Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox1980

Set Pieces

Anyone thinking that players with our defensive quaities, that can't defend zonally or block runners at corners or free kicks, is probably in cloud cuckoo land if they think they'll do any better in a man for man marking system. They don't have the make up to get the first touch on anything, anywhere, anyhow.

Edited by l444ry

It's not just the goals we concede from set pieces, that's bad enough. It's all the near misses we have where you grimace as another one just flies past the post or gets blocked somehow. It's general disarray with anything that comes in. Teams now treat them as others have joked as near enough penalties. Another team or manager in Prem would be absolutely hauled over the coals for this. Our achievements of late are the only thing stopping that although media punditry now fully aware and will become our talking point for months. 

• Like 1

Defending set pieces has been our main problem since the first game back from covid against Watford. This ongoing issue isn’t what bugs me though, it’s Brendan coming out saying “our set pieces are our Achilles heel” like we’ve all been living under a rock for the last 14 months.. We’ve had well over a year to sort it out but we’ve either chose to pretend it’s not there or thought it will just go away overnight.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago Rodgers said "Set Pieces have never been an issue". Telling.

Econometric modellers — people burying their heads in the sand | LARS P.  SYLL

I think he was misquoted, I can’t remember the exact sentence but I think the “there’s not a problem” but was quoted but there was more said around it.

that said he doesn’t seem to be doing much about it.

21 minutes ago, Trelleh said:

Defending set pieces has been our main problem since the first game back from covid against Watford. This ongoing issue isn’t what bugs me though, it’s Brendan coming out saying “our set pieces are our Achilles heel” like we’ve all been living under a rock for the last 14 months.. We’ve had well over a year to sort it out but we’ve either chose to pretend it’s not there or thought it will just go away overnight.

You could be right,  but there is another possibility. Specifically that our defenders have become a bit sh*t. :dunno:
Cags was again abysmal, Jonny was doing God knows what with that header when Buendia scored, wrestling with Castagne perhaps.

The issue with set pieces is long standing and Rodgers has admitted it now publicly. He has to fix it now but everyone needs to do it with him.

Edited by Dahnsouff

Guest Kopfkino
4 hours ago, Matt said:

Wasn't it only a few weeks ago Rodgers said "Set Pieces have never been an issue". Telling.

Econometric modellers — people burying their heads in the sand | LARS P.  SYLL

I don’t think that’s what he meant, I think it might have been the front post thing. Either that or he didn’t mean it.

He can’t genuinely believe it because about this time last season he said it was an issue. An issue that would be helped by getting Castagne and Soyuncu back from injury lol Just remember that when someone says Fofana and Justin will help

Having attended yesterday, I’ve reluctantly concluded that Kasper is a very big part of the problem.

I suspect he won’t be dropped though. Maybe he can improve on his weak points, but at this stage of his career you’d assume not 

Other issues: changing defensive formation too often (Rodgers’s fault), low confidence, Ndidi performing poorly 

The zonal marking thing I’m in two minds about. We are clearly rubbish at it, but other teams show it can work 

Genuine question..

What is Ward like with crosses? 

Most of us probably haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement. Does anybody know what his level is specifically in terms of coming and claiming high balls into the box?

21 hours ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Spot on, also what really got me when KDH was fouled in the penalty box and he was the only Leicester player to complain to the ref, non of his team mates backed him up. They just didn't seem bothered, just carried on as nothing had happened, no wonder the ref didn't get it checked by VAR

Yes. Interesting. Notice how "angry" Villa players were, particularly Young. That's a good tactic from them. Proves how little street wisdom we have. Definitely a penalty and they knew it. 

Please learn from this City. If we give away a penalty, protest like Fuchs at the fouled player. 

• Like 1

It becomes a bit of a “joke” when the commentary teams have resorted to identifying our weaknesses at defending set pieces.

At last Brendan has acknowledged there is an issue.  So, having recognised it, please DO something different.

For me the penalty area is far too congested - and we actually invite this scenario upon ourselves.  Stick Barnes and Vardy on the half way line next game and watch the opposition panic set in …. because “this isn’t what Leicester do”.  Let’s disrupt our opponents thought process at least.

Read on the Mercury that Kasper has one of the worst records for expected goals conceded.

He was one of the worst in the league the previous season as well.

Yep, he's a brilliant big match player but he's been consistently underperforming now and his lack of proactivity on claiming the ball from crosses into the box is just making a bad situation even worse. 

The presence of Kasper and Soyuncu in the team should be really questioned. 

Edited by lcfc_forever

On 05/12/2021 at 17:54, Nod.E said:

Why not just try something different? At least if we saw men on posts or man to man marking, we'd know something different has been worked on.

What on earth is the point in persisting in something that has been proven to fail miserably?

...there is a knack to this defending from corners!!!

Daka was on the post for one of the goals, he failed to push up and played Kontas on. There second goal (if I  recall) would have been ruled offside, had he moved up, there is a fine line.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...there is a knack to this defending from corners!!!

Daka was on the post for one of the goals, he failed to push up and played Kontas on. There second goal (if I  recall) would have been ruled offside, had he moved up, there is a fine line.

Eh?

You're thinking of the first goal, which wasn't a corner. You don't have players on posts for free kicks else you obviously play everyone onside. You can't be offside from a corner anyway (unless there's a flick on. Even so, very rare.)

The first goal and Daka playing Konsa on came about because Evans spooned it up in the air (mistake one) and our players (particularly Daka) panicked and ran for the goal line in the second phase (mistake 3). This was punctuated by neither Kasper or a defender winning the loose ball 5 yards from our goal line (mistake 2). 

Players on posts for corners has the potential to improve one aspect of our set piece woe, but it might be a start. We have to start somewhere.

Maybe after that some of our defenders and our keeper might start winning some of their battles. Until then, let's do what we can to limit the goals, eh?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nod.E said:

Maybe after that some of our defenders and our keeper might start winning some of their battles. Until then, let's do what we can to limit the goals, eh?

The problem with winning aerial duels in a Zonal marking system is that the opposition get to pick the match ups. Don't fancy going against Soyuncu or Evans? Have the ball played into Thomas' or Castagne' zone and have Tyron Mings and the likes go up against them....

I just can't understand why we persist with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scotch said:

The problem with winning aerial duels in a Zonal marking system is that the opposition get to pick the match ups. Don't fancy going against Soyuncu or Evans? Have the ball played into Thomas' or Castagne' zone and have Tyron Mings and the likes go up against them....

I just can't understand why we persist with it. 

I can see merit as the rest of our players are rather short and chasing runners can be tricky and disorganized.

The real solution I think is that Evans and Soyuncu should always be going after the ball and head away. When Morgan was still playing, you can be 90% sure either him or Evans (or Huth or Maguire) will head the ball away. Nowadays, you just never know and too many times we get caught ball watching seemingly because our players are confused who should do what and who should go after the ball. I don’t know of course but it seems to me for experienced defenders like Evans and Soyuncu this is basic 101 for them so I reckon Rodgers must be over doing it with too many details and rules, as his comments seem to suggest.

Give liberty to our two CBs and instruction should simply be: line up across the box and then simply go for the ball. The rest can track runners. Presently, there is always a split second hesitation around who should go towards the ball. Fix this first.

• Like 1