Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Southampton 2-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

4 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Agreed. So frustrating to see the same thing happening again and again.

It sounds stupid but set pieces are massive in the game. I can't stand conceding from them, it seems such an easy goal to throw away.

It would be pure football snobbery to underplay the value of set pieces. There have been managers that have made a reasonably successful career out of making their teams effective at set pieces at both ends of the pitch. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CloudFox said:

I'd recommend watching Maddison's post match interview if I were you. I was of the same opinion before, but Maddison seemed genuinely exasperated that it's a problem and spoke about them drilling and drilling on defending set pieces the day before the match. Was frustrated that despite them training on it, they were still suffering.

You can coach and coach and coach, but he and Rodgers were right - it's players switching off, not staying concentrated, and not being strong enough. Zonal marking does play a a factor, but lots of teams make it work, so it has to be down to the players.

...or the coaching they are receiving..!!!

5 hours ago, escape2victory said:

I’d say around this time next season if still around mid/lower table.

Ok this season so far has been poor, doesn’t look like we will have the consistency to really climb the league, and we may end up 11th-15th, not great, but it can happen.

After finishing 5th last 2 years and winning the FA cup, I think Rodgers deserves the summer to have a little rebuild, Tielemans probably leaving and might be one or two more he wants out, and to rebuild an exciting hungry team again. If after that, we are still bottom half and showing the same inconsistencies next season, then I think it’s reasonable to say his time is up.

Rodgers will be gone this summer regardless though 

What is painfully obvious to see, is that there’s no movement anywhere on the pitch. I don’t know what’s being done in training about it, but time and time again last night in the first half Kasper would get the ball and his only options were evans, soyuncu or a hopeful punt to the full backs. It’s good to see us trying to play out from the back but there needs to be some patterns to the play rather than hoping teams just let us do what we want. It’s much too passive, it’s not zipped about, no triangles or variation, It’s just pathetic to watch. 

Second half we were much better, kdh added some much needed urgency and we should have won with the chances we created but that’s a very poor Southampton team we’ve not managed to put to the sword

• Like 1

Vardys missed 2 absolute sitters in 2 seasons at their gaff, both from almost identical positions, although last season he tried the near post finish and the keeper saved with his leg and then last night he opened his body up for that sought of lofted finish he's done several times over the years but he leant just too much that enabled him to sky it over. Annoying.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, st albans fox said:

‘By the end of the game’ 

I wouldn’t expect any different after playing Sunday and against a high pressing side Wednesday with the same eleven 

I thought you meant he had said something about being exhausted before the game started !

Not me! @TK95