Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Southampton 2-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

Anyone finding this interview with BR quite refreshing?

I haven’t seen him speaking quite as honestly as this before.

The moment when they were talking about Maddison I found curious. Reiterating twice “at the moment” when asked whether Maddison is in form.

Didn’t seem to me like he fully believes JM can maintain it?

Take that really, we were ok second half, finally starting to create again.  Some players coming back to form, Barnes, Evans looking better, Maddison getting back to where he was hopefully not injured. Once we add youri again hopefully starting to not look completely abysmal and build on it. KDH looks way ahead of soumare for me but with youri fit not sure what to do. Nacho unlucky. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by DezFox

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Yeah it's a good sign we've been playing so poorly yet find ourselves 8th and not that far away from where we want to be. 

Not the best performances but still in contention. 

We are still well in this & if we look at the table even Arsenal in 5th are in negative goal difference and then all teams below them are, only the top 4 have been consistent enough although I’m sure WH will hit a rut at some point when injuries/suspension hit so 4/5 still up for grabs but I think everyone else can forget top 3

• Like 1

I just can't get down about this game. Really feel like we're turning a corner now. Maddison looked like he owned the pitch during certain passages of play. Made me remember just how great a player he is.

Pre-game I went on the Southampton forum to see if they were feeling up for the game or worried. 

The majority all thought we were average and fancied a win or a draw. 

They compared us to Leeds and Villa and said we were no better than those sides... I think they might be bang on. Often teams views from the outside are more accurate than those too close to the situation. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

The moment when they were talking about Maddison I found curious. Reiterating twice “at the moment” when asked whether Maddison is in form.

Well it’s a fair point isn’t it. He had purple patches. Did this time last year Too. 

1 minute ago, BKLFox said:

We are still well in this & if we look at the table even Arsenal in 5th are in negative goal difference and then all teams below them are, only the top 4 have been consistent enough although I’m sure WH will hit a rut at some point when injuries/suspension hit so 4/5 still up for grabs but I think everyone else can forget top 3

Agreed.

A few wins or an unbeaten run keeps us right up there. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

He did ok. Nothing more. Maddison made out he was outstanding. He wasn’t. I agree he had some decent touches and created chances but wasn’t strong enough tackling and was imo average. Had we spent 20m+ on him we’d all be calling what a waste of money. He gets more credit because he’s a player from the academy. 

Wouldn’t say the latter part. If anything he gets over scrutinised as per Barnes and Thomas.

He was so much better than the bloke we have £20m for because he actually did the basics of a CM. 

Personally I think by playing the role well, we look far more balanced. The defence can play a little higher and work out of the press easier. Gave Maddison more space to do what he’s good at

3 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

We have seen it the past 2 seasons with him that all it takes is for that hip to flare up again (which honestly it looked like it may have at one point tonight) and his form goes off a cliff

13 minutes ago, Special-K said:

How the puck was the second half performance excellent?, absolutely embarrassing performance all round. 

What? Scored a goal, didn't concede and had a few more chances.... How does the word embarrassing define that!? Behave lad! 

Edited by hejammy

1 minute ago, moore_94 said:

We have seen it the past 2 seasons with him that all it takes is for that hip to flare up again (which honestly it looked like it may have at one point tonight) and his form goes off a cliff

I do wonder if they are hoping he does the business this season and take anything north of £50m in the summer? Would be a hugely brave move to make as on his day he is phenomenal, which he has been this last 6 days. Makes you wince that people abuse him so much, his movement and skill for his goal was obscene.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Pre-game I went on the Southampton forum to see if they were feeling up for the game or worried. 

The majority all thought we were average and fancied a win or a draw. 

They compared us to Leeds and Villa and said we were no better than those sides... I think they might be bang on. Often teams views from the outside are more accurate than those to close to the situation. 

In current form we’d agree but if they saying that as a general overall comment then disagree, when we have everybody fit and firing we are a team that will give those top 3 a bloody nose as proved over the past 2 seasons consistently which is far and away above the likes of Leeds, Villa and Southampton 

• Like 1