Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheStig

Effect of results on our mood?

In my youth it basically made or broke my weekend.

Now hitting 50 and with kids, refuse to let a defeat bother me that much as it just isnt worth the self torture.

Still get buzzing for a win though!!!

1 hour ago, Milo said:

It has evolved over time, for me.

When I was younger, I enjoyed wins and endured losses in equal amounts. 

The great escape season I enjoyed most matches - win, lose or draw. The season after was ok, too.

Nowadays, losses seem to make me a little more miserable than wins make me happy.

(And slow, dull, passive, lethargic performances just make me fvcking angry)

So, yeah, I've been mostly angry since about February.   

Pretty much this.

I've almost gave up on football completely atm can't be arsed with it.

I think expectations have took over and with the shit refs, VAR its just not enjoyable at the minute

• Like 2

When I moved abroad,  I had to shut myself away from any game commentary.  It hurt so much being so far removed (geographically) because Leicester and Leicester City are a huge part of my identity. I would only look once the game was over and I even managed to wait until the following day if the game had little bearing on the season. 

They are also two of my protective factors, things that keep me going and a big part of who I am. As such choice doesn't come into it. I like following the fortunes of County and Tigers but it doesn't matter that much. City mean something very different and it could never change.

So yes, it stings like hell if we lose and I have been low for several weeks if we have just missed out on promotion or have had been embarrassed in a cup game. It is worse when we have been relegated and going into League One left me feeling like I was grieving. 

Winning League Cups were incredible times but even they were nothing compared to being Premier league Champions,  FA Cup winners and being the last English team in the 2016/2017 Champions league. Joy and pride in equal amounts, far better than any antidepressant. 

It’s not just the city. Any sport. Any reverse will piss me off. I’ve never got over Tom Watson taking five on 18 at Turnberry for example.

However we should know better than others the importance of the lows in terms of their contributions to the highs.

Not so much the wins and losses ruining my weekend (we have to treat both these imposters just the same)...

But I still occasionally wake up at 03:00 with a sick feeling in my stomach about some of the  injustices which have been perpetrated against us or instances of extreme bad luck we've suffered.

I can think of 4 or 5 instances, some of them happened eons ago, and my fists are clenching. :P

You'd think 2016 and 2021 might have wiped the slate, but no. I really am that petty.

2 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

A defeat used to ruin my weekend

Now I’ve forgotten about it 5mins after FT

I’m not sure if that’s down to winning the League, growing up, or just losing interest

I’m the opposite to that. Defeat now means anguish and hurt for 48 hours. Win and I’m walking up the lounge walls. 

I do get the feeling now that we are in a Rodgers death spiral and I’m not sure Fofana will be back in time to halt it 

3 hours ago, KFS said:

Funny how we all differ isn’t it. For me it’s the severity of the game and what it means. Legia raised a smirk off me and I thought it was cute that they made t-shirts. The Deeney moment nearly cost me my second year of uni, I was sat there staring in a contract law exam rethinking the whole debacle.

...what was it that drew your mind to the game in that instance!!!

It used to effect me more. The lows in particular. I remember feeling like shit for a week after the Cardiff play-off loss in particular, the Watford one too.

I think it's because at that time (late 00s, early mid-10s), I was generally very unhappy in life. I had little going for me, so football was a big focus in my life. Whereas now, I'm a 'proper' adult with a decent job, a wife and baby, football just isn't that important anymore.

Don't get me wrong, a win still puts me in a cracking mood and a poor result/performance still puts me in a bit of a sulk for a couple of hours lol

I think its like most things, when we lose, it's frustrating and does leave a 'downer' for a couple of hours....after that, it's pretty much forgotten.

Very similar with when we win though, the good feeling is lost after a couple of hours.

Football isn't worth getting too stressed about when you consider how bad life can be for some.

As for the players, people like Kasper have got clear passion. Besides him, and a couple more,  it's simply a case of turning up and collecting your pay cheque. I'd be very suprised if most are that bothered by the time they get back into the changing room, let alone hours after.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 2

It used to rank very high in importance, which perhaps suggests I really didn't have enough in my life for me to care about. Now, it bothers me less as I have made some personal progress. I enjoyed attending the Spartak game, but did find myself wondering how many more games I'll be going to in the future.

Guest Col city fan

If City’s results genuinely do affect your mood I think you need to have a bit of a look at yourself. Talk about first world problems!

I love City doing well but I’m well past the belief that it’s the ‘be-all and end-all’

There’s much better things to worry about tbh than hugely paid sportsmen not doing particularly well on the field of play 

It depends on your mindset. You can let it ruin your day/weekend if you want it to.

Coming off twitter has helped a lot because I don’t spend 2/3 hours after the game scrolling trying to dissect it all and argue with idiots.

As soon as I’ve left the ground I’ve dealt with it. Enjoy the wins when they come and try and forget about the defeats when they happen. 

I’ve seen the highest of highs and the lowest of lows with our club. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Better than it used to be and certainly in recent years due to the ’transition’ I really don’t feel too bothered or much empathy that I can buy into how we play.

Just a general feeling of ‘meh’.

Unless someone dares to say the referee has been shit 

Agree with a few points in this thread about caring less since the league win. A dreary 1-0 defeat to (insert mid table team here) doesn't matter that much in the grand scheme of things.

I think personally I've just been desensitised to it all. Home and away for many years I've been to matches and lost, won, drawn. They don't define how we'll be forever, and a 1-0 loss might be followed by a 3-0 win. I almost now hit the reset button when I leave the ground. Onto the next game. Lack of interest is one root of this, but just the wider perspective of me being unable to do anything about it is another. I went, I saw, I'll go again.

If I'm at an away game for the weekend, or with friends in town after a home game, the last thing I'm going to do is let a football match affect my mood, though obviously a win would be nice.

3 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

I get more pissed off about it in the immediate aftermath but I don't let it ruin my weekend. That said, I had to go for a walk when we lost to Bournemouth, Slavia Prague and Newcastle. 

Strangely I only listen to Radio Leicester when we do something shit.

Yes, the Bournemouth collapse led to me sitting at the bottom of the garden as the darkness gathered, literally and metaphorically. Utterly unhinged reaction on my part, but I've always been like that. I do think the joy of a win outlasts the gloom of a defeat, happily!

14 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I started to care much less after we won the league and even less after we won the FA Cup. Not to be all hipster about it but that's just how it is.

....pretty honest and open admission, after the League and F.A. Cup, it is let's go out and do it again to prove that it wasn't a fluke. 

Hard to believe we will win the league again but the F.A Cup is doable and is as much a quest to win it again as it was previously. Winning it twice removes any element of luck...perhaps a warped way of thinking but I wonder how do the tennis players and athletes view their success.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.