Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FuriousFox46

If Rodgers goes…who’s next?

I'm relaxed about this, he's for a horror December ahead of him. If it goes as expected then he's going to be under huge pressure in 2022 and I think the owners will act quite swiftly if the rot has set in by the time we play the easier teams January onwards. Given we'll be missing a few at AFCON, that's not guaranteed we will pick up results so we could be bang in trouble. 

Do not rule out a return of about 6 or 7 points in the next 10-12 league games.

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

The point is ... We're not eating that massive contract.

Thanks for making this point so directly.  A club with less than half Spurs' income is not rushing to take a Mourinho-size financial hit.  Not without seeing how we do when our top young defenders return from injury.  Or actually (not in fans' fears) entering/staying in the relegation zone.  Rodgers will get the opportunity to turn this thing around.

That's not to say we won't be evaluating candidates or making informal contact with agents??  But pulling this trigger is one very expensive bullet.

I'll say it again, pay a little attention to the financial side ... Lo, the scales will fall away from your eyes and many things will be explained.

• Like 1

Realistically I see no chance of him going. In a way I hope he can ride out this storm and get them back playing like we know they can.

Look at Arteta, he was doggo for months, now look, he's on his way to making Arsenal into a decent side again. I am concerned about our defensive frailty though, and how that will get solved because atm we look like a colander..

16 hours ago, Matt said:

And this is the crux of the issue isn't it.

It's the only reason i've had for not fully wanting Rodgers gone but i'm past caring now tbh, whatever.

The only thing I will say is this style is obviously coming from someone above in the club, so what the point in getting rid, we're still gonna play this insipid shite.

...any source for this!!!

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...any source for this!!!

No. It’s an opinion.

Perhaps worded wrong on my part or interpreted wrong on yours.

Given we ‘transitioned’ after we won the league to then bringing Puel in with the clear remit of playing this way only for it to continue with Rodgers on to now, that’s what I base the opinion on.

I dont think Rodgers is the issue here, i think this is a season of priorities... And i dont think the PL is a priority. My guess is that the club have given him remit to go after a european cup, and everything else is secondary. This is just a guess though. I don't thik the form at the moment though, is representative of what our squad can accomplish, and that IS an issue. This is to say, i dont think Rodgers will be leaving any time soon, though he will need to buck his ideas up in the prem.

Edited by Fridgechef
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Matt said:

No. It’s an opinion.

Perhaps worded wrong on my part or interpreted wrong on yours.

Given we ‘transitioned’ after we won the league to then bringing Puel in with the clear remit of playing this way only for it to continue with Rodgers on to now, that’s what I base the opinion on.

...obviously two top 5 finishes proves the style of play is not the problem!!!

The ability to motivate and organise is the problem at the moment, I do not believe Rodgers has the capabilities to turn this around, he needs this season to end as soon as possible and rebuild.

The only times he has broken a bad run is at the start of a new season. You could say these performances are a continuation of the finish to last years season.

56 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm relaxed about this, he's for a horror December ahead of him. If it goes as expected then he's going to be under huge pressure in 2022 and I think the owners will act quite swiftly if the rot has set in by the time we play the easier teams January onwards. Given we'll be missing a few at AFCON, that's not guaranteed we will pick up results so we could be bang in trouble. 

Do not rule out a return of about 6 or 7 points in the next 10-12 league games.

No chance, we will get around 15-20 pts.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

No chance, we will get around 15-20 pts.

Plot it, I really don't see it. I hope I'm wrong. I think bar Newcastle, we'll lose every game in December. Benitez always has Rodgers number and Gray is bound to score the winner. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

That wouldn't make sense though when for the best part of 18 months (roughly) we played decent attractive football with Rodgers. 

So why would we go from a boring manager with a typically boring style, to bring in one that was very hyped to succeed with us and play decent football for approx 18 months, then say 'ah, well, actually we don't want this, you can stay but we want you to go back to the style of football that got the last manager sacked...' 

That really doesn't make sense? 

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Plot it, I really don't see it. I hope I'm wrong. I think bar Newcastle, we'll lose every game in December. Benitez always has Rodgers number and Gray is bound to score the winner. 

Football isn't that easy to predict, we will get points we didn't expect to get and lose points we expected to get. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

Realistically I see no chance of him going. In a way I hope he can ride out this storm and get them back playing like we know they can.

Look at Arteta, he was doggo for months, now look, he's on his way to making Arsenal into a decent side again. I am concerned about our defensive frailty though, and how that will get solved because atm we look like a colander..

I think you're right but Arteta started with problems staffing and otherwise and appears to be turning the corner and getting better. Rodgers is the opposite, he started with a decent squad, has had it continually upgraded, but is gradually draining us and making us worse.

14 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Football isn't that easy to predict, we will get points we didn't expect to get and lose points we expected to get. 

So out of:
H Newcastle

H Spurs

A Everton

A Man City

H Liverpool

H Norwich

A Burnley

H Brighton

A Liverpool

H West Ham

A Wolves

A Chelsea

You think we will get 15-20 points?  Really? :o Where?

I think optimistically we can get DDLLLWDWLLLL which results in 9 points.  Realistically it'll be LLLLLWLDLLLL with maybe one or two of those L turning into a D if we're lucky (perhaps Newcastle (Eddie Howe now has them playing more confidently), Burnley and Wolves).

I'd genuinely love to hear what kind of results you're expecting to result in a minimum of 15 points from those 12 games. I realise that surprises happen (we may lose at home to Norwich, or may beat Man City away) but they even out. Our form is atrocious and we're getting worse. Go on - give us your optimistic and realistic expectations of those games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flappit said:

So out of:
H Newcastle

H Spurs

A Everton

A Man City

H Liverpool

H Norwich

A Burnley

H Brighton

A Liverpool

H West Ham

A Wolves

A Chelsea

You think we will get 15-20 points?  Really? :o Where?

I think optimistically we can get DDLLLWDWLLLL which results in 9 points.  Realistically it'll be LLLLLWLDLLLL with maybe one or two of those L turning into a D if we're lucky (perhaps Newcastle (Eddie Howe now has them playing more confidently), Burnley and Wolves).

I'd genuinely love to hear what kind of results you're expecting to result in a minimum of 15 points from those 12 games. I realise that surprises happen (we may lose at home to Norwich, or may beat Man City away) but they even out. Our form is atrocious and we're getting worse. Go on - give us your optimistic and realistic expectations of those games.

I think 18 points

Win against Newcastle, Everton, Norwich, Burnley, Brighton

Draw against Spurs, West Ham, Wolves

Lose against Man City, Liverpool (H) and (A) and Chelsea. 

Further showing the inconsistency of the side but also the difficulty of the games coming up. 

As @coolhandfox says, it won't go like stated above - who knows, we might win against Man City and lose against Brighton... 

18 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Posted this a few weeks ago when Rodgers was being heavily linked to Man Utd, we have been keeping tabs on him before as well

Ruben Amorim is the one, would apparently cost a lot to get him, possibly even more than we would get from Rodgers going to Man Utd, but I think it would definitely be worth it

After his short spell at Casa Pia (4 games) he was Braga Under 23 manager and then took over the senior job when that manager got sacked

13 games in charge, won 10, drew 1, lost 2 - beating sides like Sporting and Porto to win the Portuguese cup, leading to Sporting spending a similar amount to get him to what we paid for Rodgers and his whole backroom staff (€10 million)

Won Sporting their first league title in almost 20 years last season, only lost 1 league game all season, and conceded just 20 goals

Currently 2nd and still unbeaten after 13 games, having conceded just 5 goals

One of the best up and coming managers around at just 36, below article has a brilliant breakdown of every aspect of his 343 system

https://breakingthelines.com/tactical-analysis/tactical-analysis-ruben-amorims-sporting/

30million  to get Ruben Amorim...top coach 

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I think 18 points

Win against Newcastle, Everton, Norwich, Burnley, Brighton

Draw against Spurs, West Ham, Wolves

Lose against Man City, Liverpool (H) and (A) and Chelsea. 

Further showing the inconsistency of the side but also the difficulty of the games coming up. 

As @coolhandfox says, it won't go like stated above - who knows, we might win against Man City and lose against Brighton... 

:nigel:

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

In a way our situation very much mirrors Arsenal's last season and earlier this one under Arteta - re them going on a downhill slump for most of, if not all of last season after winning the FA Cup at the end the previous "re-start season" under Arteta a year before we did. Now we're the FA Cup holders just like Arsenal were last season and look how they finished! - outside European qualification of any kind for the first time in eons, much like how we're likely to end up this season! So the question is can Brendan turn it around in the same way Arteta has (at least for the time being) for Arsenal I guess?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

That wouldn't make sense though when for the best part of 18 months (roughly) we played decent attractive football with Rodgers. 

So why would we go from a boring manager with a typically boring style, to bring in one that was very hyped to succeed with us and play decent football for approx 18 months, then say 'ah, well, actually we don't want this, you can stay but we want you to go back to the style of football that got the last manager sacked...' 

That really doesn't make sense? 

It was ok, I think people look back with blue tinted glasses a little bit, some of it was good, exciting, some of it hmmm, not so much, on a whole it wasn't bad but I wouldn't say it was all decent and attractive for 18 months but I respect your opinion.

Edited by Matt

1 hour ago, Fridgechef said:

I dont think Rodgers is the issue here, i think this is a season of priorities... And i dont think the PL is a priority. My guess is that the club have given him remit to go after a european cup, and everything else is secondary. This is just a guess though. I don't thik the form at the moment though, is representative of what our squad can accomplish, and that IS an issue. This is to say, i dont think Rodgers will be leaving any time soon, though he will need to buck his ideas up in the prem.

.. he is not exactly making a good attempt if that is his remit for this season!!!

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...obviously two top 5 finishes proves the style of play is not the problem!!!

The ability to motivate and organise is the problem at the moment, I do not believe Rodgers has the capabilities to turn this around, he needs this season to end as soon as possible and rebuild.

The only times he has broken a bad run is at the start of a new season. You could say these performances are a continuation of the finish to last years season.

In terms of excitment, entertainment and enthusiasm, it's been dire at times.

50/50 infact i'd say slowly but surely outweighing the good.

So Rodgers got us on the straight path when taking over, which was seen as a long pre season really when he first came in.

1st full season;

1st half of the season: Yeah quite a good first half, it was possession ball but we were moving forward.

2nd half of the season; Inexplicitly fell off a cliff, threw all the hard work away, playing with the brakes on, scared to go over the half way line.

2nd full season:

1st half of the season: Surprising recovered from the 2nd half of the 1st season, I expected claims of a 'hangover' from the failure/bottling of the previous season, again we started fairly well, although I felt you could tell we were playing more restricted with the reigns on abit more.

2nd half of the season: Inexplicitly fell off a cliff, threw all the hard work away, playing with the brakes on, scared to go over the half way line.

3rd season:

1st half of the season: A carry on of the inexplicit falling off a cliff, playing with the brakes off, scared to go over the half way line, far too easy to play again, opposition can't wait to play us with as I thought would happening the 1st half of the 2nd season, a 'hangover' being blamed, if i'd been in a coma for the previous season and a half and just woke up i'd still think Puel was in charge.

2nd half of the season: Remains to be seen; Will he have the opportunity?

Edited by Matt