Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
supernuk

Atmosphere at the KP

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

While I do agree with you about singing WYS much slower, I'm sick of "the younger generation" getting the blame for this. It's not like people in the age bracket you mention are exactly belting it out in their droves at the correct pace, is it?

If there's a disconnect with the club's traditions being passed down then it's not the fault of those actually trying to carry them on, even if they're not quite carrying them on exactly as you wish.

Maybe we should be looking at the generations above, the ones who didn't fight the introduction of all-seater stadia, who didn't bother to fight for a proper singing area when we moved to a new ground, who just let old songs die off rather than teach the next generation? Maybe they need to take a bit of the blame, eh?

Before anyone jumps on me, by the way, I do know some older guys who are top blokes, who do care and actually still actively support their team. But let's not kid ourselves. They're the exception and not the rule.

The clubs traditions have been passed down. The 'older' generation didn't just stop. When did the younger generation start? There has always been a crossover as more younger fans arrive and they learn. Somewhere over the years, probably around the move from Filbert St but might've been before, WYS has been lost. It's not a generational thing. That's just a poor excuse. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The clubs traditions have been passed down. The 'older' generation didn't just stop. When did the younger generation start? There has always been a crossover as more younger fans arrive and they learn. Somewhere over the years, probably around the move from Filbert St but might've been before, WYS has been lost. It's not a generational thing. That's just a poor excuse. 

Bingo. So I think it's a bit rich for people to be slating lads who are now too young to have ever visited Filbo for the fact it's not sung right. The younger generation are the ones left picking up the pieces after the generations before them let their own fan culture die with a whimper.

2 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Bingo. So I think it's a bit rich for people to be slating lads who are now too young to have ever visited Filbo for the fact it's not sung right. The younger generation are the ones left picking up the pieces after the generations before them let their own fan culture die with a whimper.

I wouldn't slate anyone for singing whatever they want and however they want. That said, I think it could be so much better if a 60's/70's anthem which is unique to LCFC, probably, could be done in the tradional way as it was intended. Liverpool pipe theirs over the PA just before the players emerge and keep it in time. We could do the same, even with the words on the screens to help, just before the PHG. It won't matter which generation you belong then, we can all sing it correctly. The club are really missing out on a trick here. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I wouldn't slate anyone for singing whatever they want and however they want. That said, I think it could be so much better if a 60's/70's anthem which is unique to LCFC, probably, could be done in the tradional way as it was intended. Liverpool pipe theirs over the PA just before the players emerge and keep it in time. We could do the same, even with the words on the screens to help, just before the PHG. It won't matter which generation you belong then, we can all sing it correctly. The club are really missing out on a trick here. 

Fully agree. The problem is we support a club who aren't arsed about celebrating anything that happened, on or off the pitch, unless it happened after 2010. And as for doing anything to actively support an independent fan culture? I'm not sure the people who could make that happen at the club would have the slightest clue about the concept in the first place.

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MattFox said:

We have a missing generation of fans in their late 30’s , early 40’s willing to get involved atmosphere wise.

Our fanbase demographics are really bizarre compared to other clubs

Honestly think this is as a result of our recent successes. There's a general thought that tickets are harder to get these days, and I think at that age football isn't your complete life, and you're not quite at the age of long-term season ticket holder.

Maybe the stadium increase will change that perception.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Fully agree. The problem is we support a club who aren't arsed about celebrating anything that happened, on or off the pitch, unless it happened after 2010. And as for doing anything to actively support an independent fan culture? I'm not sure the people who could make that happen at the club would have the slightest clue about the concept in the first place.

....the club appears to be cultivating a certain type of supporter!!!

There was a good post some time ago alluding to that theory.

It seems the family orientated feel is what they are going by and as a business model a genuine way to proceed. I would suspect in Thailand or Asia, it is that family day out social gathering of different generations that the owners are more use to.

I would hazard a guess that if football was a summer sport, they would welcome  barbecues being done in car parks, where everyone shared stories and eat chargrilled food.

Any ideas, that you can bring back those traditional songs or change their narrative, would mean approaching the board with what you would term a marketing pitch.

Unless you can convince the club that bringing back some lost tradition, would serve the club financially, then I am afraid it will likely be an idea that stays on the shelf.

2 hours ago, Spudulike said:

WYS was sung well a few times in the Watford section, which was in the main the younger generation. It's hardly being belted by the West Stand is it lol

I don't buy the "you sing it too fast" moaners as well, it's literally fine as it is. Any slower and you'll get the "funeral precession" jibe from the usual moaners in this thread. 

1 hour ago, Asha said:

Why have anthems like YNWA, Marching on Together etc stuck and WYS hasn’t? Because the clubs embrace it, playing it directly before kick off for everyone to join in on. You can’t be a young Liverpool or Leeds fan for five minutes without knowing the words. 

The one time WYS was sort of supported by the club, the awful Jersey Budd version was played, ruining the song and all of our lives forever. 

Ironically the Jersey Buff version is slower like we're told to sing it and at a similar pace to something like YNWA, and everyone still hates it lol

13 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I don't buy the "you sing it too fast" moaners as well, it's literally fine as it is. Any slower and you'll get the "funeral precession" jibe from the usual moaners in this thread. 

Football fans without music will pretty much always sing fast. Probably the only real exception is when Spurs or Southampton sing When the Saints go marching in.

Listen to how Liverpool fans sing You'll Never Walk Alone pre-match to the music versus at the end of the game without the music. It's night and day.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Everton fans protesting over potential of Vitor Pereira taking over 

Spurs fans protesting over Levy's running of the club 

Leicester fans protesting over goal music/match day experience

About the way fans are being treated. Namely fans who want to actively support the team

and create an atmosphere. If something isn’t done now to arrest the slide just imagine how it will be in 10 years time.

The Jersey Budd version was tacky but it at least there was some identity to it.

Before the Cardiff semi final, it gave you a real big pre-match feeling with the stadium virtually full 5-10 mins before kick off.

Now for a semi-final, we get a daft light show and The Greatest Showman blasted out at 130db.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Who is the agency they use that creates the match day videos pre-match? They might appreciate fans giving them ideas like WYS, they might not be die-hard leicester fans themselves. Could do something really great together with some fan input

Edited by lebleu
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, lebleu said:

Who is the agency they use that creates the match day videos pre-match? They might appreciate fans giving them ideas like WYS, they might not be die-hard leicester fans themselves. Could do something really great together with some fan input

Would have thought it was not a agency but just the clubs own media team.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I think we ought to have realised the football club does not care about its history or traditions when it had exactly the same response to the passing of its greatest ever goalkeeper and only World Cup winner as it did to the death of the Thai monarch.

The stadium has become sterile just as it was prior to 2013-14. Just that this time, the club have gone further into that 'matchday family experience' thing than they ever should. Yes, it's important to be inclusive. But you develop the next generation of supporter by giving them better access to tickets, rather than feeding them modern claptrap like goal music and whatever the shit noise they now play prior to kick-off is.

UFS are (apparently) not everyone's cup of tea but they appear to be the only ones pushing for the club to have an actual football club identity. Leicester City cannot become a brand, that will be the death of football as we knew it.

Even things about the stadium itself wind me up. Why do we need a band in the way of the turnstiles, or some silly pr*ck letting kids shoot at holes in an inflatable goal? Probably irrelevant to the topic, but it also grinds my gears now that the club has got three stands called the 'West Stand', 'East Stand' and 'Family Stand' while half the clubs in the division have got stands named after legendary players and managers, along with statues etc. outside the ground. The club has lost its culture.

We'll petition to get a statue of you outside the club shop Jeff, don't you worry.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I think we ought to have realised the football club does not care about its history or traditions when it had exactly the same response to the passing of its greatest ever goalkeeper and only World Cup winner as it did to the death of the Thai monarch.

The stadium has become sterile just as it was prior to 2013-14. Just that this time, the club have gone further into that 'matchday family experience' thing than they ever should. Yes, it's important to be inclusive. But you develop the next generation of supporter by giving them better access to tickets, rather than feeding them modern claptrap like goal music and whatever the shit noise they now play prior to kick-off is.

UFS are (apparently) not everyone's cup of tea but they appear to be the only ones pushing for the club to have an actual football club identity. Leicester City cannot become a brand, that will be the death of football as we knew it.

Even things about the stadium itself wind me up. Why do we need a band in the way of the turnstiles, or some silly pr*ck letting kids shoot at holes in an inflatable goal? Probably irrelevant to the topic, but it also grinds my gears now that the club has got three stands called the 'West Stand', 'East Stand' and 'Family Stand' while half the clubs in the division have got stands named after legendary players and managers, along with statues etc. outside the ground. The club has lost its culture.

Bang on. 

1 hour ago, jeffschlupp said:

The two ends do have names other than points on a compass... 

The South Stand (Spion Kop) = Fosse Stand

The North Stand (Family) = Lineker Stand. 

The stadium is located on Freeman's Wharf but hardly anyone mentions that. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

The two ends do have names other than points on a compass... 

The South Stand (Spion Kop) = Fosse Stand

The North Stand (Family) = Lineker Stand. 

The stadium is located on Freeman's Wharf but hardly anyone mentions that. 

I’m 100% up for something like this. 

It’s nice and all with parts of hospitality being named after Banks etc- but these iconic players in our history need more recognition like mentioned above

You go to Anfield (just an example) and the names of the stands are there to see of people who are significant to their history. I never visited the original Filbert Street- but our ground is missing so much of our history. Like others have said it’s like the club is living from 2010 onwards, and anything before hand is insignificant to them- which is a real shame

Edited by Chloe_77
  • Like 1