Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Villa (A) Sunday 5th Dec @ 4.30 - pre match

10 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

The past results don't matter but the way we have been playing does. Villa look lively, with intent, we look lacklustre and with no control in the game (at least not for large periods).

Make your mind up. You were the one the said we didn't beat palace or Brighton. 

Not sure having the following possession  36% (Man C), 36% (Palace), 37% Brighton showing intent, or controlling a game.

They have shut up shop in all three games, tried to hit on the break, and managed to take their chances.  

I think it will be a case of who has their shooting boot on and takes their opportunities. 

I just don't think the fact Villa won late in those games means Gerrard is not improving them. They're not a bad team and with the right management can be comfortably mid table/pushing the Top 7.

Same could be said about us.

I hope we turn up and make it a game but I feel it will be more of the same (slow start, go behind, change the team, hope it works).

It will be interesting if we turn up, personally; for me, there have been more positives than negatives in our last 3 games. 

• Like 4

To make it 2 for 2 on my December predictions I'm going for loss. Villa have better players than the Watford and Southampton teams we just played. Apparently teams will keep giving us clear chances so i'm gonna go for a scoring loss, 3-1 Villa. Konsa, McGinn and Watkins. Big Dan Amartey to score ours!

9 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Not sure having the following possession  36% (Man C), 36% (Palace), 37% Brighton showing intent, or controlling a game.

They have shut up shop in all three games, tried to hit on the break, and managed to take their chances.  

I think it will be a case of who has their shooting boot on and takes their opportunities. 

It will be interesting if we turn up, personally; for me, there have been more positives than negatives in our last 3 games. 

As opposed to what? Having lots of possession and deluding themselves into thinking they control games like people do with us?

We might control possession but we most certainly don’t control games.

Possession is by the by it’s what you do with it and we do very little.

We should know more than most that you don’t need high possession stats to control games.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

As opposed to what? Having lots of possession and deluding themselves into thinking they control games like people do with us?

We might control possession but we most certainly don’t control games.

Possession is by the by it’s what you do with it and we do very little.

We should know more than most that you don’t need high possession stats to control games.

I feel like for the majority of the game yesterday we were in control. Switched off twice defensively and conceded sloppy goals but other than that they did not trouble us and we could have scored 5 quite easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I was just countering the fact you said Gerrard and Villa are nothing special and you mentioned beating those two teams with a bit of luck. Nothing against our results in isolation.

The last 3 games have been better but there have still been plenty of negatives which sets alarm bells ringing for me. If we were playing well but dropping points, I wouldn't mind so much. It's always great to get a win and once a game is over I move on, however, the way we perform is what I use to try and predict the trajectory we are on. Let's hope we start playing better for longer in matches until we put in a complete 90 min performance.

I would much rather we start shaky and get better as we reach the business end of the season, the opposite to the last 2 seasons. December is huge due to the amount of important games and playing every 3/4 days.

15 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Kdh to start this. Apparently he’s the second coming. I must of missed this in the Southampton game……

He may not be the second coming but I, for one, was so pleased to see him on , playing like a premier league footballer, in the second half.

There is no doubt in my mind that between them, Ndidi and Soumare, had they stayed on together, would have contrived to give Southampton a very handsome win.

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Think villa will win this. Lots of belief under gerrard. This is more important than Napoli for me, league form is a real concern and need a rocket up their behinds asap 

There will be lots more league games coming up, Napoli could be our last game in Europe for a goof while the way things are going...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I was just countering the fact you said Gerrard and Villa are nothing special and you mentioned beating those two teams with a bit of luck. Nothing against our results in isolation.

I never mentioned luck. My point was people are overestimating how good Villa are due to the SG hype. 

My take is outside of the top 3 and the bottom 3. The league is much of a muchness, a lot of average teams. 

ams. 

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

The last 3 games have been better but there have still been plenty of negatives which sets alarm bells ringing for me. If we were playing well but dropping points, I wouldn't mind so much. It's always great to get a win and once a game is over I move on, however, the way we perform is what I use to try and predict the trajectory we are on. Let's hope we start playing better for longer in matches until we put in a complete 90 min performance.

I would much rather we start shaky and get better as we reach the business end of the season, the opposite to the last 2 seasons. December is huge due to the amount of important games and playing every 3/4 days.

I would say we were pretty rancid up to the October international break. Not only were we playing poorly and struggling to create chances and score but also leaking goals. I can't remember a game in the first seven where we played well for a half, let alone a game. 

The seven games (PL) before the break, W2, D2 L3: F9 A12 :

With a win percentage of 28.6%, scoring 1.28 goals per game and conceding 1.71 per game.

Since the break, we have looked better, not good enough but better than we did. We are creating more chances and scoring more. But we are still hamstrung by too many errors defensively. 

Since the break seven games (PL), W3  D2, L2: F A:

With a win percentage of 42.9%, scoring  1.85 goals per game and conceding 1.85 per game.

Statistically, we are doing better and looking a little better on the eye.

I can see the green shoot of recovery, players finding form and coming back from injury. If we can get our defence functioning better, we will continue to improve.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

4-4

Genuinely wouldn't surprise me, we could concede any amount and apparently we could score any amount. On paper we appear to be an entertaining team, but most of these high scoring games have been the result of awful defending and set pieces (sometimes both at the same time)

Think villa will win this. Lots of belief under gerrard. This is more important than Napoli for me, league form is a real concern and need a rocket up their behinds asap 

are you having a laugh mate

45 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

There will be lots more league games coming up, Napoli could be our last game in Europe for a goof while the way things are going...

15 minutes ago, NasPb said:

are you having a laugh mate

Yeh true, lots more league games, but top 6 is there for the taking this season. We are definitely in Europe in 2022 whatever happens. And in terms of prestige, the Europa League is about as big a joke as the conference league to me. Napoli (without Osihmen), Spartak and Legia are all poor. I'm confident results will go our way next Thursday without having to sacrifice an important league match

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

If we were playing well but dropping points, I wouldn't mind so much.

Is it possible you're only seeing the negatives? In the last three games we've scored 9 goals. We're unbalanced between defence and attack. If I was to just focus on defense then yes it's all bad, if it was on attack it's pretty good. 

People keep saying our injuries are just like any other injured team. EXCEPT for us they're all in one area. Coincidentally that's also the area we're having the most problems. I don't know, maybe it's related. 

6 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

Is it possible you're only seeing the negatives? In the last three games we've scored 9 goals. We're unbalanced between defence and attack. If I was to just focus on defense then yes it's all bad, if it was on attack it's pretty good. 

People keep saying our injuries are just like any other injured team. EXCEPT for us they're all in one area. Coincidentally that's also the area we're having the most problems. I don't know, maybe it's related. 

Well it was Evans at first, now Evans has been back for a while but still the same. We are starting to get consistency at the back now with what is on paper a fairly good back 4 would you not agree? The problem is our midfield, we are overrun too often and sloppy.

I have seen some positives no doubt bu the negatives are holding us back from being better and turning an average team into a Top 6 contender. Vardy (and Daka and Iheanacho) have been good from a strikeforce. Barnes is getting better and Lookman I am still expecting more from in the creativity department. Tielemans is a miss in midfield but he has seen better seasons, still valuable mind. Maddison is now hitting form and with that our goalscoring goes up. We need this to consistently get better and then we need that backline to tighten up. We're not far off but right now, we are still an easy team to play against.

There is hope that Fofana can help that backline and that if Justin and Ricardo can finally get fit, we might have some alternative formations where rotation can be more frequent and effective.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I would say we were pretty rancid up to the October international break. Not only were we playing poorly and struggling to create chances and score but also leaking goals. I can't remember a game in the first seven where we played well for a half, let alone a game. 

Agreed. Not many games I thought we did well in although the Burnley game I thought we did well, just couldn't break them down enough and of course conceded silly goals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Not strictly true. We are guaranteed to have some form of European football in the New Year. 

EL / EL playoffs or Conference League Playoffs 

Yeh true, lots more league games, but top 6 is there for the taking this season. We are definitely in Europe in 2022 whatever happens. And in terms of prestige, the Europa League is about as big a joke as the conference league to me. Napoli (without Osihmen), Spartak and Legia are all poor. I'm confident results will go our way next Thursday without having to sacrifice an important league match

So throw away Europa League so we can qualify for the Europa League next year. 

Spurs in blue shirts.

• Like 3

So you want to qualify for Europe next year just to do the same thing all over again? Lol