Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SouthStandUpperTier

Napoli (A) Thurs 9th Dec 5:45pm - Pre-match Thread

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Without reading the thread which 7 players are out?

Seven Leicester City players have not travelled to Italy for Thursday's final Europa League group stage game against Napoli.

Players are unavailable because of a combination of positive Covid-19 tests as well as some feeling "unwell".

Three members of the backroom staff have also not made the trip.

"We have had some positive cases and some people who are not well so we haven't taken the risk," boss Brendan Rodgers said.

"We will have seven [players] unavailable. It's been the last few days really, you're starting to see a few more cases. It's about the health of our players and we have to respect the travel, coming into Italy.

"We still have a strong squad here, but unfortunately not a fully-fit squad."

Rodgers confirmed midfielder Youri Tielemans and defender Ryan Bertrand are available for selection following their injuries.

Leicester, who are currently top of Group C in the Europa League with eight points from five games, will qualify for the last 16 if they beat Napoli.

"It's one we're very comfortable on, knowing it's in our own hands," Rodgers added.

"If we win, we top the group, if we don't lose we qualify. The key is to be positive in our mindset and try to win the game. They are an excellent team but we played really well against them at home."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59587170

does this illustrate that we also have members of the backroom staff who aren’t double jabbed and therefore also unable to do their jobs ??.

11 minutes ago, davieG said:

Seven Leicester City players have not travelled to Italy for Thursday's final Europa League group stage game against Napoli.

Players are unavailable because of a combination of positive Covid-19 tests as well as some feeling "unwell".

"We have had some positive cases and some people who are not well so we haven't taken the risk," boss Brendan Rodgers said.

"We will have seven [players] unavailable. It's been the last few days really, you're starting to see a few more cases. It's about the health of our players and we have to respect the travel, coming into Italy.

Rodgers confirmed midfielder Youri Tielemans and defender Ryan Bertrand are available for selection following their injuries.

Leicester, who are currently top of Group C in the Europa League with eight points from five games, will qualify for the last 16 if they beat Napoli.

"It's one we're very comfortable on, knowing it's in our own hands," Rodgers added.

"If we win, we top the group, if we don't lose we qualify. The key is to be positive in our mindset and try to win the game. They are an excellent team but we played really well against them at home."

I've just found out

They include: Ademola Lookman, Daniel Amartey, Kelechi Iheanacho, Ayoze Perez, Filip Benkovic, Vontae Daley-Campbell and Jannik Vestergaard

41 minutes ago, foxgas said:

Worse case scenario is to lose and drop into that other league that spurs are in. At least if we get knocked out we get more Saturday football and a chance to improve our league position.

Agree. 3rd division European  football can get in the bin 

City squad

Goalkeepers: Schmeichel, Ward, Stolarczyk

Defenders: Castagne, Thomas, Bertrand, Evans, Soyuncu, Nelson

Midfielders: Choudhury, Ndidi, Soumare, Dewsbury-Hall, Tielemans, Ewing

Attacking midfielders/wingers: Maddison, Albrighton, Barnes, McAteer

Strikers: Vardy, Daka

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, davieG said:

City squad

Goalkeepers: Schmeichel, Ward, Stolarczyk

Defenders: Castagne, Thomas, Bertrand, Evans, Soyuncu, Nelson

Midfielders: Choudhury, Ndidi, Soumare, Dewsbury-Hall, Tielemans, Ewing

Attacking midfielders/wingers: Maddison, Albrighton, Barnes, McAteer

Strikers: Vardy, Daka

There's plenty to work with there, no excuses. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clever Fox said:

We've got to keep the faith and hope that we do it.

We certainly have the players to win it. It just depends on which Leicester turns up tonight.

With Youri back to control midfield I'm confident we'll find a way to win 1-2

It's a tough first game back for him. I'm worried he'll be a bit rusty, have too much expected of him and won't have the ability around him at the moment. I think we'll get outworked again 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, davieG said:

Actually, it's only 5 players + Lookman and Perez.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Sevilla aren't a big team. It was like beating West Ham or Villa. 

Tonight is only our second ever 'tier 2' opponent, the other being Atletico. Everyone else we've played have been bums, though I kinda like we've played Spartak, AEK and Red Star -  names that have a bit of je ne sais quoi

Must have missed West Ham or Villa winning the Europa League/UEFA cup six times in the last 15 years or so.

I’m sure when we beat them, it was the first knock out European game they had lost for about three years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I’d started to build up a bit of hope for this. Some siege mentality in the squad and Napoli being eight out. A crowd of 10k expected. 

We are shite away from home in Europe. The three countries we’ve won in are Northern Ireland, Belgium and Greece 

10k that all?

4 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Really don’t get this attitude from Leicester fans! It’s not like we have a rich history of European football.

IF, we were to drop into the Europa Conference and win it, it would be a huge achievement for us. I get for teams who regularly compete in the Champions League it might be a step back. But for a team like ours, we should be proud we are competing in Europe.

Agreed and we might not get into Europe again for years if ever so let's make this last as long as possible.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Really don’t get this attitude from Leicester fans! It’s not like we have a rich history of European football.

IF, we were to drop into the Europa Conference and win it, it would be a huge achievement for us. I get for teams who regularly compete in the Champions League it might be a step back. But for a team like ours, we should be proud we are competing in Europe.

I don’t even think just win it. To have a run and get, say, to the semis before we bump into one of the bigger teams would be massive for branding, confidence and adds more colour to our history. 

Every time we play in Athens or Portugal or Ukraine or wherever, we slowly build up our profile in places that, frankly, barely have heard of us. I like that. Kinda a soft diplomacy.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Kasper

Castagne   Evans   Soyuncu   Thomas

Ndidi

Albrighton  Tielemens Maddison   Barnes

Vardy

Hopefully it's this then, I believe we can do it.

Those missing with covid isn't anywhere near as bad as it could be, possibly only Iheanacho will be a miss. 

It's simple, if he's finally swallowed his pride and trained us on man marking at set pieces then we stand a chance, especially with Youri back.

Why are there only 10k of their fans their tonight? Covid? Poverty? 

3 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Agreed and we might not get into Europe again for years if ever so let's make this last as long as possible.

I'll be disappointed if we do drop down but we'll have a decent chance of winning it and getting back in to the EL which is a mere pipe dream from our league position this season.

• Like 2

The most realistic way of us getting in to the Champions League again is through winning the Europa League. We were joint favourites with Napoli to win the competition at the start (yes I know, the Champions League losers were not known then but still...) 

If we can get a result tonight it would be a massive boost to the confidence of the players. We will have beat the best in the the competition on their turf and it would show everyone we can win it. We'll have key players returning next year during the later stages of the competition and it could play into our hands nicely. 

I think having the Champions League experience in the past helps release the pressure a bit. It almost feels like we belong here and we can look down our noses a little. Reaching the quarters of the CL after winning the PL has just blown expectations and our reputation out of the water. I remember the European nights under MON where it felt we didn't belong there, it just felt like we were minnows. Not now, last season we lost to S. Prague in the KOs and we brushed it off like a pre-season friendly. Getting that far back in the day under MON would have been the biggest night in our history. How times have changed.!

Let's go out there tonight play with confidence and have an air of superiority about us. The last decade has given us that right. 

7 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Actually, it's only 5 players + Lookman and Perez.

Thanks for replying, I found out since, see further down.

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I'll be disappointed if we do drop down but we'll have a decent chance of winning it and getting back in to the EL which is a mere pipe dream from our league position this season.

Spurs could end up out of the Europa conference as well

• Like 1