Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RoanClawson

Clappers

This wasteful argument only stands up on environmental grounds, and even then they are probably recycled.

It wasn’t wasteful when it helped us stay in the league. Don’t worry I’m not saying we wouldn’t have won the Premier League without clappers… :ph34r:

Like everything in life, some people will like them and some people won’t. Does it really matter?

9 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

This wasteful argument only stands up on environmental grounds, and even then they are probably recycled.

It wasn’t wasteful when it helped us stay in the league. Don’t worry I’m not saying we wouldn’t have won the Premier League without clappers… :ph34r:

Like everything in life, some people will like them and some people won’t. Does it really matter?

I've seen this said multiple times in the thread but don't get it. We had them all season so surely they were a problem when we were bottom of the league also?

• Like 2

Just now, Fox92 said:

I've seen this said multiple times in the thread but don't get it. We had them all season so surely they were a problem when we were bottom of the league also?

People were questioning how environmental they were even back then. Particularly around when they made them even bigger and coated them in a sort of laminated material.

• Like 1

The whole matchday experience is becoming so sanitised now.

It seems that "edge" we always seemed to have has been lost in favour of a family friendly day out. 

I was at Southampton on Wednesday night and the difference in the supporter dynamic was as clear as night and day and it's the same at the KP.

The vocal support from the Southampton fans came from a large section of young lads, late teens to mid twenties. No clappers, no goal music, no attempts at encouragement, just loud songs and chants.

I looked around, as I usually do at the KP and all I could/can see were/are mainly an older generation who do nothing but MOAN MOAN and MOAN.:mad:  I stood there with my 12 year old (He sings, gestures and cheers loudly) and in the surrounding 4-5 seats in front, both sides and behind us, the youngest person must have been in his or her 60's. They added NOTHING to a vocal positive match day experience, just constantly getting on the players backs no matter what. 

I would kill to have the vocal support such as the Chelsea fans brought to the KP but we have simply lost it to sanitised, watered down measures taken by the club to appeal to all those types who wouldn't have a clue about, or are just not interested  in, making the KP a fortress once again.

My feelings are the clubs direction and actions are having a detrimental effect on what football days on the terraces are/were all about.

Edited by ElusiveEd
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Everywhere that has written about the use of them during the great escape and title win begs to differ

They were used previously in other seasons but rarely, West Ham was the first game they were brought back and then stayed ever since

"Having previously been used intermittently in recent seasons, the clappers were brought back for Leicester's home match against West Ham United on April 4 – and Andy King scored a late winner"

They are also made out of recycled materials

"Made from recycled materials and measuring 340mm by 490mm, the clap-banners (named clappers for short) bear the images of Leicester heroes and are made for each home game by Clap-Banners Ltd, of London.

They cost Leicester £12,000 each time, meaning a total spend of £228,000 for the Premier League campaign – a snip considering their apparent impact."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3378939/Are-cardboard-clappers-secret-Leicester-s-success-Club-picked-1-35-points-game-introducing-them.html

Also reiterated by Jonathan Northcroft who wrote the "Fearless" book

image.png.818903548445f36c28610d7fc43f500d.png

1 hour ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Yes it does matter, if we can't improve our atmosphere then we as fans ain't doing our part in helping the team win. Can't be passive towards everything in life mate 

58 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Not sure if they still use the same company, but great escape and title winning season they were made by a company based in London, all from recycled materials

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3378939/Are-cardboard-clappers-secret-Leicester-s-success-Club-picked-1-35-points-game-introducing-them.html

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ElusiveEd said:

The whole matchday experience is becoming so sanitised now.

It seems that "edge" we always seemed to have has been lost in favour of a family friendly day out. 

I was at Southampton on Wednesday night and the difference in the supporter dynamic was as clear as night and day and it's the same at the KP.

The vocal support from the Southampton fans came from a large section of young lads, late teens to mid twenties. No clappers, no goal music, no attempts at encouragement, just loud songs and chants.

I looked around, as I usually do at the KP and all I could/can see were/are mainly an older generation who do nothing but MOAN MOAN and MOAN.:mad:  I stood there with my 12 year old (He sings, gestures and cheers loudly) and in the surrounding 4-5 seats in front, both sides and behind us, the youngest person must have been in his or her 60's. They added NOTHING to a vocal positive match day experience, just constantly getting on the players backs no matter what. 

I would kill to have the vocal support such as the Chelsea fans brought to the KP but we have simply lost it to sanitised, watered down measures taken by the club to appeal to all those types who wouldn't have a clue about, or are just not interested  in, making the KP a fortress once again.

My feelings are the clubs direction and actions are having a detrimental effect on what football days on the terraces are/were all about.

Agree with your first points before you descended into blatant ageism.

Most of the "older" fans I know & go football with are vocal & passionate in their support & only criticise occasionally.

Easyjet, Luton to Zurich, £50 one way, before you get too old yourself!

17 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Everywhere that has written about the use of them during the great escape and title win begs to differ

They were used previously in other seasons but rarely, West Ham was the first game they were brought back and then stayed ever since

"Having previously been used intermittently in recent seasons, the clappers were brought back for Leicester's home match against West Ham United on April 4 – and Andy King scored a late winner"

They are also made out of recycled materials

"Made from recycled materials and measuring 340mm by 490mm, the clap-banners (named clappers for short) bear the images of Leicester heroes and are made for each home game by Clap-Banners Ltd, of London.

They cost Leicester £12,000 each time, meaning a total spend of £228,000 for the Premier League campaign – a snip considering their apparent impact."

Also reiterated by Jonathan Northcroft who wrote the "Fearless" book

image.png.818903548445f36c28610d7fc43f500d.png

I thought we've had them since Watford in the play offs but obviously not. Weird.

25 minutes ago, ElusiveEd said:

....what is stopping supporters being vocal in the stands!!!

I am sure the Chelsea supporters do not bring clappers or other paraphernalia in order to be vocal. Are you looking for the club to have an age policy stopping anyone from 30 years old being allowed in. We are all entitled (there is that word again) to support our team in anyway we choose (obviously within reason) and should not have to be admonished for being silent whilst taking in the game.

What would help would be more sustainable chants and songs, we are not a club that brings that to the game and copying other clubs chants just seem wrong. Judging by the efforts of most posters on here with their attempts at chants for individual players, you can understand why we we cannot sustain a chant for more than 20 seconds.

If anything Union FS needs to be getting heavily involved in this (devising chants) in addition to Tifos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Out of interest, why? 

A bit like the wife, I'm used to them now 😂. No, there's no particular singing where I am, though the bloke next to me with blue tinted terets is good fun. There's quite a bit of encouragement, cheering and clapping but I find the clackers, when a few use them together, a bit noisier and I suppose I just still like a bit of noise. They're easier than cold hands to get a bit of a rhythm going too. I can understand why some people don't like them though, my mate finds them only slightly less annoying than those booboozayla's in South Africa!

I don't like the goal music though because it spoils the spontaneity and when the music stops, the fans stop and though older, I'm still a bit childish and like the celebrations to go on a bit longer and finish when people want to finish and I run out of breath. 

I'd still like to sing about Soyuncu's cock though because I still laugh every time at it but I'd look a bit daft on my own. Told you I was childish 🤣 

Edited by volpeazzurro