Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

Which cup exit has you fuming more?

8 hours ago, TK95 said:

Opted against a poll as some of the older fans will have better memories. But last night blew a realistic opportunity of winning another trophy.

Not the first time though.  The Villa debacle a couple of seasons ago. Man City games with Puel. That Wycombe tie.

When else have you been absolutely fuming we've missed out on the showpiece finale?

Older People Dont fume over Football games,even when we were young...I

Other things in life far more important on the priority ladder of life...

Football is a pastime I Enjoy following..

Then again FT, keeps trying its dann hardest to bring me along some Toxic cynical path..

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Haha 1

Easy - Wycombe at home in FA Cup QFs in 2001 for me. They did a right number on us that day. we just didn't turn up (when we were 4th in the Prem. under Taylor at the time and had beaten eventual winners Liverpool in the league the week before!) and we were never the same team again after that defeat until our second return to the Prem. under Pearson in 2014! We did ok in 2003-04 under Adams of course and were very unlucky toi get relegated from the Prem. that season - but on the plus side then all of that lead to the biggest miracle of all in football happening 15 yeards later in 2016 for me - so perhaps Peter Taylor's management and Wycombe weren't such a bad combo, after all!!  

The Chelsea one in 1997 is painful but it was out of our hands in that it was a poor decision from a notoriously homer ref. The self-defeating ones are worse. However bad that season was, we should never have lost to Millwall, we simply gave up. Newport was a case of a manager not understanding that cups are important in this country and being so disrespectful as to treat it like a closed doors practice match for crocked players to recover.

But Villa and Liverpool were different. We didn't self-destruct we just didn't handle the occasion. To a man, no player turned up for the Villa match. They simply didn't get off the ocoach. Last night was worse because even at 3-1 up we weren't comfortable. I just kept saying to my mate that we wouldn't hold on to the lead because we're a mentally soft team. We ccan't handle adversity, can't handle pressure and have become comfortable losing matches. We don't fear defeat, we just have a bunch of players that roll out "we'll learn" and "we go again" as parrotted phrases that are totally meaningless. They lose 3 or 4 games, safe in the knowledge they'll be playing a week later. Last night hit different because a lot of us could see it coming.

Guest StevieLynex
3 hours ago, DoveValleyFox said:

A different Millwall 5th round. 1985 this time. A depressing defeat and more than a little bit scary.

We had enough chances to win the game. Just as well we lost as we wouldn't have got out alive. In the next round Millwall fans trashed Kenilworth Road

10 minutes ago, StevieLynex said:

We had enough chances to win the game. Just as well we lost as we wouldn't have got out alive. In the next round Millwall fans trashed Kenilworth Road

Hmm. Even the coppers took a big step back. Very eerie experience.  My mates wanted to know every detail the day after, although not about the match :sweating:

Guest StevieLynex
59 minutes ago, DoveValleyFox said:

Hmm. Even the coppers took a big step back. Very eerie experience.  My mates wanted to know every detail the day after, although not about the match :sweating:

I thought that we were 'safe' as they had won. Next thing, at the end of the game, they came storming over towards our end of the ground. Thank god for fencing!

23 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Older People Dont fume over Football games,even when we were young...I

Other things in life far more important on the priority ladder of life...

Football is a pastime I Enjoy following..

Then again FT, keeps trying its dann hardest to bring me along some Toxic cynical path..

Oh aye, football in the 70s and 80s was a pleasant experience compared to the horrifying experience people experience these days.

You really are a nut lol

I think you meant to say that you don't or never did fume over football.

On 23/12/2021 at 13:41, boots60 said:

1997 Chelsea was the one that had me fuming because of Erland Johnsen's cheating, 

1974 & 1982 semis were heartbreaking because we were so close to an FA cup final.

Agree completely.

74 and 82 have finally become less upsetting now we’ve won the thing at least!

• 1 month later...