Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Union FS

Foodbank Collection - Brighton (H)

12 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

you can also help the homeless while you're out and about by acknowledging them and perhaps offering to buy them a coffee or some food.

i try to do this whenever I'm in the city centre for at least one, if not two people. 

also, if it's near the end of the day I find that a cafe (if you ask nicely) will provide you with some food that they may not have sold - I buy a coffee and ask if they have anything left over and I've been fortunate many times to be able to hand over a meal as well, without having to spend anything on it.

it's worth a try. it's tough times out there, so don't ignore them - take a few minutes out of your day to make them feel human and cared about.

we can all do that and it costs very little / nothing at all if you play the game right. 

I volunteered for a while with a choir for people who were experiencing or had experience homelessness. It made such a difference to those who attended to have people chat to them and take an interest in how they were (although there could be some real divas when it came to the quality of the food!). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rachhere said:

It made such a difference to those who attended to have people chat to them and take an interest in how they were

many people don't realise that they are only a few bad decisions from being on the street themselves. 

i speak to many people who never thought they'd end up there like that. 

we have a duty as humans to be good to one another, more so now than ever considering we have a government content to let people suffer rather than help them at the moment. 

having travelled far and wide, i've been to 'third world / developing' countries who don't even let their unfortunate or downtrodden members of society go hungry and cold on the streets. 

it's a disgrace and many people here have the attitude of '**** em' which I think is very sad. 

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
On 23/01/2022 at 21:08, lifted*fox said:

many people don't realise that they are only a few bad decisions from being on the street themselves. 

i speak to many people who never thought they'd end up there like that. 

we have a duty as humans to be good to one another, more so now than ever considering we have a government content to let people suffer rather than help them at the moment. 

having travelled far and wide, i've been to 'third world / developing' countries who don't even let their unfortunate or downtrodden members of society go hungry and cold on the streets. 

it's a disgrace and many people here have the attitude of '**** em' which I think is very sad. 

My Wife works at a store in Leicester where they work shifts begging aggressively. Even so my wife will buy food when we are out and give it to a homeless person and always buys a big issue from more than one seller. I am more of a cynic, I give to charity but not to homeless people, For me the trouble is one rotten apple spoils the barrel.. I know it says a lot about me as a person but I cannot bring myself to do that.