Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BoyJones

We need a new goal keeper

Actually, for once, I don't think this is scapegoating.

Kasper is a legend, and arguably our best ever for what he's achieved. 

However, the stats shows last season and so far this season, he's conceding more goals than expected by the shots he's faced, and his lack of command in the penalty area for high balls has been more exposed by our defenders not being proactive enough.

I admire Kasper for his character but for someone who sets such high standards for himself and the team, I think he would be questioning his form as well. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lcfc_forever said:

However, the stats shows last season and so far this season, he's conceding more goals than expected by the shots he's faced, and his lack of command in the penalty area for high balls has been more exposed by our defenders not being proactive enough.

I admire Kasper for his character but for someone who sets such high standards for himself and the team, I think he would be questioning his form as well. 

I.e its the defence that's got worse, not necessarily the goalkeeper...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, turlo said:

Martinez is a v good all rounder but won't be cheap as Villa wouldn't want to let him go. Maybe the situation will be different in 18 months time when Kaspers contract is up. Can't see the club wanting to replace Kasper anytime before then unless his form falls off a cliff. 

Why would he want to come here? Villa seem a team on the up, under our manager since Christmas last year, we're a team on the way down and regressing quickly. Even our occasional wins bar perhaps one are absolutely unconvincing now.

It's not that long ago we had defensive players that outside a couple of teams, we considered them to be the best in the league. Yes, Chilwell has gone and Fofana is injured, but are Evans, Soyuncu, Ricardo, Castagne, Thomas and Bertrand really that bad? Jonny Evans I think would, with all his experience know how to defend a corner far better than bloody Rodgers and Toure, so who is to blame there.

In midfield, Tielemans, Ndidi, Maddison, Soumare, Praet (on loan), Albrighton, Mendy, with Vardy, Barnes, Iheanacho, Daka in front of them. How many players there only 18 months ago, not only were we singing their praises, others clubs wanted them badly? Tielemans, Maddison and Ndidi, were there many better? All knew their jobs, all were good at them, what happened?

Rodgers happened over a long period of time, that's what's happened. Whilst despite him we were playing well at the beginning of each season and achieving,  he's been a slow malevolent force imo, gradually stamping his outdated and outmoded philosophy on the team and if given more money and time, he will buy a succession of players who will not be up to standard, be hard to get rid of and do immeasurable damage to this club's future which will take years to overcome. The writing's on the wall but some continue to swallow the media hype and his devolving of responsibility and blarney which I feel the players have now seen through. His latest nonsense being that certain of our problems predate his arrival? Really? How long has he been here now? Isn't he supposed to be an elite manager? Are they all the same players as under Puel? 

The Emporers new clothes are starting to show a bit of ankle I feel. 

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Why would he want to come here? Villa seem a team on the up, under our manager since Christmas last year, we're a team on the way down and regressing quickly. Even our occasional wins bar perhaps one are absolutely unconvincing now.

It's not that long ago we had defensive players that outside a couple of teams, we considered them to be the best in the league. Yes, Chilwell has gone and Fofana is injured, but are Evans, Soyuncu, Ricardo, Castagne, Thomas and Bertrand really that bad? Jonny Evans I think would, with all his experience know how to defend a corner far better than bloody Rodgers and Toure, so who is to blame there.

In midfield, Tielemans, Ndidi, Maddison, Soumare, Praet (on loan), Albrighton, Mendy, with Vardy, Barnes, Iheanacho, Daka in front of them. How many players there only 18 months ago, not only were we singing their praises, others clubs wanted them badly? Tielemans, Maddison and Ndidi, were there many better? All knew their jobs, all were good at them, what happened?

Rodgers happened over a long period of time, that's what's happened. Whilst despite him we were playing well at the beginning of each season and achieving,  he's been a slow malevolent force imo, gradually stamping his outdated and outmoded philosophy on the team and if given more money and time, he will buy a succession of players who will not be up to standard, be hard to get rid of and do immeasurable damage to this club. The writing's on the wall but some continue to swallow the media hype and his devolving of responsibility and blarney which I feel the players have now seen through. His latest nonsense being that certain of our problems predate his arrival? Really? How long has he been here? Isn't he supposed to be an elite manager? Are they all the same players as under Puel? 

The Emporers new clothes are starting to show a bit of ankle I feel. 

No idea how to quote from my original comment but here you go "Maybe the situation will be different in 18 months time when Kaspers contract is up." Martinez is an example of a v good all round keeper outside of the "big 6" that we should be looking at if Kasper leaves when his contract his up - If we're playing in Europe then and Villas project is dying on its arse then why not?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turlo said:

No idea how to quote from my original comment but here you go "Maybe the situation will be different in 18 months time when Kaspers contract is up." Martinez is an example of a v good all round keeper outside of the "big 6" that we should be looking at if Kasper leaves when his contract his up - If we're playing in Europe then and Villas project is dying on its arse then why not?

He's a good goalkeeper I fully agree but, not knowing what he'd cost, whether he'd be released or even if he'd want to come here are pertinent questions. Also, are there areas of concern like a wide right player of more immediate need? We may even have the answer in Ward if he was given a run of games to see how he fares which seems more realistic. 

• Like 1

If he's that good he wouldn't still be here ...   I love the great Dane but he cannot command his box and even despite his shot stopping he is costing us.  

And as for his distribution ! ..  jeez !  ..  the only keeper I've seen lately that was worse was that 13yr old girl that played in goal for Latvia against the Lionesses last week ..  :)

Kasper is not exempt from crisiticm because he's been here for a long time and won silverware. I don't think there's  time and space for sentiment in football. This season as all the stats show he's  arguably the worst keeper in the league right now. It's not just the defences fault for the lack of clean sheets. Shot stopping has always been great but we need more than that. We need a commanding keeper, and a taller one. The way he stands on his goal line constantly like he's super glued to it drives me mad. I also think those questioning his captain role have a point. The constant shouting and moaning can't be very inspiring. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ParkerPen said:

Kasper is not the only problem ! 

Premier League Player Stats - Saves

For balance you have to add in high claims, which he is bottom off and punches

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_high_claim

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/punches

Sort of backs up the narrative that he's a great shot stopper, but not so good a claiming high balls.  

Individual no one is a problem its a team issue, if the other team are peppering you goal, you can't save them all. 

Edited by coolhandfox

1 minute ago, coolhandfox said:

For balance you have to add in high claims, which he is bottom off and punches

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/total_high_claim

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/punches

Sort of backs up the narrative that he's a great shot stopper, but not so good a claiming high balls.  

Individual no one is a problem its a team issue, if the other team are peppering you goal, you can't save them all. 

Well he's not bottom as there's a second page which includes De Gea below him but he is very low down granted.

1 hour ago, lcfc_forever said:

Stats are relative and you can throw them in any direction just to backup your argument. How is he conceding more goals than expected given the shots he's faced? How is that even a stat? Every shot is different.

He is near the top of the list for shots faced. Says more about the rest of the team not closing down than it does the goalkeeper.

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Stats are relative and you can throw them in any direction just to backup your argument. How is he conceding more goals than expected given the shots he's faced? How is that even a stat? Every shot is different.

He is near the top of the list for shots faced. Says more about the rest of the team not closing down than it does the goalkeeper.

Agree, you need to include the defence in the overall context. But his stats were poor relative to the other keepers last year and so far this season. They're a useful indicator, and his form hasn't been great for some time. 

As fans, we remember those big moments and no doubt that for Denmark in the Euros, and in the FA Cup Final, he was magnificent. But he isn't consistently reaching those heights. 

I think people still use the argument around Kasper as a bit of a gatekeeping exercise because of how much money he has in the bank so to speak. 

The bottom line is, we should be on the hunt for a new number one now. The difficulty is it’s probably the hardest position on the pitch to get right. 

9 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Johnstone would be a great fit too. Means we could focus on appointing a new captain. Goalkeepers being captains seldom works, in our case it hasn’t. 

A little unfair. Morgan only played 1160 minutes over the two previous seasons, equivalent to 12.88 games.

So Kasper has pretty led us on the field for the majority of those two seasons resulting in two 5th places and a FA Cup, not sure that counts as not working. 

• Like 2

Drop  kasper start ward

change the captain to either central defence or midfield 

poor choices in too many games at the back from both team and management 

as for KDH  he ain’t the answer in midfield for us  too many mistakes with his decision making 

I’m sure all the Kasper and KDH fans will have something to say without any input 

21 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Johnstone would be a great fit too. Means we could focus on appointing a new captain. Goalkeepers being captains seldom works, in our case it hasn’t. 

If/when Kasper leaves we're short on potential captains/ Leaders, which is another big issue. Evans is getting on and could retire when Kaspers contract is up,  Youri will be off next summer, Vardy hasn't got long left, Albrighton is more of a role model than a captain and after that we're into the youngsters and party boys. I'd give it Amartey.   

54 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

A little unfair. Morgan only played 1160 minutes over the two previous seasons, equivalent to 12.88 games.

So Kasper has pretty led us on the field for the majority of those two seasons resulting in two 5th places and a FA Cup, not sure that counts as not working. 

It’s just an opinion. Although it may have worked for periods in the past, it blatantly isn’t now. It’s also a positional problem. How can a captain delegate that far away from play for most of the game? 

59 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

With respect, I’d also like to point out that in those two seasons we threw away a top four spot after being significantly clear of the chasing pack at most points in those two seasons. 

1 hour ago, turlo said:

If/when Kasper leaves we're short on potential captains/ Leaders, which is another big issue. Evans is getting on and could retire when Kaspers contract is up,  Youri will be off next summer, Vardy hasn't got long left, Albrighton is more of a role model than a captain and after that we're into the youngsters and party boys. I'd give it Amartey.   

I hadn't considered that. I think that's some way off, but I've no idea outside of our those you mention would actually work as a captain. It's going to be strange when all our Immortals have gone (plus Jonny).

On topic: I don't want Kaspar replaced any time soon, but thanks to his high standards he's the only position we haven't tried to upgrade or put in a succession plan yet since we were in the Championship. That's quite something.

Edit: The romantic part of me really wants his successor to be Iversen. How's he with claiming high balls? 😶

Edited by CloudFox