Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Fox99

As we know, attendances have been continually over 30k this season, which has answered some doubts over whether we would sustain the same PL occupancy. This of course only makes the case for expansion stronger especially from the club's point of view. There are always going to be factors with attendances but it seems as though we've significantly moved on to that next level as a club now (makes sense given recent success). This leads me to wonder whether the expansion could begin next summer, hopefully ahead of a new PL campaign.

Edited by AlexFT

11 minutes ago, AlexFT said:

As we know, attendances have been continually over 30k this season, which has answered some doubts over whether we would sustain the same PL occupancy. In turn, this of course only makes the case for expansion stronger especially from the club's point of view. There are always going to be factors to attendances but it seems as though we've significantly moved on to that next level as a club now (makes sense given recent success). This leads me to wonder whether the expansion could begin next summer, hopefully ahead of a new PL campaign.

Yes the attendances have been strong so far but I think our fan base are just happy to see us winning and playing great football after the dirge of the late Rodgers era. We’ve made the best start to a championship season ever and there’s a buzz around the place despite relegation. I’m not for one minute suggesting we don’t go up but if we were to get stuck in the 2nd tier (Stoke, Swansea being prime examples after an extended stay in the PL) attendances would likely plummet.

I really hope the expansion does go ahead as I think it’d be great for the club and city but I always remember going to Barnsley at home in about 2012 early December and the attendance was around 21k! That was with the current owners and Pearson in charge so it wasn’t too long ago. They’re probably erring on the side of caution until things settle again 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

Yes the attendances have been strong so far but I think our fan base are just happy to see us winning and playing great football after the dirge of the late Rodgers era. We’ve made the best start to a championship season ever and there’s a buzz around the place despite relegation. I’m not for one minute suggesting we don’t go up but if we were to get stuck in the 2nd tier (Stoke, Swansea being prime examples after an extended stay in the PL) attendances would likely plummet.

I really hope the expansion does go ahead as I think it’d be great for the club and city but I always remember going to Barnsley at home in about 2012 early December and the attendance was around 21k! That was with the current owners and Pearson in charge so it wasn’t too long ago. They’re probably erring on the side of caution until things settle again 

...like HS2, the longer you wait the more expensive it becomes!!!

The cost of materials and manpower is going up all the time and we need to make the decision and start right now. Had we started last season it would have saved us money in the long run.

Infrastructure does not impact FFP, so any money put in by King Power could be used as a loan and paid off over an agreed period of time.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Pita said:

Can’t see the explanation going ahead for a few years. Got to get back to the premiership and stay up 

I could be wrong, But I thought Top has stated previously that the Stadium Expansion wasn't dependent on us going straight back up.

We need it anyway as I think even more would go to games if they were sure of getting Tickets.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, AlexFT said:

As we know, attendances have been continually over 30k this season, which has answered some doubts over whether we would sustain the same PL occupancy. This of course only makes the case for expansion stronger especially from the club's point of view. There are always going to be factors with attendances but it seems as though we've significantly moved on to that next level as a club now (makes sense given recent success). This leads me to wonder whether the expansion could begin next summer, hopefully ahead of a new PL campaign.

But it looks like they're struggling to sell Hospitality Packages and I suspect a good part of any justification to expand is more of those and Boxes certainly judging from that survey they put out a few years ago. None of which was about the majority of  fans that go to watch the football, meet some mates/family and go home. It was all about add ons where they could charge a premium they need to be in the PL for that.

I'm all for the expansion but I hope it's to get more younger adults in at decent match day prices. I don't live in hope though.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...like HS2, the longer you wait the more expensive it becomes!!!

The cost of materials and manpower is going up all the time and we need to make the decision and start right now. Had we started last season it would have saved us money in the long run.

Infrastructure does not impact FFP, so any money put in by King Power could be used as a loan and paid off over an agreed period of time.

All very true. The increased Income could be used to pay off the loan in a few Years. A win win for the Club and Fans.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Staffs Fox said:

The season 2013-14 that we won the championship at a canter we never sold out until Doncaster on the final day 22k ish at start of season up to 27k ish later on. 

22-23k was about average for us for seasons in tier 2, as long as we get back up we will keep selling out but linger here for a few years and some fans would drop off again.

Go back a bit further (late 80’s) and 11k was a good crowd at FS, so it’s naturally grown and will again with a bigger ground.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

As I said in the traffic thread the other day the roads, networks and infrastructure need considering and improving first and foremost before this actually goes ahead.

The City can't cope as it is.

having road works up for 6 months doesn't help but that's another story

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, davieG said:

It's no use making it bigger and sticking to the current selling practices. It needs to be so that people can decide on the day obviously not going to go back cash on the turnstile but make so you can buy tickets on line on the day on your phone, I guess you'd still have to be registered but any insistence on having to fork out for a membership needs to stop it's just robbery.

with the NFT ticketing you should be able to buy one anytime and scan it even 1 minute before the gates close, that's the beauty of the tech.

Edited by whoareyaaa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davieG said:

But it looks like they're struggling to sell Hospitality Packages and I suspect a good part of any justification to expand is more of those and Boxes certainly judging from that survey they put out a few years ago. None of which was about the majority of  fans that go to watch the football, meet some mates/family and go home. It was all about add ons where they could charge a premium they need to be in the PL for that.

I'm all for the expansion but I hope it's to get more younger adults in at decent match day prices. I don't live in hope though.

I’m not shocked.  The hospitality packages are massively overpriced in my view.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

with the NFT ticketing you should be able to buy one anytime and scan it even 1 minute before the gates close, that's the beauty of the tech.

I think he’s referring to the fact you need to be a member as no general sale.  Been a STH for years so no idea if that is actually the case but I think it is.

Incidentally, do you need to be a member to buy WSL tickets? A bit double standards if not.

1 hour ago, SilverFox said:

I’m not shocked.  The hospitality packages are massively overpriced in my view.  

Would love to know why you say this and on what basis. I have season tickets in hospitality and use hospitality at away grounds and Leicester are very competitive. QPR and Swansea both more expensive. Blackburn a rip off. One of the reasons we struggle to  move the expansion on is the lack of high return sales such as hospitality. You cannot compete in the Premier League without high end revenue, ordinary matchday punters don’t cut it. An extra 10000 at only 30 quid a pop will not move the needle.  An extra 30 boxes is better margins but Leicester does not have the big spenders to make it work. It’s like long haul flights no profit in the back it’s all in the Premium Seats.

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Price reductions not occurring has been met with only 50% occupancy in hospitality from what I've been told.

12 minutes ago, Globalfox said:

Would love to know why you say this and on what basis. I have season tickets in hospitality and use hospitality at away grounds and Leicester are very competitive. QPR and Swansea both more expensive. Blackburn a rip off. One of the reasons we struggle to  move the expansion on is the lack of high return sales such as hospitality. You cannot compete in the Premier League without high end revenue, ordinary matchday punters don’t cut it. An extra 10000 at only 30 quid a pop will not move the needle.  An extra 30 boxes is better margins but Leicester does not have the big spenders to make it work. It’s like long haul flights no profit in the back it’s all in the Premium Seats.

I know a number of people who let their hospitality season tickets go as they were not prepared to pay premier league prices for championship football.