Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Zear0

Formula 1 2022

5 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

If I were Hamilton I'd be trying to get into the Ferrari. The merc looks shite. Or I'd just retire. Unless merc could convince me they could actually fix the car.

Absolutely no chance of that now with Leclerc and Sainz locked up. 

Would Ferrari even want him? He was outqualified by Mick Schumacher today.

2 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

If Sainz continues to underperform maybe? I'd love to see it.

Even that though, you've got the cost cap to think of plus would Hamilton be happy signing specifically for the second drivers seat? The only logic to the move would be purely PR tbf. Also the other factor of if you sign him with the idea that he's going to compete with leclerc, your strongest rivals have a wingman for their star driver so it just doesn't work .

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Unless merc could convince me they could actually fix the car.

The only way they are fixing the porpoising is by making the car even slower, they either need to raise the ride height or stiffen the suspension 

• Like 1

That was perhaps the worst day for Mercedes since they rejoined F1 as a works team.  Actually looked like they were falling apart today.  Falling further and further back (I genuinely think only Williams have the worse car ATM) and frustrations boiling over in public. 

0.7s a lap behind in Bahrain, 0.9s behind in Saudi Arabia, 1s a lap slower in Australia and now 2s slower today.  Aston Martin were faster by a second a lap FFS.  McLaren have also made huge strides since the opening weekend.  WTAF have Mercedes been doing?

I think Anthony Davidson revealed a lot though.  Saying that the car looked great in the simulator but it failed to pick up the porpoising.  Therefore it sounds like Mercedes have designed and built an entire race car with a catastrophic flaw that nobody knew existed until a couple of weeks before the season started.

To echo a couple of comments on here, it actually looked a safety hazard at times today, Russell at 24 should be fine but Hamilton at 37 is long past his physical and mental prime.  I wonder how much a toll it's having on his body.

What a mess.

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

F1 has become a little too trigger happy with the red flags imo.

Apart from that, how is it that Mercedes have got their car so wrong?  It looks like an absolute abomination to drive.  If there's no quick fix, which is looking impossible to achieve, they need to start over again.  

What i'd be interested to know is whats happened with the Barcelona car? I know the car bounched there too but it was quickest over the course of the 3 days which I know doesn't mean it would translate to being faster than Ferrari once the season started, but is it guaranteed that that car would be worse than the sidepod-less one?

31 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

That was perhaps the worst day for Mercedes since they rejoined F1 as a works team.  Actually looked like they were falling apart today.  Falling further and further back (I genuinely think only Williams have the worse car ATM) and frustrations boiling over in public. 

0.7s a lap behind in Bahrain, 0.9s behind in Saudi Arabia, 1s a lap slower in Australia and now 2s slower today.  Aston Martin were faster by a second a lap FFS.  McLaren have also made huge strides since the opening weekend.  WTAF have Mercedes been doing?

I think Anthony Davidson revealed a lot though.  Saying that the car looked great in the simulator but it failed to pick up the porpoising.  Therefore it sounds like Mercedes have designed and built an entire race car with a catastrophic flaw that nobody knew existed until a couple of weeks before the season started.

To echo a couple of comments on here, it actually looked a safety hazard at times today, Russell at 24 should be fine but Hamilton at 37 is long past his physical and mental prime.  I wonder how much a toll it's having on his body.

What a mess.

:nigel: Jesus

Doing pretty well if they have the 2nd worst car yet find themselves in 2nd in the constructors. In every race so far (minus Hamilton in Saudi Arabia) they've fairly comfortably had the 3rd best car. They have always had struggles warming up their tyres, and they have always had a sweet spot with car setup which when they fail to hit it means they've always been well off the pace. In the past they would still get top 5/6. Hand them one practice session at a cold and wet Imola they were always going to struggle today.

And physical/mental prime... what lol

Also there's no way Hamilton would be pushing for a move to another team, his possible Chelsea investment plus all other things he's doing over the last few years pretty much shows hes preparing for life outside F1. Factor in the freedom he has at Merc, how he's been with them all his career, how he seems the loyal sort who's not going to want to quit because they haven't built a championship winning car for the first time in nearly 10 years... need I go on?

1 hour ago, Stinky said:

What i'd be interested to know is whats happened with the Barcelona car? I know the car bounched there too but it was quickest over the course of the 3 days which I know doesn't mean it would translate to being faster than Ferrari once the season started, but is it guaranteed that that car would be worse than the sidepod-less one?

:nigel: Jesus

Doing pretty well if they have the 2nd worst car yet find themselves in 2nd in the constructors. In every race so far (minus Hamilton in Saudi Arabia) they've fairly comfortably had the 3rd best car. They have always had struggles warming up their tyres, and they have always had a sweet spot with car setup which when they fail to hit it means they've always been well off the pace. In the past they would still get top 5/6. Hand them one practice session at a cold and wet Imola they were always going to struggle today.

And physical/mental prime... what lol

Also there's no way Hamilton would be pushing for a move to another team, his possible Chelsea investment plus all other things he's doing over the last few years pretty much shows hes preparing for life outside F1. Factor in the freedom he has at Merc, how he's been with them all his career, how he seems the loyal sort who's not going to want to quit because they haven't built a championship winning car for the first time in nearly 10 years... need I go on?

If you want to continue having an argument with yourself then go ahead.  At no point in my original post did I say that Hamilton would be pushing for a move to another team.

Yes they are 2nd in the Constructors but that is purely down to poor Red Bull reliability.  As it stands they are drifting further away from the top two and based on this weekend so far, they look like they're slower than Alpine, McLaren, Aston Martin and possibly even Alfa Romeo.  Unless they can find significantly better race pace then it will be a desperately poor weekend for them.

Hamilton and Wolff wouldn't be having exchanges in front of the TV cameras if things were as per.

3 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

If you want to continue having an argument with yourself then go ahead.  At no point in my original post did I say that Hamilton would be pushing for a move to another team.

Yes they are 2nd in the Constructors but that is purely down to poor Red Bull reliability.  As it stands they are drifting further away from the top two and based on this weekend so far, they look like they're slower than Alpine, McLaren, Aston Martin and possibly even Alfa Romeo.  Unless they can find significantly better race pace then it will be a desperately poor weekend for them.

Hamilton and Wolff wouldn't be having exchanges in front of the TV cameras if things were as per.

Yes I'm aware, it was aimed at those in here who have suggested it

Yes Red Bull should be ahead of them but that still puts them 3rd... but like I said the structure of this weekend and the weather today set Mercedes up to fail. It's not a totally representable day

I still get the impression that Sky think Ferrari have got this season wrapped up already.  Leclerc has Sainz beaten and the team are looking unbeatable.

They have short memories. 

Once Ferrari are put under pressure they will crack and team errors will come to the fore.  There's no doubting Leclerc's ability, but we still have 20 races to go.  A lot can change in 20 races.

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I still get the impression that Sky think Ferrari have got this season wrapped up already.  Leclerc has Sainz beaten and the team are looking unbeatable.

They have short memories. 

Once Ferrari are put under pressure they will crack and team errors will come to the fore.  There's no doubting Leclerc's ability, but we still have 20 races to go.  A lot can change in 20 races.

If redbull can get on top of their reliability I don't think there's much between them, but it's a huge gap already so it'll be interesting 

This is where having extra teams being competitive makes it harder to claw it back for Mercedes.  I'd say last season RB had the quicker car until Austria, but that didn't matter as Merc could just plod to an easy 2nd.  This year, if you're behind you're fighting for 5th 6th and the points gap makes the gap to the leaders far greater.  Whilst they've been lucky to be 2nd in constructors, the gap to Charles is much greater than it was between Max/Lewis last year.  They can't afford to wait until Hungary (ignoring Bottas' favour at that race) to get the quicker car this time as that will be too late.  If they're not winning by Baku, forget about it Merc.

• Like 1