Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Europa Conference League Draw & General Chat

26 minutes ago, Phoxy said:

Hello everybody nice to meet you I have a lot of respect for Leicester city and i'm a fan of PSV. I think Leicester is a great club with great players like the speedy Jaimy Vardy who came from far to reach the impossible and even won the legendary Premiership a couple of seasons ago. 

I'm looking forward to these games and I think its a very difficult but beautiful oppertunity for us. I hear the season isn't going to great with ranked 12th  but I think the Premiership is the most difficult and competitive league to play in since not only just a few clubs have enormous budgets. It's a prestigious competition where we look up to.

Nonetheless it's hard to say who makes the most chance but as a fellow soccer fan I want to wish you all the best, good luck and may the best win, Phoxy

:welcome:

Welcome, Phoxy. Like the name, nice play on the spelling. However, point of order if you plan to stick around, the Premiership is in Scotland (and Rugby, I think) and you won't find many soccer fans here ( although I think they might have some in Leeds) :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, honeybradger said:

It's better that we play the best teams in the competition because then if we lose it doesn't feel like a slip up and if we win the victory feels all the more sweeter

Rather lose to PSV than Slavia Prague. At least PSV is a big club with European pedigree. Losing to Slavia felt like losing to lower league teams in the Cup. 

5 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

My understanding -- and I could be wrong -- is that no country can have more than seven teams in Europe. Is that right?

So if -- no jinxes -- we win this; West Ham win Europa League, and, let's say Palace (or any of the other not Big 6 teams) win the FA Cup, I think that would mean Top 4+ West Ham would be in Champions League and Palace and us in Europa League, and no English team in the Conference League. I think.

Hmm. Been thinking about this too. Surely the league cup also qualifies for europa usually. Ok so this year (like most tbf) it was won by a top 4 side. But in your scenario, if it had been won by say Southampton what happens then. Do the cups take precedent over league position? If so then 4th place doesn’t qualify for any European competition at all, and league cup winners would go into conference.

its an unlikely scenario but not impossible. I seem to have it my head that ultimately European places are “sponsored” by the FA, so pretty sure they would fix it so one of the favoured, assuming they finished fourth, would get the place over one of the cups. 

12 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Hmm. Been thinking about this too. Surely the league cup also qualifies for europa usually. Ok so this year (like most tbf) it was won by a top 4 side. But in your scenario, if it had been won by say Southampton what happens then. Do the cups take precedent over league position? If so then 4th place doesn’t qualify for any European competition at all, and league cup winners would go into conference.

its an unlikely scenario but not impossible. I seem to have it my head that ultimately European places are “sponsored” by the FA, so pretty sure they would fix it so one of the favoured, assuming they finished fourth, would get the place over one of the cups. 

My understanding is that for our "coefficient" it is Top 4 go to Champions League, 5th place goes to Europa League, and 6th place goes to conference. However, the FA has arranged for League Cup winner to be substituted for the 6th place team. (A similar arrangement had been in place for France before their LC ended.) FA Cup gets into Europa League automatically, since all Cup winners enter that competition ever since the demise of the Cup Winners Cup. 

However, UEFA guarantees the European winners spots in the next years competition (CL for CL and EL winners, EL for conference winners).

But a country can only have 7 teams in Europe and 5 teams in CL. If an English CL or EL winner is not top 4, then there will be 5 CL teams, but only 2 teams in the lower comps. However, if there is an English CL and EL winner and neither is Top 4, then they get CL, and 4th place drops to Europa League. 

But if, let's say three English teams sweep the European competitions, but none of them are in the top seven in the league, and neither is the FA Cup or League Cup Winner, the European spaces would be:

Champions League: CL winner, EL winner, 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place (5)

Europa League; FA cup winner, Conference League winner (2)

Conference League: No one

Those finishing 4th through 7th wouldn't get Europe, and since in UEFA's eyes, the League Cup winner is just substituting for the 6th place team, they wouldn't be in Europe either.

This scenario is highly unlikely, but this year it is possible that the 6th and 7th place team miss out on Europe next year, and if we win Conference League, it would certainly knock out the 7th place team (currently Spurs)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PSV said:

Hi all, 

Another PSV supporter here. Looking forward to the game. Was hoping to Duck Leicester and get PAOK instead. Will be great games to look forward to. Good Luck to you all. If you got any questions about oir squad or Feyenoord for example feel free to ask.

Hi PSV

Welcome to the foxes forum, do you think you sell all tickets for this fixture? 

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

Welcome friend.

I have a soft spot for PSV dating back to the early eighties. We did a school exchange trip back then and I spent a week with a Dutch kid (Raymond was his name!) and he spent a week with us in England.

Raymond's team was PSV so I 'adopted' them as my Dutch team and I've followed them from a distance ever since. 

Happy days in Holland and the first time I was introduced to mayonnaise on chips. I've never looked back since :D

I also jave a bit of a soft spot for them during to a few good saves on CM00-01. They were one of my go to teams. 

Bouma, Ooijer, Van Bommel, Bruggink, De Jong, Kezman, Rommedahl... Great squad. 

• Like 2

In a way, given the poor form we have been in, we are lucky to have gone into this Europa Conference League. Otherwise, like Napoli, we would have gone out already at Barca (though that would have been a dream match) or someone else in the earlier round. And with the teams left in the Conference League, we still get proper European football with Rennes and now PSV. 

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Phoxy said:

@Ric Flair 

Thanks everybody for  the warm welcome!

Quoting alot posts at the same time would make my post even more bigger then it already is. But I agree Madueke, Sangare and Gakpo have lot of potential. The fans like them alot. We were lucky to contract Noni Madueke a few years ago, he is quite young and known for bringing a lot of energy and passion in his dribble actions. Many time his style on the wing seems like getting pass an opponent with technique, bravery and  delivering the  ball to one of the attackers afterwards.  He can be very explosive and unpredictable but also to adventerous or playfull which can  lead to losing the ball. If I'm right I remember him saying something like he likes to play on intuition and just go for it instead of thinking to much.  

His teammate Doan on the other hand is known to be less speedy but better at maintaining controle, possession and passing. That might be the reason Doan started over him against Kopenhagen the other day.. 

Sangare is a midfielder who isn't that great with a ball but does have his moments like giving a nice pass. His strength, working habits and interceptions are of good skill but when he is not himself he surprises everybody by just giving the ball foolishly away to an opponent. This season he is alot more reliable and has less of those moments but last weeks people say he looks a bit tired. Luckily yesterday it seemed to be a bit better again. 

Gakpo is also young but a little more experienced and might be the best there is. He is a smart guy who improved a lot so that he scores more goals and gives more assists then other seasons. He  tries to cut inside and is good at shooting but is also incredibly fast (a sprint of him was one of the fastest in the Euro cup for country's at the time during last summer if I'm not mistaken.)

I'm not quite sure but I get the feeling the team is getting more and more team spirit which I think partly comes from the fact that I think Schmidt never looses players out of sight. Like Guti who was basically out of the radar but worked his way back and got another fair chance. I think the players might remember that and do the best they can to make the most out of it. @foxes96 

While a lot of people see the KNVB cup  as just a little cup. Schmidt stated something like it's still a serious prize to win. I think Schmidt can't stand loosing, as an example he has a little history of arguing the referees very passionately. Therefore I think he would likely not choose one competition over the other. 

I for myself would must say it is a great opportunity to try and get among the best of the Conference League, to write history in this very first edition. Maybe Leicester, Marseille, Roma and PSV are because of their budgets and/or form maybe the best in the competition. 

As for the Eredivisie we still have a  chance to win it because Ajax has a lot of difficulty with any team lately and PSV seems to be getting more consistent and also comfortable with the tactics and formation of the @Spudulike

My mistake sorry. It was a long time a ago they called it the Premiership? I find the term "football" also more suited. But sometimes I get confused  since English is not my native language and some people prefer soccer over football and vice versa. 

As for my forum name, that would be to much honour since it is just the name of the PSV mascotte Phoxy ;)

8 hours ago, PSV said:

Hi all, 

Another PSV supporter here. Looking forward to the game. Was hoping to Duck Leicester and get PAOK instead. Will be great games to look forward to. Good Luck to you all. If you got any questions about oir squad or Feyenoord for example feel free to ask.

Welcome!

As someone in their 30s I loved the PSV teams of the late 90s/early 00s and your regular champions league appearances. 1999/2000 was my favorite, Lus Nilis and the coming of age of van Nistelrooy, van Bommel and a young Denis Rommedahl. I even had the shirt below that I wore loads when having a kick about with my mates. An all time classic and probably my favourite shirt I had for a team I didnt support:

images.jpeg.jpg.89a64f17c65e1372ddf7f0f1f3916440.jpg

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Phoxy said:

@Ric Flair 

Thanks everybody for  the warm welcome!

Quoting alot posts at the same time would make my post even more bigger then it already is. But I agree Madueke, Sangare and Gakpo have lot of potential. The fans like them alot. We were lucky to contract Noni Madueke a few years ago, he is quite young and known for bringing a lot of energy and passion in his dribble actions. Many time his style on the wing seems like getting pass an opponent with technique, bravery and  delivering the  ball to one of the attackers afterwards.  He can be very explosive and unpredictable but also to adventerous or playfull which can  lead to losing the ball. If I'm right I remember him saying something like he likes to play on intuition and just go for it instead of thinking to much.  

His teammate Doan on the other hand is known to be less speedy but better at maintaining controle, possession and passing. That might be the reason Doan started over him against Kopenhagen the other day.. 

Sangare is a midfielder who isn't that great with a ball but does have his moments like giving a nice pass. His strength, working habits and interceptions are of good skill but when he is not himself he surprises everybody by just giving the ball foolishly away to an opponent. This season he is alot more reliable and has less of those moments but last weeks people say he looks a bit tired. Luckily yesterday it seemed to be a bit better again. 

Gakpo is also young but a little more experienced and might be the best there is. He is a smart guy who improved a lot so that he scores more goals and gives more assists then other seasons. He  tries to cut inside and is good at shooting but is also incredibly fast (a sprint of him was one of the fastest in the Euro cup for country's at the time during last summer if I'm not mistaken.)

I'm not quite sure but I get the feeling the team is getting more and more team spirit which I think partly comes from the fact that I think Schmidt never looses players out of sight. Like Guti who was basically out of the radar but worked his way back and got another fair chance. I think the players might remember that and do the best they can to make the most out of it. @foxes96 

While a lot of people see the KNVB cup  as just a little cup. Schmidt stated something like it's still a serious prize to win. I think Schmidt can't stand loosing, as an example he has a little history of arguing the referees very passionately. Therefore I think he would likely not choose one competition over the other. 

I for myself would must say it is a great opportunity to try and get among the best of the Conference League, to write history in this very first edition. Maybe Leicester, Marseille, Roma and PSV are because of their budgets and/or form maybe the best in the competition. 

As for the Eredivisie we still have a  chance to win it because Ajax has a lot of difficulty with any team lately and PSV seems to be getting more consistent and also comfortable with the tactics and formation of the @Spudulike

My mistake sorry. It was a long time a ago they called it the Premiership? I find the term "football" also more suited. But sometimes I get confused  since English is not my native language and some people prefer soccer over football and vice versa. 

As for my forum name, that would be to much honour since it is just the name of the PSV mascotte Phoxy ;)

...the more you speak, the more you sound like you are describing our own players!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Phoxy said:

Brilliant team. Most of them were internationals and great winners.

I don't know about that game but De Jong was a bit of a tactical player by example; Van Bommel made fame and went to Bayern and played amongst the best  for years. Ooijer was a solid and hard defender and Rommedahl was known for his terrific speed and the amount of assists he made. 

Oh yeah and him....for me it is a little miracle that Kezman (three times topscorer of the Dutch league) didn't seem to set grounds outside Eindhoven or The Champions league. 

This man was a goalscoring predator, nearly capable of getting the leather in the back of the net from large distance while the projectile on its way got through a space so small similar to that of the eye of a sewing needle; the ball was almost out of air because Kezman cut it so rapidly that 2 defenders left stumbled; wandering how their laces where tied together and asking what damaged the ball.

Back to real: when he scored it was a party in the stadium because they let the Batman tune go throughout the speakers and depicted the Batman sign on the screens. The stadium is very nice by the way it's one of the few stadiums that is still in the centre of the city. 

I agree and that's a great way of looking at it. Maybe it's something like 55-45 with the odds on the side of Leicester?

Feyenoord is traditionally a big club in the Netherlands with a large and loyal fan base that is often called Het Legioen (The Legion).

Somewhere in the zeros their two top strikers left the club at the same summer. They couldn't fill the gap that Kalou and Kuyt left; they contracted players that where over their peak; results were bad and they where struggling with finances ever since.

For PSV and Ajax it ment another successful period where they would dominate the league. 

Nowadays Feyenoord is getting on their feet again and because their market value is increasing I think there's a good chance PSV, Ajax and Feyenoord will represent the top three teams in the league for the next coming years. 

This season Feyenoord is currently number 3 in the standings with 6 points behind PSV which is not bad.  

They have their good periods but they tend to wind up struggling each time. 

Like lately they couldn't past Groningen and I saw them almost lose points against PEC Zwolle (nr. 18).

PSV on the other hand, seems to get more stabilized in the last weeks. Therefore I think Feyenoord is an easier opponent at the moment. 

I think we could even be ranked 1th because in the latest top match between PSV and Ajax people thought of a big mistake by the referees that resulted into victory for Ajax. Many people say Daley Blind didn't kept the ball in from the sideline in the run up to their winning goal so it should have stayed 1-1. But after all its football and PSV should have played a better match. Nonetheless it's not pity but we still have a chance to make it up. 

This brings back memories. Im a bit jealous because I always wanted that shirt! ;) I used to have the away shirt they wore just a season earlier and same here, I also loved to wear it when I was playing soccer.

Sir Bobby Robson was our trainer back then. Van Nistelrooy broke record after record in the Premier league and I loved his connection with Nillis as a duo of fearsome strikers. Nillis was a very estethic soccer player who left PSV when he wasn't that young anymore. He signed Villa and played only a few matches because a broken leg made an end to his career. People remember him as a beautiful player and Ronaldo even stated that he was the best striker he ever played with. 

ec4efa9a09223ed92db188eca64b7b47.thumb.jpg.08fd8ebc51e5c3013dfb4fc03513d703.jpg

Maybe after all these years I should try and this shirt anyway. As a kid I used to save money to buy soccer shirts and I still have a lot of them left in old boxes. 

Arne Slot is going to be a very good manager. Have you been linked with anyone yet to replace Schmidt when he leaves in the summer?

• Like 1

I've just had an idle sat afternoon look at the wiki page for the last cup winners'cup back in 1999. This tournament is absolutely light years ahead of the last 8 back then. Varteks, Panionis, Maccabi Haifa, Mallorca are there. 

I thought from the off the concept of uefa was really really well structured. The reduced numbers in the Europa League has looked a super strong tournament all season.  The conference gives 'little clubs' group game football and still shaped to get the likes of great heritage clubs such as PAOK, Feyenoord, Slavia etc (usually all bummed out at CL or EL last 16 at best) to realistically win a trophy. 

I can't say enough good things about the design of the UEFA club competitions. The only mild improvement they could've made would've been to re purpose the old CWC trophy and lifting it lends the winners some nice history 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stretch1965 said:

Hi PSV

Welcome to the foxes forum, do you think you sell all tickets for this fixture? 

Yeah, poeple look forward to this match. It will be sold out for sure. We are in a good form and already won the Johan Cruijff schaal in the beginning of the season by beating Ajax in Amsterdam with 4-0. (Also lost to Them later in the season with 5-0) Because our form now we can win 4 prizes this season everyone is excited.

12 hours ago, Nalis said:

Welcome!

As someone in their 30s I loved the PSV teams of the late 90s/early 00s and your regular champions league appearances. 1999/2000 was my favorite, Lus Nilis and the coming of age of van Nistelrooy, van Bommel and a young Denis Rommedahl. I even had the shirt below that I wore loads when having a kick about with my mates. An all time classic and probably my favourite shirt I had for a team I didnt support:

images.jpeg.jpg.89a64f17c65e1372ddf7f0f1f3916440.jpg

Yeah we have had many great players in the past. But we arent as good as we where back then. The shirt is a beauty like all the oldies when i see Them again after so many years. Brings back good memories especially 04/05 we should have won the champions League that year.

• Like 1