Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

1 hour ago, Skid_1884 said:

the priorities have to lay elsewhere.

This is a King Power project a multi million pound company that have built their empire up with hotels and other projects so I doubt they would find this a distraction from the football on the pitch. You're talking of two different entities. The people running these are quite capable of having multi projects on the go at the same time. 

Big business wouldn't thrive if they only concentrated on one priority at a time.

Whether it goes ahead in the short to medium term i'm sure KP will decide based on many inputs not just how the football is going.

• Like 2

I know life and running a club isn't a computer game, however in my days of playing LMA, if I filled my ground I wanted to build bigger. My view is a full stadium means a fan is missing out, if we can fill it in the championship it isn't big enough. Does it really matter if I'm not rubbing shoulders with other fans? It's not like it will ruin our amazing atmosphere having a few empty seats :giggle:

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

Lot of if's there. Don't forget in as recent as 2001 our home attendances at Filbert Street were sometimes 15,000 in the Premier League. The idea of a 32,000 seater stadium seemed ludicrous to some. 2 years later we were selling it out most weeks in the second tier. 

The fanbase has only got bigger and will continue to do so. I don't think we should be thinking about the absolute worst case scenario all the time with shit like this. 

Ok we’ll see, couldn’t even fill the ground for a play off semi final when last in the championship.

3 hours ago, davieG said:

If KP have the money, and the stadium and surrounds are theirs not LCFCs then there's no logical reason not to expand and build the surrounds..

People worried about empty seats that's easily resolved give them out to local schools, low income people, hospital workers. There's so many people that could and would benefit from the occasional free match ticket and if when the kids grow up or the people's lives improve they could end up being lifetime supporters and attendees.

This is an excellent point about giving seats away. When I was at school in the 60's we got free tickets for some games, sitting in the corner of the double decker. I'm sure this encouraged many to attend games in the future

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skid_1884 said:

Ok we’ll see, couldn’t even fill the ground for a play off semi final when last in the championship.

Our fans are bizarre like that, it was sold out the game before for a dead rubber against Boro if i remember right. It was a first leg as well. But all you've done is prove my point about the fanbase. They'll be 32,000 there against Coventry.

The hardcore when we were last in the Championship was about 23/24 on Saturdays and 18-21 midweek. It'll be 27-32 on Saturdays and 23+ on midweeks now. 

I'm willing to bet our season ticket holders would go up a lot if/when the expansion happens. So that core fanbase is only going to be going up. Like i said the leap from Filbert Street attendances (where you could get tickets most weeks in the Premier League with about 18,000 available) was big. 

Obviously they aren't envisaging staying in the Championship for years with this new extension. But realistically they'll start to make the money back quick with the arena and a few years in the Premier League (i think we will go up this season). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Our fans are bizarre like that, it was sold out the game before for a dead rubber against Boro if i remember right. It was a first leg as well. But all you've done is prove my point about the fanbase. They'll be 32,000 there against Coventry.

The hardcore when we were last in the Championship was about 23/24 on Saturdays and 18-21 midweek. It'll be 27-32 on Saturdays and 23+ on midweeks now. 

I'm willing to bet our season ticket holders would go up a lot if/when the expansion happens. So that core fanbase is only going to be going up. Like i said the leap from Filbert Street attendances (where you could get tickets most weeks in the Premier League with about 18,000 available) was big. 

Obviously they aren't envisaging staying in the Championship for years with this new extension. But realistically they'll start to make the money back quick with the arena and a few years in the Premier League (i think we will go up this season). 

Agree with everything you said and I wanted the expansion to happen as an existing ST holder.

But after relegation for me it should not be a priority and gain no more traction until we establish ourselves back in the premier league.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Gamble92 said:

Terrible pricing last time we were in the championship knocked a few 1000 of the crowd

Particularly  those “platinum” fixtures they used to have 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skid_1884 said:

Agree with everything you said and I wanted the expansion to happen as an existing ST holder.

But after relegation for me it should not be a priority and gain no more traction until we establish ourselves back in the premier league.

I have no idea why that would be the case. We've spent 8 years with sold out home games to the point kids/new fans cannot get to see their team unless it's a shitty league cup tie against some lower division cannon fodder. You don't wait til we're sold out to invest in the infrastructure, you do it while there's a lull. We experience the same issues now that we used to get in the final seasons at Filbert Street. People assume there's no tickets available. So many don't even bother checking because there's constant sold out notices on the website, you need to get a membership just to get yourself in the STH queue. If we go straight back up we'll be back at square one with another two year wait just to get the thing built. Build it and they will come. West Ham & Spurs have proved that in recent seasons.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Skid_1884 said:

...would establishing ourselves be staying in the Prem for five consecutive seasons or is it as soon as we get promoted!!!

You seem to think in the short term and looking to react to circumstances, as opposed to looking ahead. We have all witnessed what happens when no plans are made and we make knee jerk decisions to correct it.

We need the expansion, the extra revenue is needed, but the club needs to address how those extra seats are put on the market, because there seems little concession for the casual walk up supporters. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

I hate to break it to you, but outside of the rich 6, no team is established in the PL. Of the current PL, I could be wrong but only West Ham have had more than 10 consecutive seasons in the PL outside the big money 6 and Everton - both West Ham and Everton could have dropped this season and will always flirt with relegation every few seasons.

The biggest mistake we can make is waiting - we need to be prepared for when we are back up again.

A stadium extension will pay for itself eventually, and will also add to us gaining sponsorships and better players.

I think it was Martin O’Neil who used to walk players out backwards so they could see the Carling stand when they were ready to sign. 
We need to get a move on with this now

Like Seagrave was going to attract Messi according to most on here.

Do you think West Ham would get 50k in the Championship?

People are comparing us with premier league clubs which I hate to break it to you, we are not.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2023 at 10:22, Skid_1884 said:

You could turn that on its head and say anyone wanting the expansion is only people who care about their own situation in getting a ST.

I haven’t seen anyone say in the long term we should not expand but we are now in the championship and the priorities have to lay elsewhere.

I am not chasing a ST, but I do recognise its clearly needed to progress the club, it should have been done ahead of that training ground project really.

This applies even if its half empty when playing in lower leagues.

39 minutes ago, Ashley said:

This. 

Arctic Monkeys playing Sheffield 2 days in a row bought in £4.1m to the local economy. Obviously the arena would only hold about 20k but its still beneficial for the City of Leicester

The arena would be far smaller than that.

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Around 5K

Id read they were going more like Hull and Cov arena in size as neither the space, amenities or desire to go up against Nottingham/Birmingham in size of theirs.

Ah man ☹️

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Ah man ☹️

To be fair, I've read reports that large arenas are not massive money spinners and can be quite hard to turn a profit.  

Where as mid sized ones get alot more business due to conferences, mid sized bands/ performers etc