Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Europa Conference League Draw & General Chat

4 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Mourinho will never take it seriously until the semifinals. I think we would do better to meet them in the R16 than later.

Don’t think so. Jose knows us well, we were responsible for him losing the chelsea job. He would know he needs to pick a strong team against us. 

He will be desperate for another trophy 

5 hours ago, Super_horns said:

I don't see how the Court of Arbitration can force Rennes to play in their winter break, or find a hole in their schedule for the game. Surely, the most Tottenham could hope for is financial compensation from UEFA.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't see how we win this under Rodgers, our injury problems aren't going away anytime soon/if ever under him and his record in Europe is a disgrace.

Sadly I fear the same, but hopefully our quality in playes can see us through. It may be the last European tie for a few years hence my urge to attend (away from home).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't see how we win this under Rodgers, our injury problems aren't going away anytime soon/if ever under him and his record in Europe is a disgrace.

Even with injuries we should get past Randers FC, round of 32 isn't until 10th March so the chance of the likes of bring Fofana and Justin back.

40 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Even with injuries we should get past Randers FC, round of 32 isn't until 10th March so the chance of the likes of bring Fofana and Justin back.

Yes I think we'll get through a few more rounds but I've long stopped predicting how our side will look when x and y are back because as has consistently been shown over the past 2 years, we will continue to pick up other injuries relentlessly. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I think if we draw Rennes, Marseille or Roma we're out. Plenty of other sides I wouldn't be that confident of beating either.

Rodgers European record really is dreadful, especially away

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/brendan-rodgers/leistungsdatenDetail/trainer/1366/wettbewerb_id/EL

I think we have a shot ... It won't be a cakewalk at all, but most of the other "good" teams currently have other avenues to Europe (and most, bar Roma, Champions League) through their league standings, so should take it less seriously than we should be taking it.

Rodgers record in Europe is atrocious, true, but his Celtic campaigns involved a Celtic budget: For the most part, he beat who he shoulda beat and lost to who he shoulda lost. The less said about his Champions League record -- with both Liverpool and Celtic -- the better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

We’re a cheerful bunch, aren’t we.

We had an atrocious FA Cup record, but that’s been put to bed. We’ve got a decent chance, let’s try and be positive. 

We ought to be in with a major shout of this....I never shared the hubristic optimism for a europa league win, but this is on. 

Only major hurdles are self inflicted; player injuries and the weirdos at the club ticket office acting as gleeful ticket bouncers

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BoyJones said:

We’re a cheerful bunch, aren’t we.

We had an atrocious FA Cup record, but that’s been put to bed. We’ve got a decent chance, let’s try and be positive. 

The FA cup record was under a lot of different managers, Rodgers' European record is obviously much more distinguishable as his problem. Pretty much every stereotypical difficult place to go in Europe, i.e loud, cold or hostile Rodgers has lost or drew - even with much better teams than the opposition.

We've seen how we've wilted away at Legia, Zorya (away from their own stadium!), Slavia and Naples. We looked nervy at a loud Villa Park ffs.

Rodgers has a bit of mentality problem, I think he's quite similar to Guardiola in that he approaches big games in Europe differently to the way he does in the league whereas more conviction in what usually works for their teams obviously makes more sense.

To his credit, he does take the cups seriously but I just don't have much faith in him to lead us to success in the ECL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

The FA cup record was under a lot of different managers, Rodgers' European record is obviously much more distinguishable as his problem. Pretty much every stereotypical difficult place to go in Europe, i.e loud, cold or hostile Rodgers has lost or drew - even with much better teams than the opposition.

We've seen how we've wilted away at Legia, Zorya (away from their own stadium!), Slavia and Naples. We looked nervy at a loud Villa Park ffs.

Rodgers has a bit of mentality problem, I think he's quite similar to Guardiola in that he approaches big games in Europe differently to the way he does in the league whereas more conviction in what usually works for their teams obviously makes more sense.

To his credit, he does take the cups seriously but I just don't have much faith in him to lead us to success in the ECL.

I think this bit is bang on.

1) I think they both make too much of a fact that a game is a european fixture - it might have been a big deal 40 years ago, but it's really not the major difference that they make out. 

2) They tend to overthink and end up outwitting themselves. A great example of pep was that game against Lyon (I think) where he changed shape to match them up.

• Like 1