Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SecretPro

Liverpool vs Leicester (cup) post match

It's football fans being dicks, it's happened for 50 years, it'll happen for another 50 years.

To me it's outdated, not really necessary but the usual attempt at winding people up that football fans do. We all behave differently within stadiums and act in a way we wouldn't usually do.

Was any serious malice intended by it? I doubt it. Was it a copycat thing because others have done it? Yes. 

Shut the grounds again if you don't want to hear fans- it worked last time. Otherwise, just accept people are twats, nasty, horrible, call them out and move on.

No fanbase is perfect, no need to be holier than thou, we're the current protagonists of the nasty chants. And probably Tuesday too. Then the next lot will be up. But let's actually call this for what it was- people looking for a reaction rather than seriously believing people deserve to starve. If our fans really thought that, we wouldn't be having a Foodbank collection ourselves next week which usually collects a lot of items.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

I remember back in the late 80's we went to see a reserve game v Forest at Filbo. Clough turned up in the car park being chauffeur driven in a big blue Rolls Royce.

Me and a few mates spotted him and said something to him (bit of banter) and he took it completely the wrong way and had a right go at us. Him and his chauffeur walked into the entrance and we let all the tyres down on his Roller :D

Brilliant manager, absolutely 'of his time' but a total bully. Wouldn't last five minutes in todays game.

Agree. 

He wouldn’t be tolerated in todays game. People were upset by some of Pearson, Gattuso, Simeones antics etc, however they are small fry compared to Clough. He wasn’t given the England role for a reason. 

I suppose my generation talk about him like the older generation of my day did about the Shankleys / Busbies of the world. 

1 hour ago, Corky said:

It's football fans being dicks, it's happened for 50 years, it'll happen for another 50 years.

To me it's outdated, not really necessary but the usual attempt at winding people up that football fans do. We all behave differently within stadiums and act in a way we wouldn't usually do.

Was any serious malice intended by it? I doubt it. Was it a copycat thing because others have done it? Yes. 

Shut the grounds again if you don't want to hear fans- it worked last time. Otherwise, just accept people are twats, nasty, horrible, call them out and move on.

No fanbase is perfect, no need to be holier than thou, we're the current protagonists of the nasty chants. And probably Tuesday too. Then the next lot will be up. But let's actually call this for what it was- people looking for a reaction rather than seriously believing people deserve to starve. If our fans really thought that, we wouldn't be having a Foodbank collection ourselves next week which usually collects a lot of items.

Hang on a second though

Surely if the chant was even implying this, we’d sing ‘Don’t feed the scousers, don’t let them know it’s Christmas time’?

Who in their right mind would want to sing about letting kids starve? 

Incredible even though the Liverpool fans have been totally vindicated that there are people who think it was Liverpool fans fault, makes you wonder if they understand the law and just can't get past their innate dislike for the club.  Incredible really when you consider how football fans are treated in this country, lack of unity is certainly one of the reasons we are still treated with distain.

Guest Col city fan
2 hours ago, Izzy said:

I remember back in the late 80's we went to see a reserve game v Forest at Filbo. Clough turned up in the car park being chauffeur driven in a big blue Rolls Royce.

Me and a few mates spotted him and said something to him (bit of banter) and he took it completely the wrong way and had a right go at us. Him and his chauffeur walked into the entrance and we let all the tyres down on his Roller :D

Brilliant manager, absolutely 'of his time' but a total bully. Wouldn't last five minutes in todays game.

Says more about ‘today’s game’ than Clough I think

The football is still exciting but the money the players earn is just obscene and the post match interviews etc are just pointless. You could have a robot churning out the same drivel each time 

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Says more about ‘today’s game’ than Clough I think

The football is still exciting but the money the players earn is just obscene and the post match interviews etc are just pointless. You could have a robot churning out the same drivel each time 

Fair point Col. There certainly doesn’t seem to be as many characters in the game these days. But maybe we’re just getting old mate :unsure:

Just now, Corky said:

There's no way the fans would've been happy with us not trying to win the cup.

Easy with hindsight to say it has cost us.

Oh for sure, that game was ours to take and we should've. Some awful luck with Riccy alongside that result has made it appear a bad call

12 hours ago, Lizzie said:

I categorically and unequivocally condemned all death mocking chants in my post and it's certainly not my fault that you have deliberately misrepresented that post. And it didn't take Liverpool 30 years to acknowledge Heysel. It's always been acknowledged. You can choose to ignore that all you like and you can use that as a convenient stick to beat Liverpool fans with just as much. And you know full well we only got the "victim" tag because we campaigned endlessly to expose the truth of what happened in the aftermath of Hillsborough. Or, are you seriously suggesting the cover up and smear campaign didn't happen? Sadly, it seems from posts like yours and others, the smear campaign was all too effective. As for your reference to "Murdererstalk" (whatever that is you're even referring to), it is beyond contempt.

I don't expect Juve fans to accept the respects paid by LFC. But that doesn't negate the fact that they happen. Now, I really am done here.

The sad thing is, there's no rivalry between Liverpool and Leicester. We're just two football clubs coexisting. Yet there's this swell of irrational hatred pouring out for no reason. It's weird.

It’s not about  the truth about the aftermath of Hillsborough, we all know what happened in the aftermath, the cover ups, the newspaper stuff, the attitude of the police towards football fans and everything else, But the aftermath is after the event and  is nothing to do with why 96 fans lost their lives and there’s always seemed to be no guilt whatsoever from any fan that was involved. Put it this way, if I accidentally pushed someone down the stairs at a football match because someone pushed me and that person died, would I feel any guilt? The answer is yes! But there has been any remorse or any acceptance of responsibility from Liverpool fans. No. Even in the last enquiry where question 7 was , are Liverpool fans in any way responsible for 96 fans losing their life, the jury had to reconsider their answer. Why would they have to reconsider it?

probably because no one liked the first answer and everyone had got fed up with trying to differentiate between the blame of the tragedy and the blame of the aftermath of the tragedy, two separate issues.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

It’s not about  the truth about the aftermath of Hillsborough, we all know what happened in the aftermath, the cover ups, the newspaper stuff, the attitude of the police towards football fans and everything else, But the aftermath is after the event and  is nothing to do with why 96 fans lost their lives and there’s always seemed to be no guilt whatsoever from any fan that was involved. Put it this way, if I accidentally pushed someone down the stairs at a football match because someone pushed me and that person died, would I feel any guilt? The answer is yes! But there has been any remorse or any acceptance of responsibility from Liverpool fans. No. Even in the last enquiry where question 7 was , are Liverpool fans in any way responsible for 96 fans losing their life, the jury had to reconsider their answer. Why would they have to reconsider it?

probably because no one liked the first answer and everyone had got fed up with trying to differentiate between the blame of the tragedy and the blame of the aftermath of the tragedy, two separate issues.

The trouble was ... they had inquiry(s) to try and work out what happened at the time, and what happened afterwards.   
But they never really did a proper analysis of the events leading up to Hillsborough ... and what effect that had.

Why were terraces penned off into sections?
 (which ultimately caused the disaster - as the pressure of the crush couldn't dissipate sidewards.)

Why were there fences at the front of the terrace?
 (which prevented people easily escaping onto the pitch in an emergency.)

Why did the police adopt a "laissez-faire" attitude to the fans?
 (instead of micro managing them into each pen.)

The answers to the above 3 questions are uncomfortable, as football fans in general and Liverpool fans in particular, share some responsibility for the disaster.

Football hooliganism in the preceding 20 years prior to 1989, led directly to the way fans were penned in, often treated worse than animals, and why police treated them as a problem waiting to happen.   The fundamental strategy in the 70's and 80's had been for the police to keep fighting fans apart.  Well organised and friendly crowd congestion techniques, were a distant second.  

The police made one massive error in assuming that fans could basically work out for themselves when a pen was full, and move to a different one instead.  The sad irony is that the police actually treated the Liverpool like they knew what they were doing.   In hindsight, it would've been better for the police to treat all the fans as brainless sheep, and herd them into each pens until each one was nicely full (but not too full).

I understand the wish of people to "blame" others, but the police and authorities were ultimately distracted by dealing with what they saw as the number one priority issue of the time.  Tragically sad, but true nevertheless.

17 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

The trouble was ... they had inquiry(s) to try and work out what happened at the time, and what happened afterwards.   
But they never really did a proper analysis of the events leading up to Hillsborough ... and what effect that had.

Why were terraces penned off into sections?
 (which ultimately caused the disaster - as the pressure of the crush couldn't dissipate sidewards.)

Why were there fences at the front of the terrace?
 (which prevented people easily escaping onto the pitch in an emergency.)

Why did the police adopt a "laissez-faire" attitude to the fans?
 (instead of micro managing them into each pen.)

The answers to the above 3 questions are uncomfortable, as football fans in general and Liverpool fans in particular, share some responsibility for the disaster.

Football hooliganism in the preceding 20 years prior to 1989, led directly to the way fans were penned in, often treated worse than animals, and why police treated them as a problem waiting to happen.   The fundamental strategy in the 70's and 80's had been for the police to keep fighting fans apart.  Well organised and friendly crowd congestion techniques, were a distant second.  

The police made one massive error in assuming that fans could basically work out for themselves when a pen was full, and move to a different one instead.  The sad irony is that the police actually treated the Liverpool like they knew what they were doing.   In hindsight, it would've been better for the police to treat all the fans as brainless sheep, and herd them into each pens until each one was nicely full (but not too full).

I understand the wish of people to "blame" others, but the police and authorities were ultimately distracted by dealing with what they saw as the number one priority issue of the time.  Tragically sad, but true nevertheless.

Well, I’d have thought the main reason for putting up pens and fences at pitch side was probably something to do with having to endure  the running pitched battles between 100’s of hooligans and instead allow us to actually watch some football instead of watching someone get bricked or slashed on the field of play.