Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxes96

Pre Match Thread - Man City (A) / 26th Dec / 15.00

How bad must Benkovic be? Seriously?

I mean I'm not saying he's the answer, I'm merely musing, when we have no fit CB's and the choices would be rather playing players out of position (leaving you light or weak elsewhere) or young lads from the academy.

I suppose Rodgers is best qualified to know what Benkovic is about, he had him at Celtic, he played him 19 times out of 30 in the SPL (Starting 16 - playing a full game 12 times. Out for 7 games with an ankle injury), now he can't get a sniff here where we're down to bare bones, if that doesn't say how bad the SPL is then I don't know what does.

Unless I'm asking a totally stupid question and he's not eligible or there's another reason I've not read. I'm even questioning if I missed him being transferred or loaned out of the club? He's in the 25 man squad? Right?

The thoughts originally were he'd be better than Soyuncu were they not? He was thought to be involved sooner or more than Soy, i'm sure.

Or are we just sweeping this one under the carpet and running with the narrative we have "no fit CB"?

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, snoopy87 said:

Just if he starts with a back 3 should be reason enough! Absolutely turgid regardless of who's in the side with that 

Agree. We can't play a back 3 adequately even with a remotely fully fit squad, which we don't have. Plus against a back 3 Man City will overload us down the flanks and we'll be totally ripped apart anyway. Just go for a 4 at the back whoever is fit, rather than sacrificing a decent midfielder or a forward on the spurious grounds that fielding an extra defender will give us more security at the back, especially when that extra defender is someone like Bertrand. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox

I genuinely don't want to play this or Liverpool on Tuesday. Christmas football should be fun and excitement. Giving us these two is unfair given the state and form our defence is in. We should complain. 

Wake me up for 1st Jan. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

I mean I'm not saying he's the answer, I'm merely musing, when we have no fit CB's and the choices would be rather playing players out of position (leaving you light or weak elsewhere) or young lads from the academy.

I suppose Rodgers is best qualified to know what Benkovic is about, he had him at Celtic, he played him 19 times in the SPL (Starting 16 - playing a full game 12 times), now he can't get a sniff here where we're down to bare bones, if that doesn't say how bad the SPL is then I don't know what does.

Unless I'm asking a totally stupid question and he's not eligible or there's another reason I've not read. I'm even questioning if I missed him being transferred or loaned out of the club? He's in the 25 man squad? Right?

The thoughts originally were he'd be better than Soyuncu were they not? He was thought to be involved sooner or more than Soy, i'm sure.

Or are we just sweeping this one under the carpet and running with the narrative we have "no fit CB"?

Maybe we just know he cannot take the rigours of top level football anymore? Sounds ridiculous, but no more so than some of the other theories proposed.

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Maybe we just know he cannot take the rigours of top level football anymore? Sounds ridiculous, but no more so than some of the other theories proposed.

I think it’s just bad management of players, how can Bertrand be seen as a better option at centreback?

18 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

He's 24!

Admittedly I don't know his injury history and injuries can keep you out no matter what age but the history I was just looking at from his time at Celtic tell me had an ankle injury that kept him out for 7 games, he then came back for 2 more Celtic games, the following season he played 10 out of 17 games for Bristol City, he then went to QPR the season after playing 1 game in 17, again perhaps a glowing indictment of the poor levels of the SPL, but when in our situation, needs must.

Don't forget we persisted with an ageing, creaking, out of date (with all due respect) Wes Morgan.

As you say, sounds ridiculous, but maybe, other theories? I've not read, he is literally the forgotten man.

Edited by Matt

3 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I think it’s just bad management of players, how can Bertrand be seen as a better option at centreback?

Not saying I agree, just putting it out there:D

To answer your question, Bertrand cannot be better than Filip (surely!) but if he can stay fit and Filip cannot, it does raise a question.  :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

He's 24!

Admittedly I don't know his injury history and injuries can keep you out no matter what age, the stats I was just looking at from his time at Celtic tell me had an ankle injury that kept him out for 7 games, he then came back for 2 more Celtic games, the following season he played 10 games for Bristol City - again perhaps say's alot about the SPL, but when in our situation needs must.

We persisted with an ageing, creaking, out of date (with all due respect) Wes Morgan don't forget.

As you say, sounds ridiculous, but maybe, other theories? I've not read, he is literally the forgotten man.

It blows my mind tbh, the mere fact he rarely makes the bench must tell us there is something amiss

• Like 2

This talk about Benkovic being badly managed. 

Well he's been loaned out to the Championship and OH Leuven and barely got a game. So it's not just our management that think he's not up to it. I'm as desperate for him to come good as anyone else, but this is one it seems we might just have to write off. 

Admittedly it would be pretty hard for him to be worse than Vestergaard, but will Rodgers get hammered for playing him if he is? There is clearly more to this situation than we fully know. 

We are dog muck at the back, we have hardly any defenders fit, the ones we do have are low level footballers at best, our manager is a prized plumb, our away end will probably just start chanting “your city is red” at the home crowd and we had a confidence sapping defeat in the week. 

Leicester win 3-1. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

I suppose Rodgers is best qualified to know what Benkovic is about, he had him at Celtic, he played him 19 times out of 30 in the SPL (Starting 16 - playing a full game 12 times. Out for 7 games with an ankle injury), now he can't get a sniff here where we're down to bare bones, if that doesn't say how bad the SPL is then I don't know what does.

Was he recalled then? I thought he'd been loaned out to OH Leuven this season. I do wonder why we're managing Benkovic as we've done. Signed him 3 years ago and he's not played for us once and been on constant loan. 

We usually go pretty much full strength Boxing Day and then almost entirely second string 48 hours later

we don’t have enough fit players to do that 

I would toss off Sunday and try to get a point at home to Liverpool by reversing that policy

however, I don’t think Brendan will take the risk of an absolute mauling at the etihaad so I think he may mix and match across the two fixtures and we will be meh in both and lose them both by two or three 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adejo92 said:

Thank the lord I'm out for a meal during this.

Children shouldn't be allowed to attend this one either, it's going to be a massacre.

About as child friendly as an abbateur.

Did you mean saboteur or abbatoir, I'm genuinely confused?

Neither is child friendly I suppose, so both work right enough.

6 minutes ago, An Away Move said:

I’m going to love it when we get 6pts!

The odds are far less than 5000-1 ✊🏻

I do this every year. One year I had us to beat Man City and Chelsea then lose to Cardiff at home. It happened. It’s exactly the same this year Man City then Liverpool - Norwich at home after so might be worth a quid lol Just a typical Leicester thing to do wouldn’t it