Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Europa Conference League Draw & General Chat

38 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

If you folks think we're going to have a proper go at a competition our manager didn't even know we were in until the press conference on Thursday night, you're in for an unpleasant surprise.

The cynic in me suspects Brendan thought we were out and finished with Europe for the season, and given how we've approached the EL group was quietly glad at that fact. Which sums up the mismanagement going on at the minute.

As I mentioned before, I hope the lads see this not as an opportunity, but as a punishment for our chronic underachievement this season.

Hopefully he won’t be in charge by the time this starts 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Israel - a PCR test when you arrive, quarantine when you arrive for 24 hours and/or result arrives. If you stay for over 72 hours, another PCR test when you leave. Any positive test is 14 days quarantine in Israel. Must be vaccinated or 14 days quarantine. There is a strict ban on travellers entering from abroad until mid December currently 

Swerve that then 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

Do you think Rodger's didn't know about the Europa Conference?

I reckon he just didn't know about the format and the media have taken what he said out of context. 

At least I hope that's what happened anyway.

Exactly this, did any of us know much about this competition apart from spurs being in it 

3 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

Seems Spurs are out of the competition then 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/12492472/tottenham-vs-rennes-europa-conference-league-game-will-not-be-rescheduled-and-referred-to-uefa-panel

Tottenham vs Rennes: Europa Conference League game will not be rescheduled and referred to UEFA panel

Europa Conference League match was called off on Thursday after eight players and five members of staff tested positive for Covid-19; Despite discussions regarding rescheduling the game, a suitable alternative date could not be found to re-arrange before UEFA's December 31 deadline.

The uefa committee may decide to set aside the 31 dec date to allow the game to be played in jan 

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The uefa committee may decide to set aside the 31 dec date to allow the game to be played in jan 

So they have rules in place but maybe prepared to bend them which will help Spurs to be the (only) beneficiaries.

Would UEFA do the same if it was Vitesse (or the likes of us) in the same predicament? Somehow I doubt it.

4 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

So they have rules in place but maybe prepared to bend them which will help Spurs to be the (only) beneficiaries.

Would UEFA do the same if it was Vitesse (or the likes of us) in the same predicament? Somehow I doubt it.

I presume Rennes will get a 3-0 win or they will just say a point each.

Spurs surely won’t get a win which is what they need to get through ?

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

I presume Rennes will get a 3-0 win or they will just say a point each.

Spurs surely won’t get a win which is what they need to get through ?

BBC Sport's Simon Stone

Both sides forfeiting the game or the match still going ahead are two of the possible scenarios in a complicated case.

Although Uefa has said the match cannot be played, its disciplinary body could set aside the 31 December deadline for the match to go ahead and the group stage to be completed.

There will also be an assessment of Spurs' decision to call the game off and whether Rennes should be more flexible in agreeing a rearranged date.

If Tottenham - as the team who were not able to play on Thursday - forfeit the game, they are out. The club are adamant they want to play the game on a rescheduled date.

If Rennes forfeit, while it has no effect on them as they are through as group winners, it would put Tottenham into the play-off and knock Vitesse out.

Vitesse have already stated their annoyance at having to play their final group game out of sync with Tottenham given both teams were trying to reach the next stage.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59620193

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Super_horns said:

So a draw would make sense then ?

Depends if either side forfeits the game which means the 3 points would be awarded to the opposition. Tottenham will not forfeit as they will be out. Rennes forfeiting would not make any difference to them but would send Spurs through which is very unfair on Vitesse.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BroughtonFox said:

It’s still another European competition that gives clubs outside the “big 6” a chance at playing in Europe more often. 

Technically doesn't as I think it's just reallocated the places England already gets rather than given any more.

I'd personally make it so that the top 10 leagues, maybe 5 if we're being pickier, can't enter this. We realistically should be a real contender here but I'd be lying if I said I fancied us - can see us going out next round actually.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 20:00, Paninistickers said:

So if we draw celtic in the last 16, you'd have no interest? You'd love it. So would I.

Thinking about it I’d probably go, just still annoyed we have been so poor this season. Id

still say though, if we are anywhere near the relegation zone in February we will not be playing our first team. On other topics too many people have dismissed relegation, we have arguably the worst defence in the league, if that’s not sorted in the new year we will in a possible scrap and this team has not shown they can handle pressure. 

Just now, tickler28 said:

That Vitesse/Spurs thing is a bit of a mess. So could we have a potential two way draw based on both scenarios