Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2022

2 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

They are notorious sandbaggers, but saying that because this is such a new complex it's tough to really know. I genuinely think this is probably the most pointless testing in a long time because nobody is playing their aces yet 

There does seem to be a general consensus they are just meandering around the track. Both Russel and Hamilton are putting the same consistent lap times in and there really doesn't seem to be much panic from anybody about it.

The McLaren however does look to be in a spot of bother unfortunately 

On 11/03/2022 at 08:33, snoopy87 said:

I might be completely wide of the mark here, but I reckon Mercedes are still trolling everyone here. They were giving it full memes during the car reveals, they must surely know their car is on the money and are just holding back.

OR, they've completely screwed it!

Reckon I'm wide of the mark, starting to think Mercedes have stuffed it 

5 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

The only thing I'm confident about is Ferrari are gonna be middle of the pack 

Ha, my thoughts too. This has similarities to when McLaren ragged it in pre-season to appease sponsors by building hype and were then utterly mediocre. 

Just now, Zear0 said:

Ha, my thoughts too. This has similarities to when McLaren ragged it in pre-season to appease sponsors by building hype and were then utterly mediocre. 

It felt like during that vettel Ferrari era they were always top in testing too, they always seem to win testing then be back to 3rd or 4th

14 hours ago, Asha said:

Ah, that time of the year again.

Mercedes claim they have no chance of winning races and then get pole by 6 tenths in Bahrain. 

Bore off, no one believes you. 

I actually believe they are in a spot of bother this year. The porpoising in their car is by far the worst on the grid and it has to be having an effect on the performance.

Ferrari look the most stable, but I don't think they're anywhere near Red Bull. Maclaren look so disappointing 

54 minutes ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I’ve never really understood the idea of why teams sandbag. What purpose does it serve? 

It's all PR, plus the cards close to the chest and all that. Merc have done this countless time to give them some weird underdog thing when they're the Bayern Munich of the sport, it's beyond boring now.

1 hour ago, kingkisnorbo said:

I’ve never really understood the idea of why teams sandbag. What purpose does it serve? 

Teams are still developing the car through testing, hence why several teams have turned up with different configurations of sidepods etc. They're all trying to mask their performance in different ways and try to make it harder for other teams to copy them or work out their strengths and weaknesses.

Red Bull's biggest strength has typically been aerodynamics over the last fifteen years because Adrian Newey is a genius. So they've often shown up in abstract liveries designed to disguise some of the specifics of the shape of the car. Mercedes' version of masking their performance and keeping their cards closer to their chest is in throttling back to try and play down their speed. 

This year it does look like they are generally struggling a little bit more than in the past though. It was really telling that Horner had his expected tantrum when he saw Mercedes' "podless" car and then 24hrs later was backpedalling like "lol, ok yeah we don't care" because it was naff. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Lewis adds his mothers maiden name to Hamilton .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/60738120

Suspect the commentary teams might just stick with Hamilton or Lewis ?

Bit of a non story, even says in the second paragraph he's added it as a middle name not as a double-barrelled surname. So obviously they'll stick with Hamilton.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Bit of a non story, even says in the second paragraph he's added it as a middle name not as a double-barrelled surname. So obviously they'll stick with Hamilton.

Non story to us sane, non miserable folk who don't reside in their parents' basement anyway

2 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

A few of us looking to go to Monza this year. Anyone on here got any recommendations on where to sit, where to stay etc.?

I’d definitely go for a grandstand over General Admission. GA is great at a lot of circuits but Monza is not one of them. Shit views on only straights and have to be there really early to get any kind of good spot. 

For grandstands, first chicane is the best for action, followed by the second chicane. Ascari and Parabolica are both really cool for watching the cars cornering at speed too. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VinceNoir said:

A few of us looking to go to Monza this year. Anyone on here got any recommendations on where to sit, where to stay etc.?

I went in 2013. We sat in the grandstand just before the parabolica/ final corner. Think it was about €120 for 3 days.  We stayed in Milan and got the train in every day. 

• Thanks 1

Had high hopes for Ferrari, Mclaren et al would be at least competing or even ahead this season but I've got a horrible feeling its Merc vs Red Bull again :nigel:

Really bored of Mercedez domination and Red Bull apart from Checo seem to have a policy of only employing kn**heads.  Cant stand either of them can anyone give me hope another team might win it?