Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Europa Conference League Draw & General Chat

The great thing about 2 legs is you get the chance to try out the fringe players in the first game.  There’s always the risk playing lower league opposition in say the fa cup that your fringe players roll over (Newport) but this gives us the chance to pick a team that should win (while resting players) and if they don’t do the business we get that home game where we take it a little more seriously. 

This might be the only game left that we can get away with a reserve squad. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

The great thing about 2 legs is you get the chance to try out the fringe players in the first game.  There’s always the risk playing lower league opposition in say the fa cup that your fringe players roll over (Newport) but this gives us the chance to pick a team that should win (while resting players) and if they don’t do the business we get that home game where we take it a little more seriously. 

The home game is first up.

Similar scenario though. Hope we can get a comfortable result like yesterday in the first leg so we can give opportunities to Mcateer, Nelson etc in Denmark. Always tricky in any two-legged knockout though, as unless its a really comfortable scoreline you cant take anything for granted, especially away. We lost to Legia with a reasonably strong line-up, so I don't think we'd just send out the reserves at any stage (unless there's an internal decision not to bother with the ECL...)

1 hour ago, enmac said:

https://www.vejleboldklub.dk/klubben/om-seniorklubben/referater-fra-2017/

"Kaj Kohave welcomed the approx. 50 members present. There was a special welcome to Peter Netuka who was this month's speaker.   

The meeting began with a short memorial speech, where Kaj Kohave told about his collaboration with Ejgil Jensen for 10 years. Kaj also touched on Ejgil's human qualities and also that Ejgil was a co - founder of the Senior Club in 1992. The memorial speech ended with a minute of silence.  

The word was then passed on to Peter Netuka who is the son of VB´'s former coach Ernst Netuka. (born in 1928 - died in 1995). Peter told in an exciting way about how his father, who was born in Vienna in 1928, became interested in football and the coaching job. Peter also talked about how his father had fled from the Russians during their entry into Vienna, by jumping in the Danube. He could also tell that Ernst was for a period employed as a part-time lifeguard in Leicester where he saved 3 boys from drowning and on that occasion received a medal from the mayor. 

In total, Ernst coached 10 Danish clubs - AIA, VB, Hvidovre, Esbjerg, AB, Horsens, Kolding, Randers, Aabenraa and Vejen - and was for a period also national coach for the Danish national football team. Ernst was also named coach of the year in Denmark in 1981 and 1985. 

The lecture was spiced up by Peter's own experiences and not least anecdotes that he had been told by his father. Many of the  members present could nod in recognition of the many stories / anecdotes.

Thanks to Peter for an exciting story about a great personality - Ernst Netuka."

Yep. Being chased by an angry Russian army definitely hones your breaststroke lol

Rather lucky for those Leicester kids.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

But the first leg is at home.

While it makes sense to try and kill the tie there, I hope we play Ward at the KP and start Kasper in Denmark.

He’s surely a national sporting hero?  That tiny club made it this far, they deserve to see him in Randers.  They’ll talk about it for years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

When I looked straight after the draw, return was around £48.

Same flights now at £258

They will come down when the traffic subsided. Flights to Napoli were as high as £100 after UEFA confirmed away fans allowed but three weeks before the game they were £15. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, KingsX said:

But the first leg is at home.

While it makes sense to try and kill the tie there, I hope we play Ward at the KP and start Kasper in Denmark.

He’s surely a national sporting hero?  That tiny club made it this far, they deserve to see him in Randers.  They’ll talk about it for years.

Does that extend to vestergaard! 

I'll probably be up for it nearer the time, and absolutely no disrespect intended to Randers and the rest of the teams but I just couldn't get up for the draw.

I really thought we'd do well in the Europa League this season. What a letdown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foxinsox said:

Looking at the match ups, this is quite a tasty contest. There are some decent sides there. Slavia Prague again I see..

https://amp.marca.com/en/football/international-football/2021/12/13/61b762ba268e3e5c218b45bc.html

I think the club is downplaying the ECL right now, and rightfully so: We should have gotten out our group and there is a bitter taste about it all.

But come Feb? We beat a mid-table Danish league team, and teams like Roma, PSV, Fayenoord, Copenhagen, and even Celtic are left in the draw.

Frankly, we haven't earned the right to turn our noses at any European nights, so I look forward to it. Added bonus is they might be early enough to take the kids.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I think the club is downplaying the ECL right now, and rightfully so: We should have gotten out our group and there is a bitter taste about it all.

But come Feb? We beat a mid-table Danish league team, and teams like Roma, PSV, Fayenoord, Copenhagen, and even Celtic are left in the draw.

Frankly, we haven't earned the right to turn our noses at any European nights, so I look forward to it. Added bonus is they might be early enough to take the kids.

Final in Albania in May. Always wanted an excuse to go, but this is not a mickey mouse contest in terms of competition. Easy to go out because of hubris and not taking it seriously.

16 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They will come down when the traffic subsided. Flights to Napoli were as high as £100 after UEFA confirmed away fans allowed but three weeks before the game they were £15. 

Agreed. You are better just holding off now until prices come down again. Ryanair may even have some new year deals or something.

The good thing here is that you have 4 airports to choose from which are all within an easy train journey. Aalborg, Aarhus being the close ones, Billund not too far away and Copenhagen the furthest but still just a 4 hour train journey.