Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Europa Conference League Draw & General Chat

3 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/14/sports/soccer/europa-conference-league.html

The competition has proved to be a success. Obviously we're now slightly biased but we're not alone. 

I liken it to the old Cup Winners Cup back in the 90s. That wasn't quite as prestigious as the old UEFA cup but was still a worthwhile third tournament which teams took seriously. I thought it was a crap idea at first but I was wrong.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

I liken it to the old Cup Winners Cup back in the 90s. That wasn't quite as prestigious as the old UEFA cup but was still a worthwhile third tournament which teams took seriously. I thought it was a crap idea at first but I was wrong.

I think it was Marrieda yesterday that explained why this competition was a success based on the algorithm. Smaller teams managed to build a better coefficient for their country in early stages of the cup but inevitably went out when the bigger teams started to drop out from Champions League and Europa League. Some teams with zero quality in overall like PAOK managed to get to the quarter finals as they got lucky with draws. Ofc after they reached that stage the passion and excitement of players and fans gave them a boost to put a good fight against Marseille. 

The same applies in general to Villareal. They're not the best team out there but confidence, ambition and passion can turn even a decent/mediocre team to something special. 

42 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

I think there has been a little bit of English snobbery about the competition. 

You only have to look at the reaction of the Rennes and PSV fans that team want to win this across Europe. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tielemans63 said:

I think this is a good comparison. The old cup was certainly worth having.  The 3 other teams left plus of course our last opponents have a very good euro record so not as if full of nobodies no one cares about. 

20 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I'm loving it. And there is definitely room for 3 European club competitions. But it still doesn't sit easily with me that we're in this competition after being shat out of the Europa League. I don't think that's right (but I won't complain if we win itlol).

I've always felt the same regarding the CL drop outs and the Europa League. If you don't get through the group you should be out. 

Obviously, happy to going into the ECL given our current situation but in general I don't agree with it either. 

Quite like the trophy and would definitely like it in our cabinet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

I've always felt the same regarding the CL drop outs and the Europa League. If you don't get through the group you should be out. 

Obviously, happy to going into the ECL given our current situation but in general I don't agree with it either. 

Quite like the trophy and would definitely like it in our cabinet. 

I am not a fan of the drop downs, but you play by the rules of the competition ... and there have always been drop downs in the preliminary rounds of Champions League, so there's that.

• Like 1

Guest David Oldfields Gate

By definition if competitions are deemed silly because there are teams in it that got chucked out of elsewhere then the whole League pyramid is also a joke.

I'm quite happy with the competition, in fact I think it's ace.

15 hours ago, MS0204 said:

Just out of interest has anyone booked Tirana hotels/flights? The final definitely has been confirmed there as talk of it being moved.. 

Yep , I have booked flights and hotel, hotel I'm able to cancel but would only take a 50 quid hit on flight if we don't make it.  If we do then flight would jump in price by quite a bit . 

On 15/04/2022 at 14:19, coolhandfox said:

I think there has been a little bit of English snobbery about the competition. 

You only have to look at the reaction of the Rennes and PSV fans that team want to win this across Europe. 

To show Why the English opinion should Never count...We never Believed in the World cup, seems we still dont...European clubs usually back their

International sides...Any skillfull,Winger or techie, would Never get picked internationally.

If Messi,Ronaldo, Pele,Gerson were English they wouldnt of seen an English shirt...

The English fan, didnt rate European competitions. Outside L'pool no English Club  has had long successful Associations with any European competition.

This very naive, & blind forum, still Thinks we should Beat automatically  the average Teams with 12-20+ years Experience in Qualifying for europe..I

Wars we can win, our military go well beyond,even today,no thanks to Civilian management...

But Joe blogs..in any major Civil Rumble with Continental Counterparts or police, we get an hiding.we even lose at being friendly...

We have Great Engineers & technicians ,Plus Medical staff, but without the Queen past endeavours (and shes German) & Contracts signed on the old Brittania,

our modern Bosses & Politicians without the odd Gunship diplomacy, have ......

gave away,Sold out, or lost out  on all major modern projects and if we so win  a Part of some Action, we have to Work it with Zero-hour contracts...

..I mean ffs we cant even produce our own Passports, if you wave down a Red bus, or a black cab, They have come over on a Japanese Ship from

Egyptian or Chinese containers of the manafacture..

Even the Weather aint ours, But we get the blame for it...oh yes There is One thing we are still great at, blaming everybody else...

Though to be fair we can all laugh about it... :frantics:..No, no hold on, our canned Laughter is imported...

We are brilliant & sell World Wide the stage, the props, musicals,comedy,drama, and the whole Theater production...

but if you so Really  think about it

Where else would our leaders,descision-makers, and Politicians collect,Copy  & gather their Experience....

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

To show Why the English opinion should Never count...We never Believed in the World cup, seems we still dont...European clubs usually back their

International sides...Any skillfull,Winger or techie, would Never get picked internationally.

If Messi,Ronaldo, Pele,Gerson were English they wouldnt of seen an English shirt...

The English fan, didnt rate European competitions. Outside L'pool no English Club  has had long successful Associations with any European competition.

This very naive, & blind forum, still Thinks we should Beat automatically  the average Teams with 12-20+ years Experience in Qualifying for europe..I

Wars we can win, our military go well beyond,even today,no thanks to Civilian management...

But Joe blogs..in any major Civil Rumble with Continental Counterparts or police, we get an hiding.we even lose at being friendly...

We have Great Engineers & technicians ,Plus Medical staff, but without the Queen past endeavours (and shes German) & Contracts signed on the old Brittania,

our modern Bosses & Politicians without the odd Gunship diplomacy, have ......

gave away,Sold out, or lost out  on all major modern projects and if we so win  a Part of some Action, we have to Work it with Zero-hour contracts...

..I mean ffs we cant even produce our own Passports, if you wave down a Red bus, or a black cab, They have come over on a Japanese Ship from

Egyptian or Chinese containers of the manafacture..

Even the Weather aint ours, But we get the blame for it...oh yes There is One thing we are still great at, blaming everybody else...

Though to be fair we can all laugh about it... :frantics:..No, no hold on, our canned Laughter is imported...

We are brilliant & sell World Wide the stage, the props, musicals,comedy,drama, and the whole Theater production...

but if you so Really  think about it

Where else would our leaders,descision-makers, and Politicians collect,Copy  & gather their Experience....

I always love reading your posts

10 hours ago, body102 said:

Yep , I have booked flights and hotel, hotel I'm able to cancel but would only take a 50 quid hit on flight if we don't make it.  If we do then flight would jump in price by quite a bit . 

Seems to be very limited times of the day to book, usually late evening.. when you look at hotel check in times between 2 and 00.00 but the flights land at 1am :) i take it it’s a taxi ride to the centre in them sort of hours.. was surprised at how cheap accommodation is actually.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

It reminds me of when I was a kid on holiday, me and my brother would always try and have a conversation under water. I couldn’t understand a word but it was funny.

Ahhh Bubbling hysterics...

Best Proof of insanity, laughing away at things One doesn't understand...

My cunning plan for FT,  is working...

• Haha 1

On 16/04/2022 at 09:57, MS0204 said:

Just out of interest has anyone booked Tirana hotels/flights? The final definitely has been confirmed there as talk of it being moved.. 

I booked my flights today, I was going to wait but the prices seem to be on the rise. I’ll just have to take the hit

if we don’t make it.