

I'd say we are ready to compete on and off the field. Given the owners constantly have the long-term future of the club in mind, spending this money to increase the size of the stadium in addition to the other entertainment and leisure aspects, will benefit us. 

Things on the pitch might seem shite for now, but we shouldn't use that to negate or neglect the potential we could benefit from off the pitch. 

Average attendance in the Championship:

13/14 - 24,995 (77.5%, 6th in division, highest was QPR 90.7%)

12/13 - 22,055 (68.3%, 7th in division, highest was Blackpool (85.8%)

11/12 - 23,037 (71.4%, 8th in division, highest was Southampton 81.6%)

10/11 - 23,666 (73.3%, 8th in division, highest was Norwich, 93.2%)

09/10 - 23,943 (74.2%, 6th in division, highest was Derby 87%)

I think time and due to our successes since then, things have moved on! There's scope to expand and attendances back then are kind of irrelevant, to an extent. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Hopefully we can a few more gigs in Leicester….  Live music. (I hate to say it) is far better served in Nottingham

Would be nice if they had some smaller sections to the arena for less glamorous bands too…

You're not missing much. Every time I go past our decrepid arena in Nottingham it's Dancing On Ice live, ****ing Barry Manilow or Tony Hadley (formerly of Spandeu Ballet) 

Yes he does need the bracket according to the poster. 

48 minutes ago, StanSP said:

When is the right time, in your eyes? 

To not go ahead with it just because we might get relegated (it's not a certainty) will be naive of us I think. 

And bear in mind these applications and thoughts to expand the stadium started at least 2-3 years ago. 

I'd say we are ready to compete on and off the field. Given the owners constantly have the long-term future of the club in mind, spending this money to increase the size of the stadium in addition to the other entertainment and leisure aspects, will benefit us. 

Things on the pitch might seem shite for now, but we shouldn't use that to negate or neglect the potential we could benefit from off the pitch. 

Average attendance in the Championship:

13/14 - 24,995 (77.5%, 6th in division, highest was QPR 90.7%)

12/13 - 22,055 (68.3%, 7th in division, highest was Blackpool (85.8%)

11/12 - 23,037 (71.4%, 8th in division, highest was Southampton 81.6%)

10/11 - 23,666 (73.3%, 8th in division, highest was Norwich, 93.2%)

09/10 - 23,943 (74.2%, 6th in division, highest was Derby 87%)

I think time and due to our successes since then, things have moved on! There's scope to expand and attendances back then are kind of irrelevant, to an extent. 

The time to go ahead with it, is where we are better sustaining our current or better still, our aspirations 2-3 years ago. The argument that I’m questioning our want to embark on a second major infrastructure investment because “we might get relegated” is slightly foolish. 

I’m asking are we in a position to compete at the level where this investment is justified now and for the foreseeable - arguably we are not. Getting the planning in place doesn’t mean we have to press the button immediately or the plans go tits up. I’m saying, if ever there was a time to reassess due to current circumstances, this is that time - no one expected us to fall off a cliff like we have done. The stadium expansion may not be as high a priority as it was a 2 years ago.

11 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The time to go ahead with it, is where we are better sustaining our current or better still, our aspirations 2-3 years ago. The argument that I’m questioning our want to embark on a second major infrastructure investment because “we might get relegated” is slightly foolish. 

I’m asking are we in a position to compete at the level where this investment is justified now and for the foreseeable - arguably we are not. Getting the planning in place doesn’t mean we have to press the button immediately or the plans go tits up. I’m saying, if ever there was a time to reassess due to current circumstances, this is that time - no one expected us to fall off a cliff like we have done. The stadium expansion may not be as high a priority as it was a 2 years ago.

It's chicken and egg.

We haven't got sufficient revenues now so need the expansion to increase our football revenues.

If we don't expand we'll not evolve if we do expand we risk having a bigger stadium we don't need. But the other infrastructures, the arena, hotel will still increase our revenues enabling us to compensate for any matchday losses and allow us to challenge to get back in the PL. 

• Like 1

I honestly think if they can they should get on with knocking down that national grid building during the international break, use the land to create a site office and infrastructure and then start the groundwork during the world cup break. Would be an ideal time to make a start with little interruption.

Suppose we just don't know what they've got planned? The fact they have a contractor in place is promising though.

If they want to hit the 2024 completion I think they really need to start this year!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

If you're not moving forward; you're going backward.

Worth doing even if we do spend a season or two in the Championship.

20 minutes ago, davieG said:

It's chicken and egg.

We haven't got sufficient revenues now so need the expansion to increase our football revenues.

If we don't expand we'll not evolve if we do expand we risk having a bigger stadium we don't need. But the other infrastructures, the arena, hotel will still increase our revenues enabling us to compensate for any matchday losses and allow us to challenge to get back in the PL. 

both are very good points - I don’t agree with either but I can certainly understand the thinking. 

I do think my own thinking would be significantly different if we hadn’t already undertaken a massive construction project In the training ground. 

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Sorry to crash the party but I wanted to say that the development "envelope" for the KP expansion has everything running in sync time wise. The cash is their. Planning approval is their.

The negatives of stopping are huge. The planning only lasts a number of years. We've spent millions during this on the planning process and I'd hazard a guess engineers/architects/other consultancies and solicitors etc would be pushing £10million. Construction timeliness would be set (I understand it will be laing o' rourke as principle contractor). 

If we didn't do this now then we risk doing it in the future in circumstances unknown, having to reapply for the development in a different climate and literally burning the cash that we've spent getting this far. 

If we did go down (I don't think we will), then at least club will be making money from the stadium expansion as well as the development as a whole.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Sorry to crash the party but I wanted to say that the development "envelope" for the KP expansion has everything running in sync time wise. The cash is their. Planning approval is their.

The negatives of stopping are huge. The planning only lasts a number of years. We've spent millions during this on the planning process and I'd hazard a guess engineers/architects/other consultancies and solicitors etc would be pushing £10million. Construction timeliness would be set (I understand it will be laing o' rourke as principle contractor). 

If we didn't do this now then we risk doing it in the future in circumstances unknown, having to reapply for the development in a different climate and literally burning the cash that we've spent getting this far. 

If we did go down (I don't think we will), then at least club will be making money from the stadium expansion as well as the development as a whole.

Plus prices are rocketing for example oil change quote Sept 2021 £56 / Sept 2022 £97. Imagine how much building materials have risen and are still rising at an incredible rate.