Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Liverpool vs Leicester (cup) post match

Off to a flying start, glaring problems at the back for them. Morton fly's into Ricky P and he's out for the night, maybe the season - yellow card. They suss us out a little bit and start covering KDH more, Tielemans not up to pace. Maddison scores a screamer, 3-1 at the break. Clear as day their keeper is average at that point.

Start second half off, L'pool thrown their big names on, 3 subs at half time, all regular starters. Daka goes off injured, extra pace neutered. Then Kasper shanks a ball out from defence, causing us to go from complete safety to extreme danger in 2 seconds, Caglar gets injured from that situation with a covering tackle. At this point Brendan throws Vestergaard & Bertrand on ... the end is inevitable at this point. The ball keeps coming back at us, the makeshift defence can't cope and one goes in. Jota then throws an elbow out into Thomas's chin, but remember, no VAR here tonight, Liverpool get free pass to play dirty. Albrighton situation; not too sure what to make of it, one angle looks 50/50, other angle looks like their man left something in there, either way they were both fully committed and neither win the ball - it kicks off and the Scouse fans get their engine stoked. 

End of the game. We've battled well to get to this point to be fair. Thomas is clearly pissed off at the earlier incident and picks up a yellow for timewasting. 4th official announces six minutes ... felt abit much, 5 max imo, time wasting but not that much. Defensive collapse again and we concede.

So, it's a mixed bag really. Manager is at fault for taking KDH off, was our best player up til that point, unless he was cooked or something. Shame about Soyuncu, hope Daka is ok. Fearing the worst for Ricardo. We also didn't put enough pressure on their keeper second half, disappointed not to have scored in over 60 minutes against him. Pot luck penalties but Bertrand's effort was lame. Not listened to any post match yet

It's strange that you have two Premier League teams and a highly ranked ref yet we don't have VAR in the quarter finals of a Cup competition ... think it would've helped.

7 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Ok I think my question on the subs seems partially answered we had some injuries.  But KDB wasnt one of them.

So yeah Bertrand for KDB was just dumb, a clear Rodgers panic bottle job sub there.

I also dont disagree on the ref, on the part of the game I watched, he seemed to be clearly not wanting to get in the way of Liverpool.

Our players were awful last 10 minutes, but I do think this was probably the result of the manager sending a signal of give up with his tactical changes.

As to injuries I just dont understand why is no enquiry.  I dont believe the injury situation is luck at this point.

Indeed.

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We scored a wonder goal, Kasper pulled out 2 miracle saves and we got a lucky VAR decision, also Chelsea couldn’t finish their chances. 

We fluked the cup really lets be honest, not that any of us were complaining. 

Bullshite im fed up of hearing this crap… we didn’t get lucky at all. We played a game and won.

We really do have odd supporters, there can’t be another set of supporters in the world who down play their achievements so much. 
FFS we won the bloody FA Cup for the first time in our history and we bloody moan about it.

• Like 1

Daka...KDH subbed....Brendan Why oh why..!!

Ndidi bad time jump, Rest Not defending that last cross..

Did Tielemans play..

We can lose to liverpool, we had this game ,then our  Bench panicked, then so did the team...

We lose 88% of our  tackles, cant hold then Move the ball,Pass the ball..Tielemans had a Chance to sell himself...!!

2 minutes ago, reynard said:

We basically won the FA Cup because Tielemans played one of the best individual all round performances I've ever seen live by a Leicester player and Kasper made two wonder saves. That was the difference on the day. If that Mount effort had gone in we would have almost certainly lost.

This defeat is hard to take. I'd say the subs really cost us and our inability to clear the ball in the 95th minute. 

Aside from the injuries the most worrying thing for me is our apparent lack of mental fortitude. we're just too easy to play against and as soon as the opposition up their tempo and intensity we fall apart.

The question as to why Vardy didn't take a penalty is one that needs answering.

Also on the subs I suppose we don't know how affected by covid the squad have been. Some may not have been able to play a full 90 at that tempo.

Another disappointing and frustrating night in a season of frustration and disappointment.

Hard to see it being much of a success now.

So dumb saying we won an entire competition just because 2 players played well in the final 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sishades said:

BR slating the ref...the worst he has seen.

anfield and refs

its ridiculous

remember there 97th pen with mane as well

No wonder they have not lost a game in 6 years in front of fans with kl;opp screaming at the ref every thirty seconds

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

We didn’t lose tonight because of penalties. We lost tonight because we don’t have a good enough squad. Klopp rotated big time and then quickly reverted back to almost his first 11 by full time. We started with probably our strongest available 11 and the only area that looked weak was defence but by the 60th minute that already looking defence amazingly looked even worse. Vestergaard and Bertrand didn’t do a whole lot wrong in the time they played (apart from missing a penalty) but they’re presence in the team created a fear factor that meant the rest of 11 were in complete panic mode. 

One thing we have to talk about is our complete an utter lack of control of the game tonight. At 0-2 and 1-3 tonight we still didn’t look like we were in control. At 2-3 especially we were awful. We rushed every clearance and looked like we were defending with 10 men with only 2 minutes to play even when we had 25/30 minutes left to play. Not once did we take the ball down in midfield and string some passes around to quiet the crowd down and kill their momentum. We just kept throwing them the ball back and inviting their back 4 and midfield to push up on us. Amateur.

We have the same squad that finished 5th last season and won the FA Cup and suffered a whole series of injuries. In fact we've added to that squad and didn't really lose anyone over the summer. That same squad plus the extras looks a whole lot worse to me and I'm not sure what the reasons are.

• Like 1

Just about to set off home :nono:

Great clinical first half, it was all this team could be. It was awesome.

The subs cost us, I understood Ricardo and Soyuncu injured but I don’t get taking Daka or KDH off unless they had knocks/legless. I think in the end the defensive injuries forced our hand. 

The ref gave nothing, I’d like to see challenge on Ricardo and the elbow on tv.

Im not sure why Vardy didn’t take a penalty, can anyone else clarify this?

That game was our season in a microscope, great promise and awesome moves but calamity isn’t far off. The annoying thing is it’s evidently there, we just can’t string 90 minutes together. We go again. 

*for once defending corners looked alright, but we concede far too many. It just means the chance of one going in is there no matter how well you can defend them.

Edited by Fox in the North
  • Like 1

I know everyone wants to slate Rodgers but i think he made the right subs considering the circumstances, the first one was albrighton for Ricardo due to the injury, very sensible, then Nacho for Daka, i suspect he didn't take vardy off cause he was on a hattrick, still taking Daka off took the sting out of the press and Nacho didn't help matters. Next was Vestergaard for Soyuncu, obviously due to injury, now consider a back 4 of Vestergaard (who Rodgers doesn't trust, for good reasons), Ndidi ( who is still coming to terms with the position), albrighton ( who is a makeshift fullback) and Thomas (a youngin), made sense to switch to a back 5 which would allow albrighton be more comfortable in his position and Nacho and Vardy would be able to play the way they are used to, what i noticed is Nacho didn't play that way, rather he tried to fill in the pockets that Daka was filling in the first half even though we were playing with an entirely new system now. For betrand to come on and be that third defender, someone in the midfield had to go, naturally we'd all want it to be soumare but once again KDH was the right call, he's the most forward thinking of the three players and having Soumare and Teilemans as the two sitting as they had been all game seemed the right call. We were ultimately done in by lack of cover on the bench. Also Vards must have been obviously injured, its the only logical explanation.

• Like 1

Rogers is going to get a huge fine. The slagging off of the referee on radio Leicester is gold star.  All credit to him for that.  We have to accept we are rocked by injuries and COViD - just keep the faith!

Whatever subs Rodgers made we were screwed in defence but why completely give away control of midfield and take off our only real grafter in KDH? Surely a back 4 and trying to crowd out the midfield was the better option than having only 1 of 5 defenders playing in their natural position