Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Transfer Rumours

4 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Yes, but they all worked with the  exception of possibly Inler.

That's my point you need to be sure older signings can make a difference.

You didn't need to be Einstein to know that Vestagaard had no pace and with all the analysis available we should have known Bertrand's legs have gone.  

Now we're stuck with them and we still have to find someone to do the job.

We need to keep finding the next Generation of talent that's out there, like this Greek kid that seems the business and we're trying to sign.

I genuinely think vestergarde was signed to help us with corners... I don’t think they realised how bad the rest of his defending was. 

I think Brendan thought his system was fine. It was the personnel that weren’t doing their jobs properly. In fact he still does keep saying that, even this weekend it was “people aren’t doing their individual jobs” 

How can the same recruitment team find a fofana but also sign a JV and Bennett. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

Doesn’t explain some of the lamentable signings over the past couple of windows 

I think our transfers largely break down in to two categories. Long term, major, project signings of young, high potential players for the development of the club and short term, reactive signings of "developed" players to cover immediate need. 

We're great at the former, we're awful at the latter. 

Given time to identify a target, study them and bring them in as a priority piece of business, we do really well signing young early 20 somethings with lots of promise. We've not had too many flops over the last three or four years. Tielemans, Ricardo, Justin, Daka, Soumaré, Fofana, Iheanacho (eventually), Soyuncu and Maddison were all cracking bits of business. 

But then we hit a point in the window where we've signed our key targets for the future and we've still got to try and cover gaps in the squad with bargains, loans, free transfers and general horse trading and we're absolutely bollocks. 

Bertrand, Vestergaard, Ward (tad harsh but 14 fvcking million!), Praet, Ghezzal, Lookman, Under, Perez, Silva, Slimani, the list of underwhelming stretches on and on. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think our transfers largely break down in to two categories. Long term, major, project signings of young, high potential players for the development of the club and short term, reactive signings of "developed" players to cover immediate need. 

We're great at the former, we're awful at the latter. 

Given time to identify a target, study them and bring them in as a priority piece of business, we do really well signing young early 20 somethings with lots of promise. We've not had too many flops over the last three or four years. Tielemans, Ricardo, Justin, Daka, Soumaré, Fofana, Iheanacho (eventually), Soyuncu and Maddison were all cracking bits of business. 

But then we hit a point in the window where we've signed our key targets for the future and we've still got to try and cover gaps in the squad with bargains, loans, free transfers and general horse trading and we're absolutely bollocks. 

Bertrand, Vestergaard, Ward (tad harsh but 14 fvcking million!), Praet, Ghezzal, Lookman, Under, Perez, Silva, Slimani, the list of underwhelming stretches on and on. 

I give Ward a free pass. I think the club were expecting Kasper to leave and did their due diligence in replacing him before he was gone.   It just never materialized.  I think we could easily sell him for about 7m now though after his euros

28 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I genuinely think vestergarde was signed to help us with corners... I don’t think they realised how bad the rest of his defending was. 

I think Brendan thought his system was fine. It was the personnel that weren’t doing their jobs properly. In fact he still does keep saying that, even this weekend it was “people aren’t doing their individual jobs” 

It’s impossible to get it right all the time so there will always be mistakes along the way. The issue with JV and Bennett was that they were panic signings - Bennett was signed in the hope that we would never need him and JV was signed when we had no alternative (after Fofana got injured). We’d also spent our transfer fund by that point too. 

If signings such as Lookman, Daka, Soumare etc regularly weren’t working out then I would worry. They are signings that have been tracked, monitored and thought through. I know the jury is out on some of the above from the summer window, but more often than not the well thought-through signings turn out well. 

6 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Rabiot would be a dream replacement for  Youri and now I’m fixated on the idea 

You can't actually be serious. The likes of Rabiot and Bernadeschi have become the laughing stock of a dysfunctional Juventus side. Both of them have regressed massively over the last years and us signing them would be akin to someone taking yet another punt on Theo Walcott or Jack Wilshere.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LFox99 said:

You can't actually be serious. The likes of Rabiot and Bernadeschi have become the laughing stock of a dysfunctional Juventus side. Both of them have regressed massively over the last years and us signing them would be akin to someone taking yet another punt on Theo Walcott or Jack Wilshere.

Sounds just like Everton should be signing them 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

Doubt it, he has never been great with corners or heading in general, but he can ping a ball out of defence, so suspect thats where he looked good in technical scouting.

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Doubt it, he has never been great with corners or heading in general, but he can ping a ball out of defence, so suspect thats where he looked good in technical scouting.

You dont think his 4 headed goals last season might have had an influence?

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

No

Well I don’t see how they couldn’t. 

someone who did well in an area we did so terribly. Corner conversion last year was as bad as defending them. 

I know we had previous interest, but I still feel we may have got ‘maguired’ 

3 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Well I don’t see how they couldn’t. 

someone who did well in an area we did so terribly. Corner conversion last year was as bad as defending them. 

I know we had previous interest, but I still feel we may have got ‘maguired’ 

I realise he is a stinker so far, but watching him ping balls from defence to wingers, it could be a serious weapon in our arsenal. I am sure all the data was analysed, and that would have been aware of the goals you mentioned, it just feels that people make the leap from tall to good with your head a bit too easily.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

I realise he is a stinker so far, but watching him ping balls from defence to wingers, it could be a serious weapon in our arsenal. I am sure all the data was analysed, and that would have been aware of the goals you mentioned, it just feels that people make the leap from tall to good with your head a bit too easily.

He obviously has some good qualities but he’s one of those players that isn’t suited to the premier league. Put him in a country where you get time on the ball and pace isn’t so vital ( Italy for example) and I’m sure he would look very good. 

You just don’t get away with being flat footed against premier league strikers. 

Im sure he would be good in a low block, but how often do we actually play one 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lambert09 said:

When they allow Brendan Rodgers to stick his big fat oar in the mix thinking he has an eye for a player and they take his advice. Perez, Bennett and now Vestergaard, he'll be selling Iheanacho next and re-signing Ballotelli! 😁. Think he must have chosen the defensive coach as well!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

When they allow Brendan Rodgers to stick his big fat oar in the mix thinking he has an eye for a player and they take his advice. Perez, Bennett and now Vestergaard, he'll be selling Iheanacho next and re-signing Ballotelli! 😁. Think he must have chosen the defensive coach as well!

You know this type of slander gets you jail time in some places  lol

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

You dont think his 4 headed goals last season might have had an influence?

First and foremost you should be buying a centre half for his prime function, his ability to defend. To be able to score the odd goal at the other end is mere icing on the cake. For such a big lad he doesn't seem very robust, can't jump and doesn't seem to be a very good header of the ball.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

I remember watching some of his highlight videos on brazil scout  from his time in Germany and he was much more commanding in the air. He actually got some height when he jumps compared to what we've seen so far where he tends to not get off the ground at all and often mistimes his jump. 

31 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

For such a big lad he doesn't seem very robust, can't jump and doesn't seem to be a very good header of the ball.

Got "January Leicester CB acquisition" written all over him!

(may God and Big Dan forgive me)

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, kiwiturk said:

A few players from Atalanta would be great ( Zapata, Ilicic) .

They are doing great jobs there.

A 30 yr old and a 33 yr old? Like to think we've dropped that sort of signing this season given Bertrand's failure to date. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

Bertrand on paper seemed a sensible signing given JJ was going to be out for sometime, Ricardo was having issues also & Fuchs leaving us short in the fullback positions.
I believe the plan was to cover Thomas give him guidance in the way Fuchs would have & allow the odd break but Bertrand actually played well in pre-season which maybe gave him the jump over Thomas for the 1st couple of games.
I actually remember thinking we have someone who can take a decent corner & free kick but alas it was just a show, not sure if the injury he then picked up affected him.
Rodgers has seen this now & is playing Thomas over him which again was the plan in the beginning, it was just the preseason games that made him think hang on. With JJ due to come back soon i don't expect him to feature much for the remainder of the season.
Vestergaard was just a panic we needed a CB with 1 week prior to start of the season as we only had Cags & Amartey, the call went out who is available & he was the 1st to say yes unfortunately.

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Wasn't it reported he only agreed to Liverpool signing Firmino if they also signed Benteke 

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, surrifox said:

worrying. 

as if this wasn't sufficiently underwhelming we've also  been linked in a couple of reports with el Younoussi - from that all conquering Southampton side of................

Brendan likes a signing from Southampton. He signed 4 from them for Liverpool and 2 for us so far.

• Sad 1