Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
lcfcfoz

Post Villa game Vote in or sack for Rodgers

Rodgers in or sacked  

671 members have voted

1. 1. Rodgers in or sacked

• In
    • Sack

1 minute ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Christ

How many more times are fans going to use the injury excuse by way of defending Rodgers?

1. lighten the training load if you get reoccurring injurues

2. sign decent back up players

Both of the above are Rodgers’ responsibility and ultimately his call to make

When it’s taken Maddison, Barnes, Youri and Ricky absolutely ages to get their form back after injury,  who’s to say these players coming back from injury now  will turn it around so quickly anyway? 

Are you serious about multiple injuries to the squad of the likes of Leicester not being a valid excuse as part of our recent form?  It certainly impacted on Liverpool.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 5waller5 said:

Why?

Because if you look at the teams who have had success they have stuck by their managers! Look at Klopp, if they sacked him when VVD was injured and they were struggling then where would they be now! If we finish for the next season in the bottom half then yes that's reasonable to have a change, with a tight league, injuries ruining our season and a previous 5th place finish over the last 2 seasons is enough to give him that opportunity to turn it around. To counter act the argument you may mention Chelsea, however A) they have incredible resources B) They messed up with Lampard and C) They are the exception rather than the rule

14 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I would be interested to hear how long you have been a Foxes Fan.  We have been adversely affected by injuries (mainly in defensive areas) for the past 18 months plus. This more than anything has impacted on the Team's performance.  Get all the players back and you will see things change.    One thing I do think may make a difference now is changing the Goalkeeping and Defensive coaches - it has gone stale and needs a re-think.   BR should give Huth a call to come take a look..

I’ve been a fan since around 2003. I don’t really see the relevance though. Just because I’ve seen us be useless in the past (really, really useless in fact!) doesn’t mean that I can just shrug off when we’re doing bad now. 

I think it’s a big stretch pinning all your hopes on us being good again on injuries and injuries alone. Both JJ and Wes will take a long time to get back to their best and even then that’s only two players. Youri has only been gone a few games and we weren’t spectacular when he was fit. Same with Ricardo. I obviously hope your right but I just don’t see it as that simple. 

5 minutes ago, mabbsy93 said:

Agreed Top seems to trust him to turn it around. And I hope he can also, as I also don't want us to become a club who often sacks managers.

However, I will say sometimes the 'calibre' of a manager is not the be all and end all. Sometimes a fresh voice is needed from someone who may not be of the same 'calibre' but gets a better tune out of the players.

As I say, I am still Rodgers in.

What I meant be Calibre wasn't just "the name". The experience, the ability to have the pulling power for good players to join us, the man management experience etc was what I was referring to. I agree sometimes a fresh voice is helpful, but perhaps that is short term thinking rather than long term, that fresh voice soon becomes stale and then what? Rinse and repeat?

I can't believe how much we got overran in the second half yesterday. Could've been 4-1. Really worrying that Gerrard can fire up a team like that at half time and whatever Rodgers said had the opposite effect.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Walkerfox said:

I’ve been a fan since around 2003. I don’t really see the relevance though. Just because I’ve seen us be useless in the past (really, really useless in fact!) doesn’t mean that I can just shrug off when we’re doing bad now. 

I think it’s a big stretch pinning all your hopes on us being good again on injuries and injuries alone. Both JJ and Wes will take a long time to get back to their best and even then that’s only two players. Youri has only been gone a few games and we weren’t spectacular when he was fit. Same with Ricardo. I obviously hope your right but I just don’t see it as that simple. 

Just because Ricardo has struggled to refind his pre injury form that doesn't mean to say the same will apply to JJ and Wes....each player is different and we might be pleasantly surprised that both of them will recover their form very quickly...

Got a feeling that will apply to Fofana especially.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hejammy said:

What I meant be Calibre wasn't just "the name". The experience, the ability to have the pulling power for good players to join us, the man management experience etc was what I was referring to. I agree sometimes a fresh voice is helpful, but perhaps that is short term thinking rather than long term, that fresh voice soon becomes stale and then what? Rinse and repeat?

Perhaps it is short term thinking, but in football you can't plan too far ahead anyway.

As you say the fresh new voice may quickly become stale. My worry is that the current 'long term' voice has become stale also. I guess we shall see over the remainder of the season.

17 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

I would be interested to hear how long you have been a Foxes Fan.  We have been adversely affected by injuries (mainly in defensive areas) for the past 18 months plus. This more than anything has impacted on the Team's performance.  Get all the players back and you will see things change.    One thing I do think may make a difference now is changing the Goalkeeping and Defensive coaches - it has gone stale and needs a re-think.   BR should give Huth a call to come take a look..

We're not gonna get all those players back fit and 100% any time soon though. It's more likely that when they do return wel just have a couple of different players out injured so I can't accept the wel be fine when our entire squad is fit excuse. Furthermore our defensive problems go far beyond a personnel issue. Replacing say Castagne and Soyuncu both of whom are competent international defenders with a couple of guys in their very early 20s, regardless of how good they are  for their age group, is not gonna magically fix things because its a system problem. 

I agree that things have gone stale but don't see why Rodgers should escape the fate you want for the goalkeeping and defensive (assuming we have one) coaches. The whole thing needs a rethink.

6 minutes ago, ren said:

I can't believe how much we got overran in the second half yesterday. Could've been 4-1. Really worrying that Gerrard can fire up a team like that at half time and whatever Rodgers said had the opposite effect.

Agreed. The most noticeable was Matty Cash, he didn't give Barnes a second to breathe in the second half, after a torrid first 45.

You could tell Gerrard had fired him up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Just because Ricardo has struggled to refind his pre injury form that doesn't mean to say the same will apply to JJ and Wes....each player is different and we might be pleasantly surprised that both of them will recover their form very quickly...

Got a feeling that will apply to Fofana especially.

That’s true. It would be amazing if that were the case. I still don’t think those two coming back though will suddenly make us good again. We aren’t going from middle to lower league team to top 6 team again just because two players return from injury. 

29 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Are you serious about multiple injuries to the squad of the likes of Leicester not being a valid excuse as part of our recent form?  It certainly impacted on Liverpool.  

Injuries were only a valid reason while Rodgers was in favour with the Fan base. Now he's falling out of favour injuries are just an excuse, finishing 5th for two seasons was a complete failure, he not improved any players in his time here and the FA Cup was a lucky win with a squad that should've won it anyway. 

14 hours ago, frany104 said:

If you don’t think it’s failure then your part of the problem. Not finishing top 4 for two seasons running when it was harder to drop out the top 4 is failure. At the beginning of each season if you would have said 5th we would have all took it. However, in both seasons it’s failure with the lead we had built up. 

Yeah….it’s so easy to get into the top four. 

20 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Am i the only one that thought we played well yesterday?

First half was good bar the typical set piece issues but the switch back to full Brendanball in the second half was very very hard on the eyes. 

I don't see an obvious replacement which is the main thing for him - maybe Rudi Garcia, maybe Lucien Favre. Ruben Amorim would be the dream and he was somebody we got linked to a year or so ago if Rodgers did leave, but I think we'd do incredibly well to pull it off now, he's won a league at a canter with largely the third wheel of the big three, looking like doing it again this year possibly (thumped Benfica away on Friday), all this following selling Bruno Fernandes. If we could get Amorim I'd do it.

But you'll notice that's not exactly an endorsement of Rodgers. When you're conceding the same goal over and over again that points to a massive flaw in the coaching. Whether there's been a falling out or what something is clearly not right. The defensive record is embarrassing. 2+ conceded in 10 out of 15 league games is it? Throw in 2 v Napoli and 3 v Spartak (!!!) for good measure. This is not a side that should be doing that. We are bailed out by the fact we've got quality going forward. We have three strikers who given the time could get 15+ in the league and that's something hardly anybody can say. We've got Maddison who for all his flaws does go on good runs and clearly has a talent. We've got Barnes who'll likely get us 10. We have firepower in this side. We should be doing far better.

What worries me most with Rodgers though is that I don't think he's the type to gradually improve a side. He will give a shot in the arm, he will raise the level almost immediately and that was evident massively in 2019 when he took a side being strangled by Puel's football off the leash and we looked deadly for large parts. Remember Liverpool in 2019/20? Won 26 of their first 27 games and I remember them being delighted when Norwich got a point here. Don't forget how good we looked at one point.

The fact we have gone from that to this, injuries and tougher schedule or not, is worrying and given we're at a pretty pivotal period regarding recruitment, I've not seen evidence that it's going to be fixed. This squad is better than this. We're 11th in a very clustered league, with a hard run coming up, we're on a knife edge regarding getting through what on paper is a very passable group. Napoli I can forgive but the other two? Absolutely no chance. If it wasn't such an expensive operation for us I think we'd have to seriously consider it. Sadly I'm thinking this season just peters out into nothingness - feels like bar the cups it's a write off already and I don't exactly expect us to pull up any trees in them either.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Simoken said:

I thought we did ok, for an away performance tbf. As always in the prem, it’s extremely fine margins. If buts and maybes. Had we buried another chance, we would have gotten the draw which we probably deserved.

53 minutes ago, hejammy said:

Because if you look at the teams who have had success they have stuck by their managers! Look at Klopp, if they sacked him when VVD was injured and they were struggling then where would they be now! If we finish for the next season in the bottom half then yes that's reasonable to have a change, with a tight league, injuries ruining our season and a previous 5th place finish over the last 2 seasons is enough to give him that opportunity to turn it around. To counter act the argument you may mention Chelsea, however A) they have incredible resources B) They messed up with Lampard and C) They are the exception rather than the rule

Liverpool stuck with Klopp and he changed it around... yes. But HOW did he change it? He changed it by actually CHANGING things. 

When Liverpool started to struggle, they averaged 2.7 passes per attack. Their Fullbacks got forward earlier and they looked to go forward as early as possible. Then after they started to slip a little, he adapted. Their fullbacks spent more time on the ball from deeper. They were more patient, kept the ball longer and averaged around 6 passes per attack.... It worked. 

Rodgers doesn't do that. Yes, he may change personnel or formation but the style of play stays the same. How can he turn it around if he isn't willing to change anything? Even GLARING issues such as defending set pieces. We've been one of if not THE worst side in the division in this regard for the best part of TWO SEASONS and he hast thought of switching from Zonal, putting a man on the post or adapting in any visible way. Or our notorious slow starts in games. He was quoted the other day as saying that it was a problem when he arrived yet 3 years later and he's done nothing to solve the issue? We are still starting games on the back foot and conceding early. 

I'm all up for giving him more time but he has to actually DO something with that time and there has been no evidence to suggest that he will.... or that he even can. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Simoken said:

First half was good, one of our best halves of the season. Given it was a pretty young side there are some positives. I don’t think Rodgers can fix the remaining persistent issue though. 

1 hour ago, mozartfox said:

Of course it impacts them

But Rodgers has to take a portion of responsibility for the training regimes applied. If they’re too intense, if they’re not getting enough recovery time. For sacking Rennie 👀 

Managers take credit for keeping a squad fit, so they can take some of the responsibility for them continually being injured too

• Like 1