Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
demon_dog

FA Cup draw.

10 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

We don't. 

Just Leicester fans thinking these draws are always against them. 

Since 14-15 (to now) we've been in 22 draws and got a fellow PL team on 10 occasions. So OP was probably right in saying "always seem" to get them.

In fact in our first two seasons back in the PL we only got other PL teams (Newcastle, Spurs, Villa across two seasons).

It's even worse from an away day point of view. I think we've only had 6 away games against lower opposition in the same time (Derby, Millwall, Fleetwood, Posh, Newport, Brentford). We also got Stoke (and Brentford again) of course last season.

I just hope we put out a full strength* side for this match (and the matches against Napoli and Liverpool) as the Premier league is now no longer a consideration. Shame, but we've blown it already (finishing high up, I mean).

*full strength - not really a suitable term, as we are patently the physically weakest team in the country - at times embarrasingly pathetic.

23 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Also Charlton away which was unreal. Can't even remember where they were in the league at the time, if Curbishley was there or not, but how good when Dublin popped up with a list minute winner!

I think that was the season before under Levein, 2004-05....when we did reasonably well in the FA Cup under his tenure, even reaching the quarter finals away at Blackburn of course. It was just a shame about the dross in the Championship week in, week out under him! Obviously we weren't as affluent back then as we are now by comparison which was another factor!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Winchesterfox said:

If we played a PL team in fewer than half of the matches, how does that make the OP right to say we always seem to get them?

I was just referring to away games. We've played Birmingham, Sheffield United, Wigan etc all at home.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, SuperMike said:

I just hope we put out a full strength* side for this match (and the matches against Napoli and Liverpool) as the Premier league is now no longer a consideration. Shame, but we've blown it already (finishing high up, I mean).

*full strength - not really a suitable term, as we are patently the physically weakest team in the country - at times embarrasingly pathetic.

I think the Premiership is of far more relevance than the 2 domestic cups. 40 points would be handy for a start. The game against Watford is a great opportunity to give anyone returning from injury some minutes and fringe players to get up to speed. The FA Cup monkey is off our back now, in comparison, it's no big deal anymore sadly. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

They should've scrapped FA Cup replays years ago.      Replays were great back in the day when the FA Cup was the number one competition.  But the world's moved on since then.  

The replays were often some of the most memorable games of the FA Cup. Ive always felt it was sad when they limited ties to one replay, and then recently had no replays in the later rounds. Now we have no replays from the third round, and the chances are that now the genie is out the bottle, it will stay that way from now on, which is another bit of the heritage of the FA Cup gone. I know it's a sign of modern football, but as an oldie, who was brought up believing the FA Cup was the most prestigious competition we could win, it's all a bit sad. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

They should've scrapped FA Cup replays years ago.      Replays were great back in the day when the FA Cup was the number one competition.  But the world's moved on since then.  

No they shouldn't. Relays are great and a fair way of giving the opposition a chance to play at home.

18 hours ago, smudger63 said:

The replays were often some of the most memorable games of the FA Cup. Ive always felt it was sad when they limited ties to one replay, and then recently had no replays in the later rounds. Now we have no replays from the third round, and the chances are that now the genie is out the bottle, it will stay that way from now on, which is another bit of the heritage of the FA Cup gone. I know it's a sign of modern football, but as an oldie, who was brought up believing the FA Cup was the most prestigious competition we could win, it's all a bit sad. 

I agree with you.   It is all a bit sad, but it's just the way modern football is.   And it isn't going to change.

The rise of the Premier League since 1992, has marginalised the cup competitions.   At times, the managers can barely raise any enthusiasm for playing them, and most teams tend to play some sort of "weakened side", until it gets to the latter rounds. 

The 2nd Div clubs are totally obsessed with getting into the Premier League, and rarely put anything like a full strength team out in the cups.   2nd Div clubs won the FA Cup in 1973, 1976 and 1980.   They hardly ever even get to a semi final these days.   Let alone, win it.

And don't forget, these clubs have fairly busy schedules anyway with 46 league games.  (8 more than premier League teams).

Uefa are constantly expanding their competitions to try and get more games played.   And when there is a free period, the big clubs want to jet around the world playing friendly matches.

And then there are internatiomnal breaks every month or two, which take out another load of match slots.   And this affects all clubs in the top two divisions.

The fact is ... and I don't like it ... but there is barely enough room in the schedule for the basic cup fixtures, let alone replays.    And I think most people are fine with the idea of a result after every cup tie.  

Just one further point.  I appreciate there were some great replays in the 1960's and 70's, but since than the best games have nearly always been the initial match:
 1974 QPR (away) W 2-0
 1979 Norwich C (home) W 3-0
 1982 Shrewsbury T (home) W 5-2
 1992 C Palace (home) W 1-0
 2005 Charlton A (away) W 2-1
 2006 Tottenham H (home) W 3-2
 2012 Norwich C (away) W 2-1