Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

LCFC vs Villa (A) Post Match Thread 2 - 1

1 minute ago, Ricey said:

It’s the basics that we are getting wrong and we are getting them wildly wrong.

Our attacking players must be fuming because in the first half we pressed well and looked a real threat, but then the defence craps its pants again and it all comes tumbling down.

Under Rodgers we’ve always looked weak, lacked aggression, lacked mental resilience and struggled to defend set pieces. They aren’t new problems, but this season they are noticeably worse.

I just can’t see him resolving them. If he could, why hasn’t he by now? We may limp on a bit longer but ultimately it feels like those issues will get him eventually.

Only ones worth keeping are Madders, Youri and Fofana. Not bothered about anyone else (we know Vardy will stay when he's on his millionth can of red bull. 

For me a big unknown as that we simply don’t know how BR does after a 3 year period, and we’re into that now. At Liverpool he improved what he inherited - like he did here - and added a couple of players and they nearly won the league. And then when he’d had time to properly build HIS team, it fell apart… if I recall weren’t his defensive signings heavily criticized? Is that what is happening here? Can we hide behind the excuses - injuries, fatigue, too many games, congested season etc? Or is he a great guy to improve a squad, but not completely overhaul / refresh it?

He wasn’t at Swansea long enough, and Celtic doesn’t count as it was a one team league during his time there.

1 minute ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

For me a big unknown as that we simply don’t know how BR does after a 3 year period, and we’re into that now. At Liverpool he improved what he inherited - like he did here - and added a couple of players and they nearly won the league. And then when he’d had time to properly build HIS team, it fell apart… if I recall weren’t his defensive signings heavily criticized? Is that what is happening here? Can we hide behind the excuses - injuries, fatigue, too many games, congested season etc? Or is he a great guy to improve a squad, but not completely overhaul / refresh it?

He wasn’t at Swansea long enough, and Celtic doesn’t count as it was a one team league during his time there.

Do we sack everyone if they’ve  only been here3 years because only wenger and Ferguson have done it!? Sounds crazy to me

• Like 1

How do we fix the defence? Do we honestly think JJ and Fofana will magically fix it? We have too many players out of form:

Cags

Castagne

Ndidi

Kaspar

That's most of our defensive players. Yes, binning off zonal marking might work, but is that enough? Our mentality is weak when we concede too - the second half was nothing like the first and we just couldn't out Villa under pressure.

This is so tiresome. We really need a clean sheet or two to steady the nerves.

6 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

I love kasper he’s been brilliant for us but this should be his last season, and he shouldn’t be captain give it to Evans or Youri if he signs a new deal. Theses issues have come about since Morgan has gone. We need a leader higher up the pitch and to organise at corners. Kasper has changed so much since he’s had it all he does is moan and it looks to be effecting him. Big issue is Rodgers loves him and he’ll never drop him which will end up costing him his job. 

Agree with most of this

9 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

I love kasper he’s been brilliant for us but this should be his last season, and he shouldn’t be captain give it to Evans or Youri if he signs a new deal. Theses issues have come about since Morgan has gone. We need a leader higher up the pitch and to organise at corners. Kasper has changed so much since he’s had it all he does is moan and it looks to be effecting him. Big issue is Rodgers loves him and he’ll never drop him which will end up costing him his job. 

But he barely played last season. Granted he was there in the background, but not sure it’s a good explanation for on field mistakes and lack of leadership.

1 minute ago, dannythefox said:

I feel that diplomatically he is undropable, given everything that he has achieved both in a footballing sense here and his strong bond with the owners, which include strong emotional ones of course.

If he was simply dropped, there would be a lot of negative publicity which could have a less than favorable affect on the team. Perhaps we need to 'spin' a period of absence. It could be claimed his hand was damaged in the challenge for their disallowed goal so Ward needs to come in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I feel that diplomatically he is undropable, given everything that he has achieved both in a footballing sense here and his strong bond with the owners, which include strong emotional ones of course.

If he was simply dropped, there would be a lot of negative publicity which could have a less than favorable affect on the team. Perhaps we need to 'spin' a period of absence. It could be claimed his hand was damaged in the challenge for their disallowed goal so Ward needs to come in.

I agree, he’s almost undroppable and that’s the problem. 
My Mrs has tested +ve - I could get her to sneeze at him….. if I had any faith he’d catch it! 

16 minutes ago, CloudFox said:

How do we fix the defence? Do we honestly think JJ and Fofana will magically fix it? We have too many players out of form:

Cags

Castagne

Ndidi

Kaspar

That's most of our defensive players. Yes, binning off zonal marking might work, but is that enough? Our mentality is weak when we concede too - the second half was nothing like the first and we just couldn't out Villa under pressure.

This is so tiresome. We really need a clean sheet or two to steady the nerves.

What if these players aren't that good?

Soyuncu had a decent first season and that's it. Perhaps he just had a good season and actually he's just an average centre half?

53 minutes ago, dannythefox said:

Makes me laugh he loved Perez before he got injured/banned now he never starts him, lookman doesn’t look great but he keeps playing him can’t win with Rodgers. Albrighton still better than both. 

I'm not going to argue Albrighton isn't better than both but playing Lookman even though he might not "look great" is kind of what you do when you're coaching him and have show trust that he will develop. A player trusting that he can make mistakes and not immediately be subbed will have more confidence. This is good management, right?  

I've stayed off here because the team depress me enough.

Today was offensively bad. We make poor teams look good. We deserved to lose that 4, 5-1 and I kinda wish we did.

Every week. Back out of 50/50s, concede set pieces, concede from the set pieces, look slow, tired, uninterested. 

The only thing we put effort into is diving and moaning at refs. It's an embarrassment...

I’m often bored watching us this season and finding it hard to believe how many of the basics we keep getting wrong. I can’t even work out why I’m bored given that we have scored quite a few but am finding it hard to look forward to going to games at the moment. It’s the performances rather than the results that make it so depressing. Some of them have been just plain inept. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

I'm not going to argue Albrighton isn't better than both but playing Lookman even though he might not "look great" is kind of what you do when you're coaching him and have show trust that he will develop. A player trusting that he can make mistakes and not immediately be subbed will have more confidence. This is good management, right?  

There’s a reason Everton, Fulham and his club don’t want him though. He’s the same as Gray was could be a great player but won’t be. 

2 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

How many more toothless performances does Brendan Rodgers name and reputation let him get away with? Nobody else would be getting away with such long term bad performances and lack of wins. We are playing some awful football and defending the worst we have done in years. It's abysmal.

He's just overrated. 

17 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I agree. Drop him for a couple and see how he comes back everyone needs it once in a while. It’s a area I’m starting to think we could do better in.