Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
supernuk

Atmosphere at the KP

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

The two ends do have names other than points on a compass... 

The South Stand (Spion Kop) = Fosse Stand

The North Stand (Family) = Lineker Stand. 

The stadium is located on Freeman's Wharf but hardly anyone mentions that. 

The club no longer makes reference to either of these names, whether they exist or not. It used to be the 'MarksElectrical Family Stand' did it not, and we had the AirAsia East Stand and so on. How much would it cost King Power to get rid of some of its branding and stick 'The Gary Lineker Stand' above the Family Stand screen?

• Like 2

Guest David Oldfields Gate
7 hours ago, MattFox said:

We have a missing generation of fans in their late 30’s , early 40’s willing to get involved atmosphere wise.

Our fanbase demographics are really bizarre compared to other clubs

Might be something in this. I'm 41 and everyone seems either ten years older than me or ten years younger (or thereabouts).  So this comment could be right, and thinking about why....

.....well for starters, I was the ONLY kid in primary school who supported leicester, everyone else was Liverpool, Utd, Everton or some shit. It was the eighties and we were shit. Older kids would of had the swashbuckling seventies teams to draw in support and later ones the nineties exploits .

So there maybe something in that my underrepresented age group is the product of being young in the Pleat era, which explains the difficulty passing the torch from the old school to the sky sports generation.

15 hours ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

Might be something in this. I'm 41 and everyone seems either ten years older than me or ten years younger (or thereabouts).  So this comment could be right, and thinking about why....

.....well for starters, I was the ONLY kid in primary school who supported leicester, everyone else was Liverpool, Utd, Everton or some shit. It was the eighties and we were shit. Older kids would of had the swashbuckling seventies teams to draw in support and later ones the nineties exploits .

So there maybe something in that my underrepresented age group is the product of being young in the Pleat era, which explains the difficulty passing the torch from the old school to the sky sports generation.

If that follows then the club will have a strong following in the next generation as it seems that most of our Leicestershire kids are growing up City fans. 

16 hours ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

Never thought about that but guess you are right. In the 70s and early 80s mostly kids supported Leicester. You do see a lot of all ages though at the stadium. Bit like the Scandinavians you meet. They love English football and they are all either Liverpool or United fans depending on which age group they belong to. In the future I expect we will see a lot more Leicester supporters from outside the county. Personally I love the fact that we have so many far flung supporters here on foxes talk. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, David Oldfields Gate said:

I can support this. I'm 37, I went to school just outside Loughborough. There were 2 City fans in my year and about half a dozen in a school of 2000.

It was a miserable era for City from Pleat to Pearson's second bite really, with only the O'Neill years to offset the gloom.

The 'missing generation' in my area were supporting Forest or one of the big Northern clubs in the top flight.

On 28/01/2022 at 10:25, Asha said:

Why have anthems like YNWA, Marching on Together etc stuck and WYS hasn’t? Because the clubs embrace it, playing it directly before kick off for everyone to join in on. You can’t be a young Liverpool or Leeds fan for five minutes without knowing the words. 

The one time WYS was sort of supported by the club, the awful Jersey Budd version was played, ruining the song and all of our lives forever. 

Sorry, because people will say it's tradition, but Post Horn Gallop kills it (even more so when we have that guy playing it). You're right in the fact clubs with anthems play them right near kick off, or when players emerge from the tunnel. Something for everyone to sing to, to get it going, should be played just as the players come out the tunnel. 

edit:

Thinking about it have we even played Post Horn Gallop before kick off this season? I either can't remember it or have somehow missed hearing it lol  I only ever recall hearing it after half time/when players emerge for the second half.

I still stand by my point though.

Edited by Fox92

6 hours ago, Bourbon Fox said:

I can support this. I'm 37, I went to school just outside Loughborough. There were 2 City fans in my year and about half a dozen in a school of 2000.

It was a miserable era for City from Pleat to Pearson's second bite really, with only the O'Neill years to offset the gloom.

The 'missing generation' in my area were supporting Forest or one of the big Northern clubs in the top flight.

I understand the sentiment, but we have to be a little careful in interpretation.   Most provincial clubs have ups and downs, so there will obviously be periods when a club is more or less popular.   But I wouldn't overplay the significance of this too much, in the long term.

If you're talking about the Pleat era (mainly 1988 - 1990), then you're presumably referring to your days in infant school.   But tbh not that many kids are "proper fans" at that age.  I don't remember anyone at my infant school being a City fan.   It's only really late junior school or secondary school that you properly start getting into it.

If you're 37 now, then you would've been at Secondary school from 1996 to 2003 (give or take a year).

The City got promoted in 1996, had 6 (mostly good) years in the top flight, and won the League Cup in 1997 and 2000.  It was looked on as one of the best times in our history.   And we got automatic promotion straight back in 2003.

So I would've said that "your generation" was actually at a relatively good time in the City's history, and can't think of any obvious reason why there would be a marked statistical shortfall.

I'm not disagreeing with any of your observations, as such, just pointing out that a more nuanced interpretation might be needed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

Well I’m the wrong side of 50 and it was pretty much the same for me growing up.

My school was full of Man Utd and Liverpool fans with the odd Leicester fan scattered amongst them. My dad wasn’t really a football fan so I had no parental influence. I’m ashamed to say I followed Liverpool at school as they were the team on telly all the while and in Europe. I only started supporting Leicester when I went to my first live match, at 16, at Filbert Street. I’ve been here ever since. 

There are actually a generation of fans now who never went to Filbert Street and have no concept of what a proper atmosphere is like. I don’t think it will ever recover at the KP until somebody brings in safe standing. 

In the kop at Filbert Street it was full of young men that were all very united and vocal. Now you look around the same area and it’s a complete mix of sexes and age ranges. I’m not criticising these people, as I’m getting on myself and I sit there, but you’d never see elderly men and ladies in the kop back in the 80s and 90s.

My theory is that safe standing would unite the younger, more vocal and vociferous fans into one area and the atmosphere would return. Oldies, like myself, who aren’t as vocal as they used to be can stay in the seats. 

I realise I’m stereotyping here and it’s not just younger men who make a noise, but it’s the exception that breaks the rule. A new generation of fans could recreate the noise of Filbert Street without the burden of remembering the good old days. 

I’m in no way against Safe Standing, (it was me who got the Roadshow to come to Counting House about 10 years ago before we played Peterborough) The atmosphere was relatively decent back then in L1. It peaked in 2015-17 (Champions League in ‘17)

L1 is now pretty much full of younger lads on their phone (there’s a core of people who’ve remained throughout the years) My take on it is that they saw how good it was in its hey day and migrated over to fill their Snapchat and Instagram stories to impress their mates. Without realising they need to actually sing too.

I bet the same would happen in a Safe Standing area too

1 hour ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

I’m in no way against Safe Standing, (it was me who got the Roadshow to come to Counting House about 10 years ago before we played Peterborough) The atmosphere was relatively decent back then in L1. It peaked in 2015-17 (Champions League in ‘17)

L1 is now pretty much full of younger lads on their phone (there’s a core of people who’ve remained throughout the years) My take on it is that they saw how good it was in its hey day and migrated over to fill their Snapchat and Instagram stories to impress their mates. Without realising they need to actually sing too.

I bet the same would happen in a Safe Standing area too

Don’t disagree with this. The only thing I would say though is that lads of that group are pretty impressionable. 

Terraces work well because they naturally shape. So if you have a decent core, you might get more of a ‘backing’ from lads such as that. 

There’s a cracking photo doing the rounds of Celtic’s safe standing today going absolutely nuts at their last minute winner. No one is holding a phone 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, K1FOX said:

What’s the clubs official take on safe standing? Have they even said anything? All other clubs seem to be introducing it?

They’ve always distanced themselves from it.

They refused to allow us to have the Safe Standing Roadshow outside the stadium which is why it ended up at The Counting House 

10 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Don’t disagree with this. The only thing I would say though is that lads of that group are pretty impressionable. 

Terraces work well because they naturally shape. So if you have a decent core, you might get more of a ‘backing’ from lads such as that. 

There’s a cracking photo doing the rounds of Celtic’s safe standing today going absolutely nuts at their last minute winner. No one is holding a phone 

That area is bonkers because they have a genuine ultras group leading it. If the Green Brigade weren't there it'd just be another quiet standing area.

• Like 2

The area mentioned with the photo at Celtic yesterday was taken at the other end of the ground. 

Like Sol said North Curve works at Celtic as you have a very strong ultras group fronting it plus a huge culture of songs at football that their fans enjoying singing and take pride in.

I don’t doubt section like that here would be great content for snapchat etc. Very easy to leave the hard work to those really driving it at the front. Not saying it needs full European mentality where you are likely hounded out the stand for filming and pulled to task for not singing. However you would be wanting a genuine buy in from all.

Accepted on that. 

However I firmly believe football crowds have a rough make up of about 10-15% who will sing, 25% who can sing and then 60% who will only do it in extreme moments. 

A safe standing area makes it far easier to get that 25% to join in and grow that 10-15%

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

On 28/01/2022 at 17:57, David Oldfields Gate said:

46 years old myself, went school in Melton, a lot kids I went school with were Forest, Derby or Villa fans and other top teams, I was Leicester because my dad took me down. 

5 hours ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

They’ve always distanced themselves from it.

They refused to allow us to have the Safe Standing Roadshow outside the stadium which is why it ended up at The Counting House 

With the recent developments still nothing?