Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

Is it time...

Rodgers out?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. Rodgers out?

• Yes
    • No

Guest Danny Clender
5 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

So why is half our supporters claiming he is stubborn and doesn’t make changes? Some fans need to realise perhaps there is no one magic best starting XI and it depends on who and where you are playing, form, injuries and lots of other factors across the week in training.

For someone who always ****s in the 12 he’s done alright over the last couple of season hasn’t he.

I think this is my personal biggest thing right now, he's tried so many plans and they're not working.

When I ruminate over options for BR he seems to have tried them all now, bar going nuclear and I think this is about his only last remaining option, which is utterly decimating the team, which then the board have to make the decision, team or management.  

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

There’s no arguing with idiots who have already made their mind up. I believe, though you are very wrong and if Rodgers does leave we will regret it as a club.

And there’s no arguing with idiots who somehow and with no apparent reason think he’ll suddenly turn this round. In essence we’ve been shite for approaching two years now, bar a few purple patches here and there. 

It may well be a case of ‘careful what you wish for’ but Rodgers will 100% be gone in the summer anyway. Better to get rid now, whilst we can still possibly make something of the season, and allow the new manager time to assess the squad, rather than  games v Shepshed Dynamo in the summer.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

And there’s no arguing with idiots who somehow and with no apparent reason think he’ll suddenly turn this round. In essence we’ve been shite for approaching two years now, bar a few purple patches here and there. 

It may well be a case of ‘careful what you wish for’ but Rodgers will 100% be gone in the summer anyway. Better to get rid now, whilst we can still possibly make something of the season, and allow the new manager time to assess the squad, rather than  games v Shepshed Dynamo in the summer.

Exaggeration central again. Pissed off as anyone with yesterday but we ain’t been shit for two years. Neither are we playing Shepshed any time soon 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Exaggeration central again. Pissed off as anyone with yesterday but we ain’t been shit for two years. Neither are we playing Shepshed any time soon 

Well the last time I remember us tearing a team apart completely was Villa away the December before the pandemic. I can’t remember any more after then. 

My Shepshed Dynamo point was another way of saying that new managers can’t ever really tell the wheat from the chaff in six pre season kickabouts against lowly opposition before the season opener. 

I think Rodgers did so well his first full season here because he had 2-3 months of managing them at the end of the previous season after Puel.

Furthermore than that, I don’t think hanging on to Rodgers will entice Youri and Wilf to stay here at all.

We need to act now (or after Ole has been sacked and United don’t come after Rodgers)

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

I asked myself yesterday for the first time whether his cycle has come to a natural end here.

And then I tried to think what he’s done at other clubs after a 3 year period - and you can’t because he hasn’t lasted that long elsewhere. He peaked at Liverpool when he nearly won the league, and then it unraveled. Maybe he peaked here when we won the FA Cup, and even before that some might argue it has been a steady decline.

What concerns me is that he seems really good at improving what he has when he comes in - but now this is his team… is he good at building his own team?

6 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I asked for answers, views, opinions and discussion on the general concensus towards the end of Puel's tenure - Were there comments of 'Careful what you wish for'? Was there a standout choice or was it as a case like now that no-one really had an idea of who'd come in? Was Rodgers seen as unobtainable? I genuinely can't remember because I was that disinterested - I'm yet to hear people views, opinions and discussion on it all, I think that speaks volumes that the situations are similar, that's a side point though

The one thing I do remember when Puel was sacked and Rodgers first came in was that it was mid season and it was seen as a 'long pre season' for Rodgers to see what he had to work with, see where our issues were, work out what he needed to improve and what he could add in the summer, we're getting towards that territory here.

1 minute ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Well the last time I remember us tearing a team apart completely was Villa away the December before the pandemic. I can’t remember any more after then. 

My Shepshed Dynamo point was another way of saying that new managers can’t ever really tell the wheat from the chaff in six pre season kickabouts before the season opener. 

I think Rodgers did so well his first full season here because he had 2-3 months of managing them at the end of the previous season after Puel.

19/20
Newcastle (a) 3-0

West Ham (h) 4-1

Villa (h) 4-0

20/21

3-0 West Brom (a) 

4-2 Burnley (h)

5-2 Man City (a)

4-1 Leeds (a)

3-0 Brighton (h)

2-1 Newcastle (a) 

2-0 Chelsea (h) 

2-1 Villa (a) 

5-0 Sheff U (h)

3-0 West Brom (h) 

3-1 Man U (h) in the cup 

That’s without me mentioning gritty and good defensive performances v Arsenal, Man U, Wolves last season. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

I asked for answers, views, opinions and discussion on the general concensus towards the end of Puel's tenure - Were there comments of 'Careful what you wish for'? Was there a standout choice or was it as a case like now that no-one really had an idea of who'd come in? Was Rodgers seen as unobtainable? I genuinely can't remember because I was that disinterested - I'm yet to hear people views, opinions and discussion on it all, I think that speaks volumes that the situations are similar, that's a side point though

The one thing I do remember when Puel was sacked and Rodgers first came in was that it was mid season and it was seen as a 'long pre season' for Rodgers to see what he had to work with, see where our issues were, work out what he needed to improve and what he could add in the summer, we're getting towards that territory here.

Not for me. 6th / 7th, a run in Europe and a semi final spot in the League Cup are all still very achievable if whoever in charge gets their act together 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Precisely 

Rodgers has been a good manager for us overall and gave me one of the best days of my life down at Wembley.

But I think it’s pretty clear he’s reached his ceiling here. We’re now going backwards, not forwards. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Whatever happened during a season, for a club like ours to finish 5th in the top division is always worth celebrating!

If we had a shocking first 15 games and then a great run home to finish 5th, would that be worth celebrating?
A season is played over 38 games, with everyone finishing where they deserve to, once we’ve all played each other twice.

Finishing 5th and above teams like Tottenham, Arsenal and Everton is always worth celebrating.

At the beginning of both of those seasons, if you had offered me 5th place, I'd have happily taken it.  Two consecutive 5th place finishes for a club like ours in the current Premier League era is exceptional.  That is not lost on me.  But in both seasons we had two hands on Champions League football and we threw it away both times.  It isn't like we went on a 10 game winning streak at the end of the season and just fell short at the end - that would be easier to stomach.  We bottled it and let others take it from us. 

Put it like this, the season that we won the league, would you have been happy to lead all the way and finish 2nd at the end?  It would still have been a great achievement, but a massive disappointment.

The club, the players, the team would all have been in a much better place if we had secured two consecutive seasons of Champions League football.  In years to come, despite the FA Cup, we'll look back and see it as a major opportunity missed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

19/20
Newcastle (a) 3-0

West Ham (h) 4-1

Villa (h) 4-0

20/21

3-0 West Brom (a) 

4-2 Burnley (h)

5-2 Man City (a)

4-1 Leeds (a)

3-0 Brighton (h)

2-1 Newcastle (a) 

2-0 Chelsea (h) 

2-1 Villa (a) 

5-0 Sheff U (h)

3-0 West Brom (h) 

3-1 Man U (h) in the cup 

That’s without me mentioning gritty and good defensive performances v Arsenal, Man U, Wolves last season. 

Fair enough. I don’t recall a lot of those games, most probably because I’d lost a lot of interest by then 😅

I wonder how many of those were truly dismantling the opposition though.

Either way, this free flowing football we DID play two years ago is long gone now.

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

Just a thought. Perhaps it's the backroom staff that need freshening up. I get that Brendon is ultimately responsible but a new defensive coach with some fresh ideas could be the answer. Someone who can bring some energy and enthusiasm back.

I look around at realistic choices for manager and I don't see anyone who can take us on and do a better job. I still think Brendon is a good fit for us as a club and long term stability will eventually prove rewarding.

9 minutes ago, Product of 84 said:

Just a thought. Perhaps it's the backroom staff that need freshening up. I get that Brendon is ultimately responsible but a new defensive coach with some fresh ideas could be the answer. Someone who can bring some energy and enthusiasm back.

I look around at realistic choices for manager and I don't see anyone who can take us on and do a better job. I still think Brendon is a good fit for us as a club and long term stability will eventually prove rewarding.

But he’ll be gone in the summer anyway won’t he realistically, so what’s the point in keeping him on with any other coach?

6 hours ago, hejammy said:

Wow now I've heard it all. And for those two twerps who have 'liked' the post, that's almost as bad as poster! Maybe you'll be happier supporting Man City or Chelsea perhaps? Wanting us to lose! :nigel:

...the wish to relinquish matches in this situation is not as uncommon as you think!!!

The fact is that it would speed up a process, and according to your previous reply, the players are already doing it.

It's such a tricky situation. There's a real negative spiral setting in at our club right now. And given the baffling way we've been setting up, even with our better options returning to the fold, the blame has to be placed at the manager's door. Setting up with no number 10 yesterday was criminal. We made Rudiger - a centre-back - look like peak Pirlo purely because of the space our setup allowed him.

The lack of intensity and intent to close down directly contributed to Kanté's goal - and there are two explanations for that. Either the players are being told to stand off to conserve energy, or they're just wilfully ignoring the coaching orders to do so. Either way, it speaks to something rotten in the setup. It was the worst of a whole heap of bad goals we've conceded recently, and sums up why something is up with us as a unit right now.

Offside goal taken out of the equation, we took 57 minutes to register a shot yesterday. We had four all game. At home. Appalling.

You have the top of the table team coming and you choose to play with that little energy? If you can't get yourself up for that sort of game, what hope do you have of being anything more than an also-ran? If not being dragged into a relegation battle, against teams with a lot more fight than anyone on that pitch is currently showing. If we end up in that dogfight, i'd be genuinely worried for us right now. It's been clear for a while now that we crumble under pressure, and that's largely because the way we play invites pressure and stupid mistakes.

In a way, there's a potential out for him if Man Utd. do come calling, but at the same time surely the last few weeks might be giving their board second thoughts? If the task at Old Trafford is winning back that dressing room full of under-performing primadonnas, watching him seemingly lose ours over the course of this autumn should be a massive red flag.

I'm not delusional - I have no idea who we'd get in to replace him. But - just as I felt in the early days of this season before a slight turn in fortunes (emphasis on slight) - I only see our situation unravelling further now. If Man Utd. make that offer, thank him for the last two seasons and move on.

Edited by OntarioFox

2 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I definitely feel something has happened behind the scenes, maybe this Manchester United rumour has been going on for a while, and the players know it. Hence performances have been half Arsed..

Take it with a pinch of salt but someone I know who is in the club mentioned that a couple of weeks ago the mood in camp was that Rodgers is staying but recently it has changed to him being off to Man U and Martinez being lined up as a potential replacement.

It does feel like something isn't quite right but bad results always tend to give that feeling. Spoke to a few friends who support Man U and they don't want him.

34 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the wish to relinquish matches in this situation is not as uncommon as you think!!!

The fact is that it would speed up a process, and according to your previous reply, the players are already doing it.

Your point is so weak. Players come and go, most of the players are not fans of the club, they are simply employees. If they down tools (and I wasn't suggesting that they did, that was another poster) that's upto them. A fan is for life. Never have I wanted my team to lose!