Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Europa Conference League Draw & General Chat

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Honestly, I don't. I think the design/algorithm of the 3 tier format is brilliant. 

Everyone finds their level. Small countries for a tilt at at group football (in the case of like a st johnstone) and mid level countries/teams for a tilt at a trophy

Replying to my own post (poor etiquette) and going wildly off piste, but I've always thought the rugby World Cup should do similar and have a 'shield' for the third placed group teams and the likes of Fiji, Canada, Georgia etc scrap it out for a trophy

• Like 2

I do know what you mean Ric and half of me agrees, but the cynical half in me looks at and thinks it is just another way of keeping up the coefficients of some teams whilst trying to ensure others don't improve.

I know of (albeit amateur) sports where teams losing in the first round of the "cup" go into the "plate" - and that's fine. What doesn't happen is that teams who are subsequently knocked out of the cup, then go into an even later stage of the "plate" this giving them yet another bite at a cherry.

I won't continue the analogy by referencing "saucers" as well 🤣 but you'll get the drift.

1 hour ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

I do know what you mean Ric and half of me agrees, but the cynical half in me looks at and thinks it is just another way of keeping up the coefficients of some teams whilst trying to ensure others don't improve.

I know of (albeit amateur) sports where teams losing in the first round of the "cup" go into the "plate" - and that's fine. What doesn't happen is that teams who are subsequently knocked out of the cup, then go into an even later stage of the "plate" this giving them yet another bite at a cherry.

I won't continue the analogy by referencing "saucers" as well 🤣 but you'll get the drift.

Cup, plate, shield ... easy peasy

6 hours ago, Koke said:

This competition has the potential to be quite good. A lot of historically big clubs taking it seriously. But they need to change the name. Conference league is a terrible name. 

If they called it the Uefa European super league they would really rustle some feathers. I’m all in on that 

Edited by Lambert09

9 hours ago, Stinky said:

What happens if the ELC winners qualify for the champions league through their league? Where does the automatic EL spot go? 

Don't go down that road.

So many different formulas of what if this or that happened it'll just drive you crazy.

For example, try this one out, what if Man Utd won the champions league, West Ham won the Europa League, Leicester won the conference league, Palace won the FA cup but none finished in the top 6, does that mean 3rd place gets Europa League and 4th gets Confernce?

Just a headache.

13 hours ago, Koke said:

This competition has the potential to be quite good. A lot of historically big clubs taking it seriously. But they need to change the name. Conference league is a terrible name. 

Only because the "conference" is the name of a lower this in this country. That's not the case for the rest of Europe and they shouldn't be changing it just for us.

• Like 1