Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RoanClawson

Clappers

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Refreshing to read so many against them now. If the environmental route is the way to get rid, then so be it. 

Maybe we can claim noise pollution against the goal music.

I’m in the packaging industry,I’m not a fan of clappers at all,but those would have been made from recycled material,I won’t bore you with facts,even  virgin cardboard doesn’t involve completely cutting a tree down.Saying that , the energy needed to recycle paper is horrendous.

Bore fest over.

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....what is stopping supporters being vocal in the stands!!!

I am sure the Chelsea supporters do not bring clappers or other paraphernalia in order to be vocal. Are you looking for the club to have an age policy stopping anyone from 30 years old being allowed in. We are all entitled (there is that word again) to support our team in anyway we choose (obviously within reason) and should not have to be admonished for being silent whilst taking in the game.

What would help would be more sustainable chants and songs, we are not a club that brings that to the game and copying other clubs chants just seem wrong. Judging by the efforts of most posters on here with their attempts at chants for individual players, you can understand why we we cannot sustain a chant for more than 20 seconds.

If anything Union FS needs to be getting heavily involved in this (devising chants) in addition to Tifos.

“Being silent whilst taking in the game” surely you’d be better suited to sitting at home and watching on the sofa if you like to be silent and “take in the game”

4 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

To be fair. Clappers are probably locally produced, and can be recycled (card).

Is that the case though? I might be wrong here (been a while since I've smashed one against my own face in frustration) but from memory they are cardboard strengthened and laminated with a thin plastic layer on either side.

In which case they wouldn't be recyclable. 

Edited by RoboFox

1 hour ago, boots60 said:

Agree with your first points before you descended into blatant ageism.

Most of the "older" fans I know & go football with are vocal & passionate in their support & only criticise occasionally.

Easyjet, Luton to Zurich, £50 one way, before you get too old yourself!

Absolutely no ageism from me, Jeez, I'm close to getting there myself. :cry:

Just pointing out the dynamics of who and where the most vocal support seems to emanate from and the difference in the profile of club supporters from club to club. 

Can't work out what your last sentence has to do with all this?

Get rid of the clappers!

I stood up in the first minute of the Legia game when we had a chance in their box. As I sat down I got slapped on the back by one. I glanced around what appeared to be a couple of old codgers* behind me were gesticulating, apparently because I stood up!

I couldn't help glancing around when we did score and they were still sitting down. Even with the deafening goal music. They must've heard it!

*I'm over 50, just, and there's plenty older than me who aren't codgers. But no excuse for this miserable so and so to hit me with a clapper for briefly getting to my feet!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

They certainly make us look a bit Mickey Mouse but people saying our atmosphere will improve if we bin them off clearly forget what it was like the seasons before they were brought in!

We used to have thread after thread about how horrendous and silent our atmosphere was

Novel idea, supporters could use their hands! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blueharmie said:

Its disturbing when a grown man or woman uses these things. 

The whole clapper things is odd unless you are under 10 years of age.

Get rid. 

Yeah, I get that the kids would like them but loads of adults use them which is very odd.

It does look like a conditioning at times- used for the countdown to kick-off montage, used for anticipating a free-kick. Our fanbase looks so manufactured.

And why is a new one needed for every game? Should've been a new one each season at the most. Pathetic waste.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I don't think the atmosphere is worse because we have clackers but it's because the football hasn't been exciting enough.

Look at the Man Utd game where we scored some goals the atmosphere was great.

in 2019 2020 our atmosphere was just as bad... imagine if we had had better support. probably could have made top 4

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes and I do as well but the clappers help my slightly arthritic hands out in the winter and keeps the noise going longer 🤣

Clappers for old knackers! 😁

Bang on mate. "Clappers for old knackers"!!!   

I have duponts contracture* (witch hands basically)  

The clappers are great for me to use in lieu of having clappable hands. I also like the memento from the game as I only get to half a dozen a season. I do get a program though so not 100% necessaryfor that but, we could optionally give them out with programs perhaps, then people will only use what they need.

• Like 1

To those arguing that that the ground would be quieter if we didn’t have them, even if that was the case (which it wouldn’t be), there very existence is wrong and makes our support worse by default. It’s not football. It’s gimmick driven, American sports toss. In the same ball park as those T-shirt cannons. I’m bewildered at the idea of anybody even remotely liking them. 

1 hour ago, TK95 said:

Guarantee if the club dropped it for 5 games you'd see the atmosphere improve 

Guaranteed based on what?!?!

Clappers don't stop people singing. They don't even stop people clapping. The only thing they do is give people who are a bit reserved the ability to bang something and make some noise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Plastik Man said:

Get rid of the clappers!

I stood up in the first minute of the Legia game when we had a chance in their box. As I sat down I got slapped on the back by one. I glanced around what appeared to be a couple of old codgers* behind me were gesticulating, apparently because I stood up!

I couldn't help glancing around when we did score and they were still sitting down. Even with the deafening goal music. They must've heard it!

*I'm over 50, just, and there's plenty older than me who aren't codgers. But no excuse for this miserable so and so to hit me with a clapper for briefly getting to my feet!

....I would suppose according to the rules of the stadium, you were doing something than contravenes their rules!!!

No one has a right to hit anyone but you can understand someone who would choose to chastise an individual as it is impairing their ability to view the game (they have, like you paid their entrance fee).

All our supporters are drawn from society, and within society there are different characters, it is good to take people as you find them, or until they give you reason to change your initial opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1