Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Weller was god

Mark Wallington

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

Blockley didn't sign for us until 1975, Shilton left in 1974.  I think Blockleys first game was the week after we beat Leatherhead in the cup after being 2-0  down. Ironically, he replaced Malcolm Munro, who was the one who made an unbelievable goal line clearance just as the "leatherhead lip" Chris Kelly, was rolling it into an empty net. That was Munro's last game for us. Blockley took his place, Munro got disillusioned with football, and left the club, and never played pro football again. City actually kept his registration for a number of years after, presumably in case he ever came back, or there was a chance he would want to play again, and we could get a transfer fee. He never did though, and the last thing I heard, was he had moved to Australia. 

The young me went to the Leatherhead game and wanted to leave at half time.  Perhaps that was also the day I learnt never to leave a match early.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BoyJones said:

I’ve been going regularly since 1962/63. My all time favourite keeper. 

Banks was ok but mistake prone, Shilton was pure class but had no personality, I liked Poole for his professionalism and Kasper is good but moans too much for me. The rest were basically sound keepers but nothing special, didn’t rate Keller.

Wallington was just a great keeper, enjoyed the game and a real credit to himself and the club. Old school, too nice for the current game.

Banks ok?he was and is one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time. Kasper would never of got near the team from 1960 to 86. I preferred Shilts to banks but both were great. Loved Wallington but not near same class as them. But If Wallington played today Kasper would be on bench at best.

Used to live near me in East Goscote in a regular house. That was in the days when these guys weren’t rewarded as well as they are today. I loved the Bloomfield team that he played with and it was, perhaps, my happiest times watching them play.  (Although I also loved a few other teams down the years as well, especially Wallace, MON, Pearson and Ranieri 😁).   Living in Canada now but, luckily, because of DAZN, we get to watch every game and, like everyone else we cannot understand the substitutions, wonder why Iheanacho has been excluded from the team and all say “I think we are going to lose because we are only  2-0 up with 15 minutes to go”. Hahaha.

Always remember him, Alan Young and Steve Lynex playing musical goalies in the Shrewsbury FA Cup QFs 1982 after MW got crocked in a challenge with ....Chic Bates?! He had many good games from 1978-85 including against the mighty Liverpool of the early 80s on a few occasions, in which Foxes were sometimes victorious! 

On 21/12/2021 at 00:23, BoyJones said:

I’ve been going regularly since 1962/63. My all time favourite keeper. 

Banks was ok but mistake prone, Shilton was pure class but had no personality, I liked Poole for his professionalism and Kasper is good but moans too much for me. The rest were basically sound keepers but nothing special, didn’t rate Keller.

Wallington was just a great keeper, enjoyed the game and a real credit to himself and the club. Old school, too nice for the current game.

Well to be charitable I guess everyone is entitled to his opinion but I have to nominate your comment "Banks was mistake prone" as Foxestalk`s Gobsmacker of the Year!

He was ,is and ever shall be the Greatest Goalkeeper the world of football has ever produced, quite simply MAGNIFICENT!

P.S I quite liked him too!..Merry Christmas! 

On 21/12/2021 at 08:17, Supergray22 said:

Christmas is such an emotive time. Had to take my dad from his care home to Glenfield hospital for an urgent check on something yesterday.  On the way back I took a quick detour round king power and welford road. He doesn’t recognise Leicester at all and still doesn’t believe we were in league 1 despite being a season ticket holder at the time.  He can’t comprehend the recent events and responds with wide eyes and disbelief. His last game was in 15/16 and I had to practically had to carry him up the stairs to our seats much to the amusement of those sat nearby,  My brother had made a tactical diversion to the bar. He can still fondly remember the 60s cup finals, the Bloomfield era and maybe odd game like the spurs semi final. My mum won’t let me play the bochelli stream though as his reaction is too painful to watch. Football is much more than just a game. 

What a brilliant, sobering post. God love him.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lesterlad said:

Banks ok?he was and is one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time. Kasper would never of got near the team from 1960 to 86. I preferred Shilts to banks but both were great. Loved Wallington but not near same class as them. But If Wallington played today Kasper would be on bench at best.

Steady don’t know why people can’t say Leicester have had 4 absolutely superb goalkeepers in last 4 years. The kind of thing most clubs would die for 

On 21/12/2021 at 12:38, Blue Fox 72 said:

Yes you are correct with Whitworth and Rofe on the teamsheet following the keeper as almost permanent fixtures as full backs in that era, until Whitworth left for Sunderland in the late 70's.

Not sure about the Duke playing in goal though. :)

He didn't last long before getting the boot! 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gordon the Great said:

What a brilliant, sobering post. God love him.

Thanks. It was a tough day and I was a bit embarrassed after I shared that. He played alongside Colin Appleton in Scarborough and got to play football in the army during national service. Training in the African sun on the beaches has left him with a lot of skin problems in later life. Difficult to keep on top of treatment during covid times and having late stage dementia whilst in a care home doesn’t help. Still a fighter though and keeps smiling. 

• Like 1