Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Southampton 2-2 LCFC - Post Match Thread

Guest Danny Clender
4 hours ago, Bptiger said:

And ndidi he really has lost his way his timing has gone to pot , he looks like someone who knows he maybe leaving the club . I think Rodgers time in charge maybe has run it’s course 

Two interesting points in contrast, from these points alone I'd conclude, I wonder if Rodgers knows that enough of his core players are looking elsewhere and he's already planning the re-build? I don't think his time has run its course as much as many of the players might have. 

Guest Danny Clender

It was the classic 50/50 performance we've seen much of this season. 

Maddison being back is fantastic though, he's really enjoying his football again. 

There's still hope in Soumare, there just is, he's unfortunately bought into our 50/50 style too well. 

A game that summed up our season. Abject defensively, a bit about us going forward, ultimately achieves nothing in a season I'm expecting little from at all.

You only have to look at the average ratings of the match polls compared to previous two seasons to see how significant a drop off it is. We're every inch Puel's Leicester level with a comfortably better squad.

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

KDH changed the game last night, right from the start of the second half. We clearly had the upper hand and were all over Saints.

What nullified us was making another sub Lookman/Perez too soon 

I must admit I thought Lookman was poor last night  and was happy to see him dragged off, although I would have brought Albrighton on, because after Lookman came off, and Perez came on and played more infield, it left Walker-Peters all the space out wide that he wanted, and he started to give is a few problems down that side. That for me was when they started to get a foot hold in the game again 

3 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

I must admit I thought Lookman was poor last night  and was happy to see him dragged off, although I would have brought Albrighton on, because after Lookman came off, and Perez came on and played more infield, it left Walker-Peters all the space out wide that he wanted, and he started to give is a few problems down that side. That for me was when they started to get a foot hold in the game again 

Albrighton will be starting on Sunday I think 

Not that that doesn’t mean he couldn’t have featured  last night 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Two interesting points in contrast, from these points alone I'd conclude, I wonder if Rodgers knows that enough of his core players are looking elsewhere and he's already planning the re-build? I don't think his time has run its course as much as many of the players might have. 

It is an interesting one. If players want to leave to try and better their careers in terms of money and silverware that's entirely understandable. However, if they want a move because of the manager that's different. If there were a number looking to move on because of the manager, than I suggest it's got to be worth financially considering changing the manager and not the squad. 

I feel a bit odd.

We’ve had two defeats in so many games, but we’ve looked largely average to poo with the odd good half/period in a game. 

What is evident is we are consistently letting our worst traits be a theme of most games. No real press, no aggression, no movement off the ball, defensively a shambles and generally soft. 

Yet, somehow we’re still only a few points off the top 4…. This is the period the table will separate, and ideally if we can come out of this without too many defeats we will be laughing, but there just doesn’t seem to be any evidence that we’re turning this so called corner. 

There are too many consistent failings in our performances that are not going away, and you would have liked to have thought that by now we would have sorted some of the main issues.

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

What nullified us was making another sub Lookman/Perez too soon after

Think it was the Barnes sub that finished us off, meant Maddison ended up on the left and two number 9s who simply shouldn’t be played together.   

• Like 1

Guest Danny Clender
3 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

However, if they want a move because of the manager that's different. If there were a number looking to move on because of the manager, than I suggest it's got to be worth financially considering changing the manager and not the squad. 

We can make up any specualtion we choose to, this however, is speculation I highly doubt.  

I'd confidently predict that most of our team are simply following the standard trajectory of all football players. 

11 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

We can make up any specualtion we choose to, this however, is speculation I highly doubt.  

I'd confidently predict that most of our team are simply following the standard trajectory of all football players. 

I like to think you're right and if so, it's perfectly understandable for players to strive to be the best they can and win things (the extra money comes in handy too). I personally wouldn't resent anyone leaving for those reasons. 

I've given Maddison some stick on here, always thought of him as talented but questioned his mentality. What a game changer he is when he's on it as he has been recently. Now I just want to see him maintain these standards for a good run of games. 

Thought KDH helped change the game, as soon as you have someone in the middle of the park that wants to get the team up the field it makes a massive difference. The midfield for most of the season has summed us up for me, very passive, very safe to the point which we cause our own errors, he was a breath of fresh air in the second 45.

Also playing Soumare and Ndidi together has been a failed experiment, both have played far better when the other one hasn't been in the squad. What is concerning though is that even their better performances of the season are not up to standard. 

Be interesting to see how Rodgers approaches Sunday, he surely can't stick to the core that he's reluctantly relied upon for the majority of the league so far with the run of games we are in.

• Like 2

So Somebody has an idea,makes it to "right of opinion"   & then becomes fact....on FT...

The Team were poor and has been for a while..only individuals having a decent period...but Not the team...This Or the only fact I see...

Anything else..like the Rodgers going to Manutd weeks we have every Jack One of our players wanting a move!!..its pure speculation...I

& Boring....After most decide to stay...there will be the Next 'hot Off the press ' FT....only an opinion...story..

Edited by fuchsntf

It was the set up that many wanted last night. There was plenty of attacking intent and much less negative passing. However our defensive play is always going to give opportunity to the opposition. I think Rodgers knows that winning 1-0 is unlikely so we have to outscore. At least it is entertaining.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StanSP said:

After the first half, Happy with a point. 

Maddison in form but hope he's not too badly injured. 

Second half much improved. Looked much better with KDH on the pitch over Soumare. 

A point gained. 

Agreed. Woeful first half. Lookman totally ineffective, Ndidi right off the pace. Why does it take half a game before we get going?

kudos to Maddison last night, I have been guilty of slating him but just lately he has started to be the player he once was great display from him.  We certainly looked a lot better when KDH and Perez came on I hope they both start on Sunday against Villa.

Cant see what Lookman offers at all.  As for Barnes he has to be one of the most frustrating players ever.  Fails to track back and always leaves the fullback exposed invariably Thomas.  He also should have buried the chance he had why  he didnt take it closer before he shot I will never know.  Vardy also missed a glorious opportunity one he normally buries.

Why we always try and slow it down to play out from the back I just dont know.  Simple answer is we cant do it and we are crap at it so its basically simple

stop BLOODY doing it.

The more I think about it the more I can’t fathom the level of utter dross that got served up in the first half last night. It really was inexcusable.

We’ve seen some shit this season, but that for me was the pinnacle.

Doesn’t seem to be much said about Soyuncu’s levels at the moment. We’ve blamed Evans not being there for his woes, but now he doesn’t even have that excuse. He looked so gormless when the second goal went in…