Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Europa Conference League Draw & General Chat

Embarrassed to be part of this, and the players should be too.

Actually hope we get a shit away tie to Tel Aviv or Qarabag, since that should be a wake-up call to the players that they've let us and themselves down. They did this to themselves by being shrinking violets in Warsaw, and forgetting the absolute basics of defending last night and throughout the group. That four goal haul for Daka is now absolutely god-damn meaningless to me since we failed in our basic objective to qualify from the group.

Am I entitled to think that anything less than winning this whole thing will be seen as an abject failure? Or are we just 'overacheiving' by being in Europe at all? 

Edited by OntarioFox
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

No interest at all in this crap. It's like having a plate competition in a kids' tournament. 

Might as well be the AUDI Cup. We're no better than Spuds if we have the lack of self-awareness to revel in winning it. If Europa is the League Cup of European competition, this is the Johnstone's Paint Trophy - a pointless cup nobody asked for, giving squads unnecessary extra game time to rub the two-inch egos of UEFA's money-spinners. 

The only small pleasure i'd get from it would be beating Spurs in the final to win it. That's it. It would be like beating them in the final of a pre-season Tournament.

'Little Clubs' in the Prem have been told for years to be grateful to even be in European competition, and for the Europa League I think a lot of us do appreciate it, in the same way we still do the FA Cup and League Cup. It's a shame most of our players seemingly don't. Being told to do the same for this is a far taller order though. Any club worth their salt should be embarrassed to be part of it, especially if they were dunked into it by failing in the league above. I hope they see this as a punishment.

Folks, yesterday we got relegated. Let's just make that clear. We have no divine right to win this, but for God's sake we SHOULDN'T be in it.

Can you tell I'm seething? It's a good thing we've got the Christmas booze in the house.

Rant over, bring on the two-four. :pearson:

Edited by OntarioFox

31 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Been scouting out all flights for this. Qarabag and Belgrade are the only 2 without direct flight, Randers you would fly into Copenhagen and Bodo might be a bit of a pain if you don’t like long train journeys.

Aarhus or Aalborg are better options for Randers. Bodo can be done with a stopover in Oslo (not too bad, about 6 hours including the wait at airport).

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Aarhus or Aalborg are better options for Randers. Bodo can be done with a stopover in Oslo (not too bad, about 6 hours including the wait at airport).

Checked Aarhus but nothing direct so flying into Copenhagen looked the easier, cheaper option to be fair.

Didnt check where the connect for Bodo was as the night trains over there are decent.

10 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

The Europa League I think a lot of us do appreciate it

Being told to do the same for this is a far taller order though.

Any club worth their salt should be embarrassed to be part of it, especially if they were dunked into it by failing in the league above

Folks, yesterday we got relegated. Let's just make that clear. We have no divine right to win this, but for God's sake we SHOULDN'T be in it.

That's it.

We're here because we came up woefully short of our potential and the level of our squad.

The conference league is a symbol of our terrible underachievement - and I reject any attempt to gaslight us into thinking Europa success would have been above our level.

Winning the Europa would have been a wonderful achievement yes, but not an overachievement.

If our squad was pulling together and inspired/coached to its potential then qualification from this group should have been straightforward. Nobody can conflate this with narrowly missing out on top 4 for the previous 2 seasons 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Overachieving means ‘do better than expected’.

When have you ‘expected’ Leicester to win the Europa League?

Overachieving to me means 'better than could reasonably be expected'

And by 'Europa success' I mean

* Qualification beyond the group stage and a fair crack at the knockouts

* Playing decent football, with our players performing in line with their talent and potential

It is not unreasonable to expect that a squad featuring players of the capabilities that we have, playing together to the level of their ability would win that group and have a good run in the knockout stage playing some decent football.

What we have is mistakes, poor passing, questionable leadership adding up to the sort of terrible performances that we could reasonably expect to be below us.

I'm not entitled. I'm not wearing magic glasses, and I don't hold delusions of deserving a regular place in the upper echelons - but what we've been served up this year has been a plate of cold shite compared to what we could reasonably achieve.

Edit: fair enough, I did say winning! Maybe that was a reach :D

Edited by Bourbon Fox
Talking angry nonsense
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Checked Aarhus but nothing direct so flying into Copenhagen looked the easier, cheaper option to be fair.

Didnt check where the connect for Bodo was as the night trains over there are decent.

18 hour train journey!!! Also much more expensive I think. Would be scenic.

Stansted to Aarhus (Ryanair) are direct. Other option is into Aalborg and return from Aarhus (think Thursday to Friday worked out better that way).

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Am I right in saying that means we can't draw Vitesse then? Because the draw is Monday and they won't know if Spurs are through by then.

I guess that will be the caveat in order to have the draw (unless they just go ahead and hope we don’t get pulled out with vitesse/Spurs) 

but then vitesse can’t draw PSV?   So then they have to make two combos that can’t go together ….. 

5 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Am I right in saying that means we can't draw Vitesse then? Because the draw is Monday and they won't know if Spurs are through by then.

Makes sense. 

Spurs only need to win (they have a better H2H over Vitesse I think?) so can see UEFA putting that contingency in. 

26 minutes ago, Bourbon Fox said:

Overachieving to me means 'better than could reasonably be expected'

And by 'Europa success' I mean

* Qualification beyond the group stage and a fair crack at the knockouts

* Playing decent football, with our players performing in line with their talent and potential

It is not unreasonable to expect that a squad featuring players of the capabilities that we have, playing together to the level of their ability would win that group and have a good run in the knockout stage playing some decent football.

What we have is mistakes, poor passing, questionable leadership adding up to the sort of terrible performances that we could reasonably expect to be below us.

I'm not entitled. I'm not wearing magic glasses, and I don't hold delusions of deserving a regular place in the upper echelons - but what we've been served up this year has been a plate of cold shite compared to what we could reasonably achieve.

Edit: fair enough, I did say winning! Maybe that was a reach :D

Yeah, that’s fair enough! I’d even say getting out of the group would just be expected rather than over-achieving to be fair. 

It wasn't that long ago when plenty on here and fans elsewhere were calling the Europa League Tin Pot and didn't want to be part of it.

What's more embarrassing being in this tin pot competition or losing to a tin pot team in it. 

• Like 2

As tin pot as it looks (don’t think it helps it’s the first ever season of this) I still think we should go all out to win it. We get Europa League if we do, and our domestic season is very likely over already. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

The debate about how seriously to take it is how will it affect our league games (you know, our current red hot scintillating blitzing of all we meet kind of form). If fatigue results in gaining 8-10 less points in the league would you want a run to say the semi-finals? On the other hand I feel we need the experience to arm us better for hopefully further Europa league seasons. If 2 or 3 injuries return and settle down we can manage a bit of rotation but before we plot a path to the final we need to get the basics right, defend set pieces and track runners whoever we play. Another indicator will be how the fans take to it in terms of attendance, this is no comment on anyone's commitment levels but travelling away and / or attending further home games, justifying the budget for something more prestigious than a friendly but less than the Europa League. Winning the thing has no precedent, it's a new tournament, but I think it would be a foundation stone for a club that want European Football every season and a learning experience particularly for the younger players.

Edited by fazzyfox