Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Union FS

Foodbank Collection - Brighton (H)

On 23/12/2021 at 14:48, eblair said:

great

wish some fans were not so dopey yesterday to stupid songs, all football clubs have idiots just wish we were not another one with them

You've taken it that the song being sung was mocking poverty itself. It wasn't. It's been sung for years. Sadly the reaction from the Liverpool fans is their normal reaction - we're so offended, please feel sorry for us. Shame more wasn't made of their fans mimicking helicopters, which is far worse than anything we've ever sung to them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/01/2022 at 13:36, Sol thewall Bamba said:

If anyone isn't at the game at the weekend and would still like to contribute, you can send donations to [email protected] on PayPal or bank transfer to:

UnionFS

40-09-17

Please make reference to the donation being for the foodbank.

Have made a small donation via bank transfer (easier for me than carrying tins of beans to the game)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A proportion of the homeless do not need to be. They just cannot cope with life in 4 walls ,bills benefits and paperwork .Not to mention drug and drink issues.

There used to a lad sat outside Tesco on Western Boulevard  with his dog begging and he would do well on match days coffee and a few bob .Two of our housing officers from the housing association just round the corner went to see him and offered him a place -his response was no ta Ill stay where I am .Incredible.I personally dealt with a man who had been living in a bus shelter for years put him in a flat in Leicester all set up he lasted about 4 weeks and could not cope with that life .He was a liverpool fan.

Very complex issues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dynamark said:

A proportion of the homeless do not need to be. They just cannot cope with life in 4 walls ,bills benefits and paperwork .Not to mention drug and drink issues.

There used to a lad sat outside Tesco on Western Boulevard  with his dog begging and he would do well on match days coffee and a few bob .Two of our housing officers from the housing association just round the corner went to see him and offered him a place -his response was no ta Ill stay where I am .Incredible.I personally dealt with a man who had been living in a bus shelter for years put him in a flat in Leicester all set up he lasted about 4 weeks and could not cope with that life .He was a liverpool fan.

Very complex issues.

exactly. not as simple as give them a home. you're always going to have a percentage of the people that, unfortunately, will succumb to that. you just have to do as much as you can to help them out.

the problem we have nowadays is there's a large part of the population that are a a few paychecks away from major financial difficulty. all while certain people in the government are profiting in the billions off covid contracts (and all the other scams they've run or are running)

• Like 3

An awful lot of folk have little or no self discipline when it comes to finance. I rent property to a couple of tenants who are always struggling to pay(in particular at Xmas)

But their income should be good enough one at work plus benefits,Their priorities are Virgin media,huge Tv and games consoles,bingo on line,takeaways,smoking,on line shoppping,taxis to work and back when its a 15 minute walk.and then the rent. A lot of folk could do with an advisor just for daily life maybe something we should really push into the school teaching .

11 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I work / volunteer in a good bank and this is a great cause.

BUT let's not lose sight of the big picture here. Surely if we can agree that it's good to help others, can we all unite to get rid of the causes of food banks??

Without being too political I think you know what I mean. Foodbanks are a failure of government and the people who put then in power. You know who you are.

Taking a bag of food to your local food bank doesn't fix the situation. 

This has never felt more true (at least in my lifetime) as it is right now - what with the ticking timebomb of energy prices, rising costs of food, fuel, transport etc. Things are bad at the moment, but I feel that our leaders are sleep walking into disaster.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

you can also help the homeless while you're out and about by acknowledging them and perhaps offering to buy them a coffee or some food.

i try to do this whenever I'm in the city centre for at least one, if not two people. 

also, if it's near the end of the day I find that a cafe (if you ask nicely) will provide you with some food that they may not have sold - I buy a coffee and ask if they have anything left over and I've been fortunate many times to be able to hand over a meal as well, without having to spend anything on it.

it's worth a try. it's tough times out there, so don't ignore them - take a few minutes out of your day to make them feel human and cared about.

we can all do that and it costs very little / nothing at all if you play the game right. 

• Like 2