Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BoyJones

We need a new goal keeper

I think Kasper has never been comfortable commanding his box, for some reason this season he has regressed, he did at least use to punch the ball out which is better than standing there doing nothing, in the Villa game I focused on him, and on one of their goals he started moving towards the ball to intercept but then backed down and they scored from it a couple of touches later, that to me showed he just isnt confident coming out to intercept.

If Kasper is dropped it would be a very brave move from the manager which if doesnt work could finish him.

Edited by Chrysalis

I’m not saying Kasper shouldn’t take responsibility for his lack of progression in certain areas, but why is Mike Stowell never mentioned in these debates, he’s still the only goalkeeping coach at the club isn’t he?

It seems like a lot of the weaknesses in his game are things that could be coached, or could have been in his younger years at least.

On a personal note, whenever I’ve met Stowell at the training ground he’s always seemed like a right lazy b*stard… granted this was a few years back now.  

I think if Schmeichel went back to basics he'd be much better. Not necessarily his fault if BR is insisting we play out from the back despite none of our current back line, or keeper, being confident or capable of playing out from the back.

When it comes to quick, long distribution,  Schmeichel was one of the best. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bert said:

We have some of the most fickle fans in the country it’s unreal. Kasper is our best ever goalkeeper, and still one of the best in the league. There’s a reason why Ward hasn’t replaced him, and maybe we need to look at a lot of second ball defending as well rather than placing all blame on Schmeichel. It’s embarrassing, really. 

What keeper is readily going to come here that’ll improve us? The answer is there isn’t one right now. 

This.

• Like 1

On 07/12/2021 at 11:30, Cardiff_Fox said:

Kasper could take a long hard look at this video 

Or Rodgers.

He obviously wants Kasper to play out from the back and while his kicking does frustrate me, always has, he is also the most limited player on the pitch in terms of passing ability.

• Like 1

Replacing Kasper is not the answer (imo) sorting out why we are so sloppy elsewhere (Midfield/Defence) would be way more beneficial and a lot less pressure on the goalkeeper. 

I honestly dread the day when he leaves, have said it before but he is a massive personality on and off the pitch. Ward certainly is not a replacement. 

He has not been his best of late, but again surely thats down to the other 10 players also being shit. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Bert said:

We have some of the most fickle fans in the country it’s unreal. Kasper is our best ever goalkeeper, and still one of the best in the league. There’s a reason why Ward hasn’t replaced him, and maybe we need to look at a lot of second ball defending as well rather than placing all blame on Schmeichel. It’s embarrassing, really. 

What keeper is readily going to come here that’ll improve us? The answer is there isn’t one right now. 

Best ever keeper? I presume you are of the younger generation. I would rate Banks,Shilton,Wallington and Flowers above him off the top of my head. A keeper who commands his area doesn't need to make as many saves and takes so much pressure off defenders.

• Like 3

There comes a time in every players career, not saying that's now as big fan of his but If none of the younger GKs are going to push E Jak out the way & Ward can't push Kasper out then what about Dean Henderson?
Man U looking to loan him out in Jan maybe willing to sell despite him signing a contract last year, he's 24 & we need to have 1 eye on the future. Ward is 28 & i think contracted till 2025 but he will be wanting 1st team football now surely, he's in his prime & not getting a game , E Jak will leave at the end of his contract he's 37 now & only played twice the whole time we've had him for christ sake.
If the latest sound bites from Kasper are true in that he wants to experiance football at another team his contract is up 2023 so does Ward sit for another 2yrs until then & then he have Ward, Iverson as 1/2?

The 3 development GKs are 19/20 & probably no where near the 1st the team, leaving Daniel Iverson who is highly thought of by the club is 24 & currently playing for Preston on loan but is he better than Henderson who has played in the Premier lge securing at least 11 clean sheets with a very very bad Sheff Utd team.

Henderson is known for his distribution with both his hands and feet as a goalkeeper, as well as his ability to claim crosses or to catch and punch high balls & described as very vocal. So he's up on Kasper except for the vocal reference & Kasper we know is a shot stopper although 11 clean sheets with Sheff U suggests Henderson pretty good in that dept also.

• Like 1

Kasper was just as vulnerable to corners etc. when Wes and Rob were at the back but they took some beating in the air. Actually the best in the air CB we have is Benko but Rodgers doesn't trust the rest of his game.  When Fofana returns that should help a bit but it won't cure the problem. Kasper of course pulls off at least ten saves a season that nobody else would get to. So its a hard decision to make and Rodgers will stick to what he knows best I reckon.

7 minutes ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

I think he's the best goalkeeper for 1-in-1 situations in the league and is a very good shot stopper and decent with his feet. Unlikely to find a 'superkeeper' with it all like Alisson and Oblak so it's up to us all whether the pros outweigh the cons in set piece situations.

Martinez is a v good all rounder but won't be cheap as Villa wouldn't want to let him go. Maybe the situation will be different in 18 months time when Kaspers contract is up. Can't see the club wanting to replace Kasper anytime before then unless his form falls off a cliff. 

This whole thing smacks of classic FoxesTalk scapegoating. 

I get it, we're in awful form, there's systemic problems about the way we play and we've been in slow decline for a long time. 

It's frustrating and people are trying to find solutions - or in most cases, trying to find something/someone to blame. 

Kasper has been our first choice keeper for a decade and throughout that time we've gone through phases of average, amazing and poor defences/defending form. 

So it stands to reason that Kasper isn't suddenly the problem. His weaknesses (not coming for crosses, not dominating the 6 yard box, and not being amazing at short passes) have been largely the same throughout his time here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bert said:

No he isn't. Take your pick from Shilton and Banks, either were better IMO.

And no he isn't still one of the best in the league. Great shot-stopper, possibly the best in the league at one on ones, great man and leader, and will be loved forever for what he's done for Leicester. But his ability on crosses, set-pieces and his distribution are barely PL standard. Just my opinion obviously. I see him as the root cause of our woes this season. He's reduced the back four/five to nervous wrecks. And me too. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, foxgas said:

Best ever keeper? I presume you are of the younger generation. I would rate Banks,Shilton,Wallington and Flowers above him off the top of my head. A keeper who commands his area doesn't need to make as many saves and takes so much pressure off defenders.

Just now, Steve Earle said:

No he isn't. Take your pick from Shilton and Banks, either were better IMO.

And no he isn't still one of the best in the league. Great shot-stopper, possibly the best in the league at one on ones, great man and leader, and will be loved forever for what he's done for Leicester. But his ability on crosses, set-pieces and his distribution are barely PL standard. Just my opinion obviously. I see him as the root cause of our woes this season. He's reduced the back four/five to nervous wrecks. And me too. 

This debate came up the other week - what I've said before and I think what @Bert is saying, is that whilst there's a debate to be had whether or not players like Banks or Shilton were better keepers than Kasper, Kasper has been a better keeper for Leicester  than anyone else

23 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

There comes a time in every players career, not saying that's now as big fan of his but If none of the younger GKs are going to push E Jak out the way & Ward can't push Kasper out then what about Dean Henderson?
Man U looking to loan him out in Jan maybe willing to sell despite him signing a contract last year, he's 24 & we need to have 1 eye on the future. Ward is 28 & i think contracted till 2025 but he will be wanting 1st team football now surely, he's in his prime & not getting a game , E Jak will leave at the end of his contract he's 37 now & only played twice the whole time we've had him for christ sake.
If the latest sound bites from Kasper are true in that he wants to experiance football at another team his contract is up 2023 so does Ward sit for another 2yrs until then & then he have Ward, Iverson as 1/2?

The 3 development GKs are 19/20 & probably no where near the 1st the team, leaving Daniel Iverson who is highly thought of by the club is 24 & currently playing for Preston on loan but is he better than Henderson who has played in the Premier lge securing at least 11 clean sheets with a very very bad Sheff Utd team.

Henderson is known for his distribution with both his hands and feet as a goalkeeper, as well as his ability to claim crosses or to catch and punch high balls & described as very vocal. So he's up on Kasper except for the vocal reference & Kasper we know is a shot stopper although 11 clean sheets with Sheff U suggests Henderson pretty good in that dept also.

Henderson could be a good shout as a Kasper replacement when his contract is up (assuming he or the club don't renew). He did very well on his loan at Sheffield Utd and did well at Man Utd to start with displacing DDG but made a couple of howlers, which ended up in him being dropped and DDG has since regained his best form. 

The problem is Henderson wants first team football now, he's on silly high wages and Kasper isn't getting dropped anytime soon. If Henderson is available in 12-18 months time then I'm sure he'll be on the list.

Classic Foxestalk;

Multiple threads about underachieving with our quality squad because we aren't in the top 6 

Followed by multiple threads saying player x or y is not good enough, over the hill or crap. 

The irony....................

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

Classic Foxestalk;

Multiple Threads about underachieving with our quality squad because we aren't in the top 6 

Followed by multiple threads saying player x or y is not good enough, over the hill or crap. 

The irony....................

This a million times. Over the last 2 years just missing out on CL and of course this season, there's this pervasive discourse that is completely contradictory. 

"All our players are a bit crap, but we should also be doing way better than we are and also finishing higher than at least 3 other teams with vastly bigger resources" 

• Like 1

On 05/12/2021 at 20:59, BoyJones said:

I love Kasper, but he’s supposed to be in charge on corners. And is failing big time.

He cost us today. He was never brilliant on crosses, but now his failings are coming home to roost. Time to go and have a happy and we’ll deserved retirement.

Don’t blemish the memory of THAT save on 15th May 2021! 

The patience and understanding have long gone. Immediate and sustained success is the mantra now from all the keyboard warriors on here. Anything less and it’s a witch hunt. 

We’re having an indifferent season, a bit like the MON days, four bog standard league seasons with plenty of crap performances, but 25 years ago fans weren’t so judgemental and accepted sometimes things go wrong. 

If you lot celebrate BR getting the sack   want to get rid of Kasper, it’ll just confirm we have some of the stupidest fans in the league. 

:D :ph34r: