Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FuriousFox46

If Rodgers goes…who’s next?

10 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

If we lose to Newcastle this weekend then the situation could become serious. If there is any chance of us getting dragged into relegation trouble then I'm confident that they will act accordingly. If we win on Sunday then that will buy more time, as it means that we will realistically be in a position where it's not an immediate concern. 

...the problem is, if we continue to fail to perform, the cries of dissatisfaction will not only ring out on this forum!!!

The crowd at our games could become toxic, once it starts to roll, it becomes hard to stop and players are going to struggle to play their game under such pressure. Rodgers has complained about booing and it could become a personal attack as he is the man in charge, he is buckling at the moment with the comments after games and the players will be disrupted by this as they will obviously be taking it on board.

Edited by sacreblueits442
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m sure this is true for managers who want to take jobs where clubs have the upper hand but we were negotiating to keep BR from going to arsenal. Be surprised if we managed to get clauses like that in. 

There's no way we'd agree to a release clause in his contract for a CL club which is the equivalent of a years wages of his but then have to pay his whole contract off it it goes the other way and he bombs.

It'll be £10m-ish

16 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I have had some time to think about this since yesterday's match which made me quite angry and have decided that I don't think he should go yet. I think Rodgers is a capable manager and can turn this around ( although does need to very soon). I think one of the big problems Rodgers has is a lack of experience in his back room staff with people like kolo touré, who as a defensive coach clearly does not seem to be up to it and Chris Davies who I forgot was our assistant manager until yesterday as he has so little presence. There only real previous experience was a Celtic. I think he needs to bring in a more experienced coach's and assistant (someone like Shakespeare) who help him when he runs out of ideas and can challenge him when they think he is getting it wrong as I wonder if the lack of experience in the backroom staff mean this isn't happening.

Chris Davis is highly rated tbf, has been linked with a few managerial jobs. Sounds as tho he is a very good coach. Can’t comment on Kolo tho.

4 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I have had some time to think about this since yesterday's match which made me quite angry and have decided that I don't think he should go yet. I think Rodgers is a capable manager and can turn this around ( although does need to very soon). I think one of the big problems Rodgers has is a lack of experience in his back room staff with people like kolo touré, who as a defensive coach clearly does not seem to be up to it and Chris Davies who I forgot was our assistant manager until yesterday as he has so little presence. There only real previous experience was a Celtic. I think he needs to bring in a more experienced coach's and assistant (someone like Shakespeare) who help him when he runs out of ideas and can challenge him when they think he is getting it wrong as I wonder if the lack of experience in the backroom staff mean this isn't happening.

If Rudkin is breathing down his neck to make a change(which I don't believe) then the axe will be near.  Rodgers has had considerable success with that group and I doubt he'll sell them out to keep his job. Learned that lesson at Liverpool and was fired anyway. There are lots of reasons that I can see for our problems but BS appeasements to the supporters is not one of them.

18 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I think you are forgetting one issue: Rodgers is apparently a stubborn and self imposed manager. he does not necessarily listen to anyone, so adding advisory staff would be a waste of money and effort. He does what he wants to be done and is the sole decision maker. He takes the glory but doesn´t accept the responsibility for failure.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...the problem is, if we continue to fail to perform, the cries of dissatisfaction will not only ring out on this forum!!!

The crowd at our games could become toxic, once it starts to roll, it becomes hard to stop and players are going to struggle to play their game under such pressure. Rodgers has complained about booing and it could become a personal attack as he is the man in charge, he is buckling at the moment with the comments after games and the players will be disrupted by this as they will obviously taking it on board.

That’s already started to happen. The boos last night were reserved purely and directly for Rodgers when he walked over to us

22 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

....Davies will be his confidant, it would be very difficult for Rodgers to defer to someone else and marginalise his current number two!!!

I suspect Rodgers deals on a one to one basis as a "man manager" and I cannot see him breaking the trust they have built up previously.

30 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He finished 6th with less points than Gary Rowett the year before and yes they had one of the biggest budgets in the league, an unsustainable one, hence where they are now. 

How can I call a manager bang average who finished 6th with Derby, got the Chelsea job on the back of being Frank Lampard and then got sacked by Chelsea… dunno… wonder why. 

He hasn't had anywhere near enough time in management to be called bang average. He has had two and half seasons in management, did pretty well in 2 seasons I'd say. 

• Like 1

Guest StevieLynex
2 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

He hasn't had anywhere near enough time in management to be called bang average. He has had two and half seasons in management, did pretty well in 2 seasons I'd say. 

Got Chelsea into the Champions League without being able to spend much in his first season

5 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....did not realise there was booing at the end of the game, it will be interesting what the reaction will be, if we are not at in on Sunday!!!

It was very loud too

He’ll be under no illusion that it was aimed at him- the players had all walked off pretty much by the time BR came to applaud us (alone)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dusty said:

Chris Davis is highly rated tbf, has been linked with a few managerial jobs. Sounds as tho he is a very good coach. Can’t comment on Kolo tho.

Ah fair enough I didn't realise that. But my general point was an overall lack of experience in the coaching team rather than just about him

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TheStig said:

I think you are forgetting one issue: Rodgers is apparently a stubborn and self imposed manager. he does not necessarily listen to anyone, so adding advisory staff would be a waste of money and effort. He does what he wants to be done and is the sole decision maker. He takes the glory but doesn´t accept the responsibility for failure.

A lot of people say this but I don't see this in Rodgers if anything I'd say he's chopped and changed formation too often this season

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....Davies will be his confidant, it would be very difficult for Rodgers to defer to someone else and marginalise his current number two!!!

I suspect Rodgers deals on a one to one basis as a "man manager" and I cannot see him breaking the trust they have built up previously.

Yes true but he doesn't necessarily have to replace Davies just add other voices as well?

31 minutes ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Rodgers wouldn't be out of work for long Newcastle, Everton, Leeds could all be after a new manager soon, he'd be right at the top of their lists

...definitely, irrespective of what is happening here, supporters outside of this club will see him as a top manager due to his league positions for the last two seasons!!!

We picked up Puel, even with the dismay of the Southampton supporters ringing in our ears regarding his time at their club. We still picked him up, and learned the hard way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...definitely, irrespective of what is happening here, supporters outside of this club will see him as a top manager due to his league positions for the last two seasons!!!

We picked up Puel, even with the dismay of the Southampton supporters ringing in our ears regarding his time at their club. We still picked him up, and learned the hard way.

And let's be fair, I'm the short-term he will do well if he moves on. 

23 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Very good point.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

Yes true but he doesn't necessarily have to replace Davies just add other voices as well?

....it would be hard to see that working out!!!

I would love to see Shakey return, but he would have to have a major input regarding playing style, and being a conduit for the players to the manager with input into the fitness of players. There is lots of speculation regarding players coming back too soon and players suffering, with preventing "burn out", he will be too big a problem for Rodgers to deal with, and more importantly he will not be "his man". Rodgers would be spending too much time looking over his own shoulders.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

But surely if you'd want him as Rodgers' replacement you'd also like to see something on his CV which suggests he'd improve us. No? Plenty of managers come into the category of 'can't be written off because they haven't had long enough yet'. So which aspect of Lampard's skill set leads you to believe that he's a good fit?

At the moment we're worried about our defensive record, especially from set pieces. We're worried about poor summer recruitment. We're worried about purposeless sideways build-up play from the back; apparently a consequence of a manager with a rigid footballing philosophy.

Based on that, why on earth would you look to Lampard? And please don't tell me 'maybe Terry would come'. He didn't join him at Chelsea, and he just left another mid-table club (supposedly) to enter management.

At Derby, Lampard failed to improve on the previous manager's performance, despite having the likes of Mount and Tomori at his disposal. If our fans are tired of sideways passing football, or substandard signings, they should chat to a Derby fan from that period. Just mention Waghorn, Marriott and Malone. He wasn't nearly as popular there as you might imagine.

At Chelsea they collapsed defensively under Lampard. When he did recruit players, it was often questionable. He was a surprise appointment, largely as a result of his legendary status there, and did worse than his predecessor and his successor. When he left, it wasn't merely a bounce which followed in his wake. It was a sustained, dramatic improvement with the same set of players. Why would we want FL any more than we'd want Solskjaer, based on that? Because he has given younger players a chance (out of necessity) and favours a similar footballing philosophy to BR? Is that enough?

If it weren't for Chelsea firing Lampard, we'd be in the Champions League now. I see no remotely logical reason for wanting to replace a credible manager like BR with someone like that. I mean, if you're seriously suggesting that we take a passable second tier record and a brief, inconclusive PL record as reasons for appointing him, then why wouldn't we simply appoint a manager who'd actually impressed at both levels... and perhaps at clubs with lesser resources? Thomas Frank, Bielsa, Dyche... even Wilder. I wouldn't especially want any of them, though there are more reasons for believing that they would than that Lampard would turn us around.

Even Pearson! There is literally a stronger argument for reappointing him (which certainly isn't something that I'd suggest any time soon) than there is for appointing Lampard. He did extremely well in the second tier, led one of the relegation favourites to mid-table in the PL, and left them with a side that would go on to win the league. How does FL match up to that? (The answer: very badly).

But I don't want to see this happen. And yet a quick comparison of his record and Lampard's is a reminder of just how silly an appointment the latter would be. I do wish that people who lazily float his name actually took a second, with an objective mind, to look at his record and ask whether there's anything resembling a persuasive, logical argument for his appointment.

Really, there isn't.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I think this is really true but Brendan wants to be the focal point. I don't think his ego will ever take advice. 

On 05/12/2021 at 20:18, goody2028 said:

Cambiasso till the end of the season 

I genuinely felt this was a top call until I checked his licence. He can't. Unless there's something about doing the top qualification on the job that I'm unaware of.