Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

5 minutes ago, Larry_LCFC said:

I'd literally bin all this shit off if it meant we could pay off BR and get some decent investment in the squad. A music arena and 10k extra empty seats in the Championship.....brilliant.

You having a bad Monday? 

There's probably nothing in it to be honest but did occur to me that today's statement from the club didn't make any mention of this project. Unless I've somehow missed it?

• 1 month later...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-give-king-power-8225514?fbclid=IwAR068ue9zsIGWUmZCz4aULyhiLhx8LdjvsXhQj1GqqEoxjPx1i1rOCSVOZ0#

Leicester City give King Power Stadium expansion update with final agreement close
City were given the green light by Leicester City Council last September, but need to secure one final agreement before formal planning permission is granted and work can start

ByJordan Blackwell
20:34, 7 MAR 2023

Leicester City are close to finalising an agreement with the local council over the last piece of the jigsaw needed to secure formal planning permission for an expansion of the King Power Stadium.

City’s hybrid application for their plans to revamp the King Power Stadium and the surrounding area was given the green light last September, but work on the site has not yet begun.

That is because a Section 106 agreement is needed between the club and Leicester City Council. This agreement details what City will give back to the community in exchange for permission to go ahead with their plans.

In their latest set of accounts, released on Tuesday evening, City say they “are currently finalising this agreement and it is hoped it will be concluded in early 2023”. City would then be able to begin work.

The plan for the club is to build a new East Stand at their home ground and take the capacity to just over 40,000. Their hybrid application also included outline plans for a new hotel, indoor entertainment arena, flagship club shop, and a residential block, with work on those builds to come after the new stand has been completed.

However, the delays thus far mean City will not be able to hit their earliest expected completion date of summer 2024. The final part of the build has to be done during the summer, when fans are not in attendance, and so the earliest possible completion date would now be in summer 2025. City have not set a new target date themselves.

Expanding the stadium and adding to club’s revenue by getting more people to the King Power each season is part of the club’s long-term strategy. Their latest set of accounts showed that they made £21m in gate receipts in the 2021-22 season, the first in two years not to be affected by Covid.

Their accounts read: “The club is currently finalising agreements with Leicester City Council in order to obtain a formal grant of planning permission for the expansion of King Power Stadium and the development of its wider site – a long-term project that will further enhance and diversify the club’s revenue generation capability.”

In her statement, chief executive Susan Whelan added: “In order to remain compliant with the game’s regulations both domestically and in Europe – where we aim to compete regularly – our ongoing investment strategy must continue to reflect our underlying revenue progression.

“Our long-term ambition is to achieve this through on-pitch success, the commercial growth that comes with it and through the expansion of our stadium and the development of the associated masterplan.”

This, will come back to bite us on our asses.  Championship football next season, we cant fill the stadium out now Blackburn cup game evidence of this.  Biggest white elephant ever.....where is the common sense?  What a waste of money.  How about improving the concourses now, and refreshment areas which are poor.  Make the loos bigger too, to small and tiny.

4 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

This, will come back to bite us on our asses.  Championship football next season, we cant fill the stadium out now Blackburn cup game evidence of this.  Biggest white elephant ever.....where is the common sense?  What a waste of money.  How about improving the concourses now, and refreshment areas which are poor.  Make the loos bigger too, to small and tiny.

I doubt you could effectively and aesthetically increase the size of the concourses, which you'd have to do to achieve any sort of improvement without increasing the upper levels where the seats are.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Disagree. If we want to be a club that can sustainably challenge the big clubs, we have to grow our commercial revenue. Simple as that.

And the stadium expansion is part of this. 

Otherwise, the more successful we get, the higher the wages and the more likely we fall foul of FFP and take drastic action as the club have done at the start of this season. 

If you're happy for Leicester to return to being a yo-yo club, or at best mid-table mediocrity in the PL at best now and again, then I get what you're saying. 

It depends on your ambition for the club. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Do you even believe what you're saying yourself or is it just a wind up attempt?

Blackburn in the cup? That's like saying Man United should chop off 30,000 of Old Trafford because they only get 40,000 for Europa League or FA Cup early rounds. 

• Like 2

Still can't get on board with this whilst the sporting strategy is such a mess. I understand for long term growth this is essential but the sporting side of the business is in dire need of an overhaul and redirection. 

Seagrave also needs ripping up and having the hoodoo banished first as well. 

19 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Disagree. If we want to be a club that can sustainably challenge the big clubs, we have to grow our commercial revenue. Simple as that.

And the stadium expansion is part of this. 

Otherwise, the more successful we get, the higher the wages and the more likely we fall foul of FFP and take drastic action as the club have done at the start of this season. 

If you're happy for Leicester to return to being a yo-yo club, or at best mid-table mediocrity in the PL at best now and again, then I get what you're saying. 

It depends on your ambition for the club. 

The Stadium should have been extended soon after the league win to maximise the extra financial clout.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Oldblueyes said:

The Stadium should have been extended soon after the league win to maximise the extra financial clout.

This is that expansion!  You should know that it takes us longer than any other club to do anything …..

the reality is that the training ground was given priority 

If a final agreement is close I presume work will be penned in to start once the season is over. 

I wonder how long it'll take? Can't see it being less than a year, and that's generous considering all the surrounding developments too. 

So perhaps 18 months, taking us up to 2025? 

17 minutes ago, StanSP said:

If a final agreement is close I presume work will be penned in to start once the season is over. 

I wonder how long it'll take? Can't see it being less than a year, and that's generous considering all the surrounding developments too. 

They planned to carry it out like the Liverpool expansion so it would be built behind the East stand to not impact on the current attendances.

would then be filled in during the off season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StanSP said:

From the Merc article... 

The final part of the build has to be done during the summer, when fans are not in attendance, and so the earliest possible completion date would now be in summer 2025. City have not set a new target date themselves.

• Like 1

Just get on with it. Suggest some posters google ''vision'' ''stretegy'' ''growth'' ''value creation'' 'I could go on and on.

But but but we didn't fill to capacity against Blackburn and we might get relegated. 

• Like 4