Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller was god

Mark Wallington

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

Fantastic keeper, and under rated in his playing day. He was unfortunate to be around at a time when England had alot of top quality keepers, including Shilton and Clemence who no one was going to replace in the England team. He was my second keeper for city, having seen Shilton before him, and although Shilton was the better keeper, Wallington was my favourite keeper, and for me, second only to Shilton when it comes to the keepers I've seen play for city.  Add to that, that he was a funny guy and had a real rapport with the kop too.  There was a guy in the kop, that every time we had a goal kick at the kop end, would shout "Give it a big un Mark", just as he launched it down the pitch. None of this tippy tappy play it out from the back in those days!  We would also sing "He's not bald, he's not bald, he's not bald, and Wallington would pat his bald spot on his head. Also used to pretend he had got his foot stuck in the goal net at times too. Great days, great keeper.

Ok we need someone in the Kop to step up and shout ‘Give it a big un Kasper’ when we have a goal kick.

• Like 1

My first footballing hero.

He made flying visits to my fathers' pub on the outskirts of the city centre, during his testimonial year in the early 80's, laden with LCFC/Wallington memorabilia to raffle off to the regulars. I think he was doing it to every single pub around the town as it was always a swift pint, which he never paid for, and off to the next boozer after collecting the takings and delivering more stuff.

All proceeds were going to himself for his testimonial year and there was always a huge buzz around when he came in and I was awestruck.

Of course, once his testimonial year as over we never saw him again but that's OK, he was, and still is, a legend of the club.

Edited by ElusiveEd
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Corky said:

Goalkeeper has to be our legendary position, a bit like Man United's number 7 or Newcastle's number 9.

Banks, Shilton, Schmeichel, Wallington, then you've got other good goalkeepers like Flowers and Walker who were title winners and/ or England internationals.

England's two greatest goalkeepers plus a title and cup winning son of probably the best keeper in England (possibly Europe) in the last 30 years, all playing and starring for us.

I agree, GK and striker are our mythological positions. The keepers you mentioned alongside Vardy, Heskey, Lineker, Hine, Hines, Rowley and Chandler are our best ever barring a few exceptions. Historically we’re not one of the outright most successful clubs in the country but our contribution is far greater.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 1

Never underrated by anyone who appreciated the less showy and more dependable player.

Given that he succeeded two peerless England keepers, he was bound to live in their shadows, yet he was a superb commander of his area. He should never be considered less than a worthy successor to two of the greatest keepers in English and international football.

Brave, tough, enduring, very good at his job and loyal above all - always one of my favourite City players. Until Schmeichel came along I'd rate him third in rank of all the goalies I've seen play for City.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

Wallo.   Absolute top player and top guy.  

Late 70's/early 80's, he was the Kop's favourite.

He made 331 consecutive competetive appearances from 1975-1982, until injured in the famous Shrewsbury cup tie.

And as said above, a really funny guy with a great sense of humour.   He played the game with a smile.

I was a boy when we played Shrewsbury in that cup tie. I remember hearing the crowd at Filbert St in a car park at William Caples, the old print factory near the old Mercury offices when my dad was parking up. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

I was a boy when we played Shrewsbury in that cup tie. I remember hearing the crowd at Filbert St in a car park at William Caples, the old print factory near the old Mercury offices when my dad was parking up. 

I can believe that.   The atmosphere that day was absolutely incredible,  And it was a pretty amazing match,as well.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

More like ...Munro/Blockley, Cross... in his early days.

Blockley played I  the first game I ever went to.  But I think Shilton was in  goal.

It seems like Wellington, Whitworth, Rofe happened hundreds of times;  the reality is probably different.   

By the time Jock Wallace's blue and white army were promoted, Bobby Smith was sometimes used in a ground breaking back 3.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, majaco said:

Blockley played I  the first game I ever went to.  But I think Shilton was in  goal.

It seems like Wellington, Whitworth, Rofe happened hundreds of times;  the reality is probably different.   

By the time Jock Wallace's blue and white army were promoted, Bobby Smith was sometimes used in a ground breaking back 3.

Blockley didn't sign for us until 1975, Shilton left in 1974.  I think Blockleys first game was the week after we beat Leatherhead in the cup after being 2-0  down. Ironically, he replaced Malcolm Munro, who was the one who made an unbelievable goal line clearance just as the "leatherhead lip" Chris Kelly, was rolling it into an empty net. That was Munro's last game for us. Blockley took his place, Munro got disillusioned with football, and left the club, and never played pro football again. City actually kept his registration for a number of years after, presumably in case he ever came back, or there was a chance he would want to play again, and we could get a transfer fee. He never did though, and the last thing I heard, was he had moved to Australia. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, marcymarc446 said:

Always remember before every game he'd gently kick first the left post at the bottom with both feet, then walk along and jump up and tap the crossbar twice from one end to the other then kick the post the other end the same. Like he was saying 'this is my territory' !

My Labrador does that when I take him out. Just not quite so discretely as Wallo did …..

Wallo, as I always called him is definitely a hero goalie for me. He was a fantastically dependable keeper and it is a crime to goalkeeping that he never got an England cap or win one of the three major trophies.

He did have that rapport with the Leicester City fans and was so loyal to the club. I remember at Cov in the mid eighties when our fans invaded the pitch from behind his goal (it was carnage in case you know nothing about it). I was in my teens and was forced onto the pitch to avoid the crush of the surge. I was very close to Wallington and he was furious, screaming at our fans to get off the pitch. He just walked away disgust while our fans attacked theirs in all stands (no exaggeration).

4 hours ago, majaco said:

Yes you are correct with Whitworth and Rofe on the teamsheet following the keeper as almost permanent fixtures as full backs in that era, until Whitworth left for Sunderland in the late 70's.

Not sure about the Duke playing in goal though. :)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

Yes you are correct with Whitworth and Rofe on the teamsheet following the keeper as almost permanent fixtures as full backs in that era, until Whitworth left for Sunderland in the late 70's.

Not sure about the Duke playing in goal though. :)

Auto correct and all that jazz

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

Blockley didn't sign for us until 1975, Shilton left in 1974.  I think Blockleys first game was the week after we beat Leatherhead in the cup after being 2-0  down. Ironically, he replaced Malcolm Munro, who was the one who made an unbelievable goal line clearance just as the "leatherhead lip" Chris Kelly, was rolling it into an empty net. That was Munro's last game for us. Blockley took his place, Munro got disillusioned with football, and left the club, and never played pro football again. City actually kept his registration for a number of years after, presumably in case he ever came back, or there was a chance he would want to play again, and we could get a transfer fee. He never did though, and the last thing I heard, was he had moved to Australia. 

Memory eh?   Blockley didn't play in the first game I saw then.