Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

January 2022 Transfer Window

The window opens in 52 days. 

Will we do any business? 

I’d expect Mendy to move on. Maybe some of the loans (Hirst) to come back if they’re not getting the game time required. 

Maybe we move Benkovic on? 

We've got the players, especially with JJ and WF returning. We just need to remind them all how to play football. 

Whilst most of the summer business was decent, we did nothing to strengthen the starting line up, and we made a couple of poor buys. That's the frustration.

Just now, AKCJ said:

Can't see us buying anyone. The squad is pretty much full.

We've possibly 1 spot but does seem unlikely we'll do much business other than to get rid of unwanted players if we can.

Just shows though how much of an overhaul we need as we are " full " of 1st team players and yet the balance isn't right, I'm now in the mindset of us ripping it apart and going again. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

We've possibly 1 spot but does seem unlikely we'll do much business other than to get rid of unwanted players if we can.

Just shows though how much of an overhaul we need as we are " full " of 1st team players and yet the balance isn't right, I'm now in the mindset of us ripping it apart and going again. 

In my view, we are naturally coming to the end of a cycle with the current squad, and I would agree we are a little unbalanced. 

I think we have good players but don't seem to suit several formations. We always seem one injury away from not being able to play a number of formations. 

Please, for the love of God, bring in a quality RM/RW in this window or the next.  

I can't stand another season of having a bit part cheap option being brought in like Under, Lookman 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

In my view, we are naturally coming to the end of a cycle with the current squad, and I would agree we are a little unbalanced. 

I think we have good players but don't seem to suit several formations. We always seem one injury away from not being able to play a number of formations. 

Please, for the love of God, bring in a quality RM/RW in this window or the next.  

I can't stand another season of having a bit part cheap option being brought in like Under, Lookman 

That is what Utd. thought with Sancho, remember £75 million and 270 grand a week for what? I can't think of anybody out there who wouldn't cost an arm and a leg and would make a substantial difference. We must plan for Tieleman's departure that is the number one priority.

I think the summer will be a big one for us. 

Tielemans is off, I think we all see that. It looks like it might be time to try and get what we can for Maddison. I can see Ricardo and Soyuncu quietly asking to move on. Evans is getting to his last legs. The RW issue is still there. 

That's like 6 important first team positions that we MUST fill with quality on top of any squad improvements we need to make. How we deal with this transition will determine were we compete in the league for the next few years so ots vital we get it right. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, Scotch said:

I think the summer will be a big one for us. 

Tielemans is off, I think we all see that. It looks like it might be time to try and get what we can for Maddison. I can see Ricardo and Soyuncu quietly asking to move on. Evans is getting to his last legs. The RW issue is still there. 

That's like 6 important first team positions that we MUST fill with quality on top of any squad improvements we need to make. How we deal with this transition will determine were we compete in the league for the next few years so ots vital we get it right. 

I hope you're wrong about Tielemans, but suspect you're right - and I'm sure you're right about Evans, given his age and injury issues, even if some of his recent performances have been excellent.

For me, the jury's out on the other 4, though, not least as I'm not sure how much interest there'd currently be from "bigger" clubs:

- Maddison has sporadically been excellent for us, including 1st half of last season & is still capable of good performances, but would a "big" club want to risk it with his injury issues & inconsistency?

- Ricardo was arguably our best player 2 years ago & looked destined to go to the rich boys, but seems to have lost a bit since his injury

- Soyuncu has lots of the attributes to be a world-class centre half & has been excellent for us most of the time, but prone to erratic performances when under stress or without an experienced CB next to him?

- Yes, the RW issue is still there, but haven't there been signs that Lookman might (and only "might") be the solution & I understand his loan has an option to buy?

Any of those 4 might prove - or re-prove - themselves over the coming months. In which case, they might be valued players in a good LCFC side or of interest to richer clubs. But if they don't prove/re-prove themselves, will they get a better offer?

More immediately and returning to topic, our January transfer window will be heavily influenced by who the manager is.I find it hard to imagine Solskjaer still being MUFC manager by Xmas, given the scale of the discontent and speculation. I also find it hard to imagine MUFC waiting until summer for a new manager or Rodgers turning the job down if offered it in the coming weeks.....though he might not be offered it. If we do see a manager change, the new bloke will surely want to sign 1-2 new players in January (though doubtless more in January), depending on the style and formations he wants to play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

More immediately and returning to topic, our January transfer window will be heavily influenced by who the manager is.I find it hard to imagine Solskjaer still being MUFC manager by Xmas, given the scale of the discontent and speculation. I also find it hard to imagine MUFC waiting until summer for a new manager or Rodgers turning the job down if offered it in the coming weeks.....though he might not be offered it. If we do see a manager change, the new bloke will surely want to sign 1-2 new players in January (though doubtless more in January), depending on the style and formations he wants to play.

....cannot see a change in manager before the end of the season, Rodgers not leaving midseason and United has probably agreed to wait!!!

No funds going to be spent in January, wrong time and a poor market place.

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....cannot see a change in manager before the end of the season, Rodgers not leaving midseason and United has probably agreed to wait!!!

No funds going to be spent in January, wrong time and a poor market place.

I can't see us wanting to change manager before the season end and imagine that Rodgers might prefer to wait till summer if offered the MU job - but I can see him and us not being offered that choice, contract notwithstanding.

Maybe MU will give Solskjaer longer, but I can imagine him going soon - especially if there is another poor result (e.g. Watford or Villareal). That's pure guesswork and I might be wrong - we'll find out soon.

Of course, Solksjaer might go but Rodgers not be offered the job or (much less likely) might turn it down. But I have a feeling this is the calm before the storm. Hope I'm wrong as we could do without the disruption of a mid-season manager change.

I'd usually agree re. the January transfer market - and if Rodgers is still here, I'd expect few or no incoming players, maybe just 1-2 leaving (maybe not even that, given African absentees).

But a new manager would change that equation. I'm sure it wouldn't mean a mass influx of new signings in January, but maybe 1-2, then a slightly bigger turnover in the summer.

35 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I can't see us wanting to change manager before the season end and imagine that Rodgers might prefer to wait till summer if offered the MU job - but I can see him and us not being offered that choice, contract notwithstanding.

Maybe MU will give Solskjaer longer, but I can imagine him going soon - especially if there is another poor result (e.g. Watford or Villareal). That's pure guesswork and I might be wrong - we'll find out soon.

Of course, Solksjaer might go but Rodgers not be offered the job or (much less likely) might turn it down. But I have a feeling this is the calm before the storm. Hope I'm wrong as we could do without the disruption of a mid-season manager change.

I'd usually agree re. the January transfer market - and if Rodgers is still here, I'd expect few or no incoming players, maybe just 1-2 leaving (maybe not even that, given African absentees).

But a new manager would change that equation. I'm sure it wouldn't mean a mass influx of new signings in January, but maybe 1-2, then a slightly bigger turnover in the summer.

.....did they (Man. United) recently issued a statement that they were prepared to give Ole more time in charge!!!

6 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Lookman has been good when he’s played. Tactics and formations have been more the issue to inhibit it. As well as some big injuries of course. 

Evans is on last legs so replacing him is a must. Tarkowski is closest I see to him as a successor. Physicality, leadership and positioning to help Wes and / or Soyuncu. 

28 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....did they (Man. United) recently issued a statement that they were prepared to give Ole more time in charge!!!

The concept of the "vote of confidence" seems to have disappeared in recent years. In olden days, a struggling manager would be given a "vote of confidence". Then, a week later or after the next bad defeat, in 95% of cases he'd be sacked.

I'd say that Solskjaer has been given an unofficial vote of confidence. If they go on a good run, he might be alright. But if MU lose to Watford or Villareal, I'd be astonished if he's kept on.

Of course, that doesn't mean that Brendan is offered or takes the job. But if he is offered the job, unfortunately I think he'll go - and that would almost certainly impact our January transfer window, that's all I'm saying.