Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Webbo

Man City 6- Leicester 3 post match thread.

4 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Despite the result (be honest, most of us would have accepted this score before the match), there were a few positives. Maddison has definitely got back to his best form. Best match I’ve seen from Lookman. Iheanacho had a good second half. KDB looking good.

With a bit more luck we could have snatched a point. The 2 penalties were very silly from Youri, particularly the first. We had loads of chances that went begging.

Could have been a lot worse.

It doesn't matter how many compliments you give him, he won't be signing for us :nono:

• Haha 1

I wanna see Ward, Benkovic or Nelson given a game, it can't be any worse, dropping Schmeichel would be a statement, hes rooted to his line at every set piece, GKs can win cheap fouls easily, help out the vulnerable defence a bit, you're the captain. 

Edited by Beachyboy
  • Like 3

Guest Col city fan
13 minutes ago, smudgerfox said:

I’m not denying the defence was patched up. 

But only Albrighton at RB was a player out of position. All four are members of the first team squad and three of them were playing in a position that is their usual position. In a squad that is drilled in a system which offers a strong defensive base that ought to be enough to put in a respectable defensive performance. Our club captain is goalkeeper and a minimum consequence of his constant presence should be defensive stability and effective on-field defensive organisation. We have a high profile defensive coach and a goalkeeper coach. There is literally no excuse for being 4-0 down after 25 minutes to anyone - it’s a relegation mentality to think there is. 

Completely right 

I do have to laff. I’ve had people pummelling me for months for suggesting that Amartey isn’t good enough and especially when not playing alongside Evans. So many posters suggesting he’s fine as a squad player, to bring in when needed.

Now that we’ve conceded 6 goals in a single game, then suddenly both he and Vestergaard were apparently never going to be good enough anyway and that conceding 6 goals was ‘only to be expected’!

Absolute classic FT this

😉

Watching MOTD again was simply mindboggling to witness the clueless defensive set up at corners. No wonder we are laughing stocks. It is killing us. And let's have no excuses about personnel changes. It's the organisation and tactics as well as having a goalkeeper who stays rooted to his line. 

And what was Rodgers complaining about with their 1st penalty?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Watching MOTD again was simply mindboggling to witness the clueless defensive set up at corners. No wonder we are laughing stocks. It is killing us. And let's have no excuses about personnel changes. It's the organisation and tactics as well as having a goalkeeper who stays rooted to his line. 

Strange how MOTD can so clearly and easily explain why we are crap at corners in 30 seconds and yet our coaching team have failed for two years to crack the problem.

Yesterday we conceded 3 from corners - 2 direct and 1 that gave away a penalty. All 3 corners were flighted into the same area of the box. The first put us 2-0 down and the second two killed off our fight back. Even Pep said that at 4-3 Man City went for set plays to stop our comeback.

Its irrelevant how well we play, Rodgers’ approach to corners is gifting the opposition goals (and belief) every single match and making it impossible for the team to play on the front foot as we are constantly behind.

I’m not a Rodgers out person, but if anything, his unwillingness to fix corners and the knock on effect is pushing me towards it….

Edited by jim5000
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

No way that we get that at the other end, especially on review when the bar of a 'clear and obvious error' is very high. It was very soft. Was really surprised that MoTD pundits said it was a definite pen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Strange how MOTD can so clearly and easily explain why we are crap at corners in 30 seconds and yet our coaching team have failed for two years to crack the problem.

Yesterday we conceded 3 from corners - 2 direct and 1 that gave away a penalty. All 3 corners were flighted into the same area of the box. The first put us 2-0 down and the second two killed off our fight back. Even Pep said that at 4-3 Man City went for set plays to stop our comeback.

Its irrelevant how well we play, Rodgers’ approach to corners is gifting the opposition goals (and belief) every single match and making it impossible for the team to play on the front foot as we are constantly behind.

I’m not a Rodgers out person, but if anything, his unwillingness to fix corners and the knock on effect is pushing me towards it….

No rep left, but agree.... 

It’s good to know that the players clearly still have fight in them, I was doubting it at half time, but I just can’t look past the first half performance (especially the utterly ridiculous decision to go with four at the back) and the manner in which we conceded the 6 goals.

For someone that gets touted in the media for being a top level coach Rodgers has a regular habit of getting his game plan wildly wrong and then have to change it at half time.

• Like 2

After winning the Community Shield against Manchester City in Auguist, Kasper Schmeichel reckoned we'd got into the habit of lifting trophies.

Scroll forward 5 months and the only thing that KS seems to be lifting is the ball out from the back of his own net.

My view is that KS and Brendan Rodgers have a mutual appreciation society, making it awkward for the manager to even consider trying Danny Ward in the PL instead.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Completely right 

I do have to laff. I’ve had people pummelling me for months for suggesting that Amartey isn’t good enough and especially when not playing alongside Evans. So many posters suggesting he’s fine as a squad player, to bring in when needed.

Now that we’ve conceded 6 goals in a single game, then suddenly both he and Vestergaard were apparently never going to be good enough anyway and that conceding 6 goals was ‘only to be expected’!

Absolute classic FT this

😉

In fairness, I don’t think you can really blame Amartey for many of the goals yesterday (see below). I still think he is good enough as a 4th / 5th choice CB. Vestegaard shouldn’t be anywhere near our squad let alone starting 11. 

1. Jannick letting the ball drop over his head and allowing KDB to turn with loads of space in the penalty box

2. Youri giving a penalty away

3. Kasper palming the ball out into the 6 yard box rather than Albrigton giving a call so he could clear instead

4. Youri giving a penalty away

5. Laporte (who he wasn’t marking) scoring from a corner

6. Arguably this one was something Amartey could have done something about as he lost Sterling for the 2nd ball

Yes it was a patched up side and some of the players on the bench were unfit but to go with a flat back 4 and no recognised defensive midfield protection in front of them, it was only ever going to end one way, surely Hamza for 45-60 minutes would have given us a fighting chance or alternatively selecting Nelson as part of a back 5 would have meant we had a better chance of staying in the game, I never expected us to get a result however I also didn’t expect us to lie down and gift City a 4 goal lead inside the first half hour. 

that 1st half formation was naive at best and at worst an insult to the 3k fans who had travelled and spent there hard earned cash to support the team. 

• Like 1

For me

Why are teams trying to play basketball with the super greedy top four/5 rich cartel

If there going to hoard and buy every player under the sun, then when you play them do a Carlo when he was everton manager

Bank in give them no room and break out when you can, unless you have everyone fit to press properly.

Its the only way, otherwise as we're seeing this year your going to be the end of Leeds like hammerings.

Brendan needs to wise up and start getting the team organised again and surviving first halfs in tact a little

If it means playing like wolves for a bit so be it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

My gripe with that penalty is there’s 2 or 3 each end every game not given, if given that you need to give the rest every game! 

on lighter note Rogers fuming as first time we’ve got touch tight to someone from a set piece all season:P

1 hour ago, smudgerfox said:

But only Albrighton at RB was a player out of position. All four are members of the first team squad and three of them were playing in a position that is their usual position. In a squad that is drilled in a system which offers a strong defensive base that ought to be enough to put in a respectable defensive performance. Our club captain is goalkeeper and a minimum consequence of his constant presence should be defensive stability and effective on-field defensive organisation. We have a high profile defensive coach and a goalkeeper coach. There is literally no excuse for being 4-0 down after 25 minutes to anyone - it’s a relegation mentality to think there is. 

Exactly this…..

And it’s this mentality that has frankly pissed me off for the last few weeks.

We have still been putting defenders out.

Thomas

Bertrand

Ricardo

Amartey

Vesty

Cags 

Castagne

Evans

are all defenders…. Only Albrighton and Ndidi are the two who have been played out of position. 

The way we are playing is wrong, the approach is wrong. We’ve not been pressing all season as a team, the only game we did was Man United, and they had given up on Ole so frankly didn’t give a ****, and Newcastle are about a useful as a car with no wheels so there was no surprise they eventually imploded. 

No wonder Vesty looks shit, he’s being left exposed and a defender who lacks mobility like him can’t be left exposed.

The issue I’ve had all season is our approach in games, it’s slow, has no press throughout the team, and we allow teams too much time and space. We concede far too many chances and can’t defend easy balls into the penalty area.

Unfortunately, there’s only one man who can be held responsible for this, and it’s Brendan. 

Guest Col city fan
1 hour ago, adam95581 said:

In fairness, I don’t think you can really blame Amartey for many of the goals yesterday (see below). I still think he is good enough as a 4th / 5th choice CB. Vestegaard shouldn’t be anywhere near our squad let alone starting 11. 

1. Jannick letting the ball drop over his head and allowing KDB to turn with loads of space in the penalty box

2. Youri giving a penalty away

3. Kasper palming the ball out into the 6 yard box rather than Albrigton giving a call so he could clear instead

4. Youri giving a penalty away

5. Laporte (who he wasn’t marking) scoring from a corner

6. Arguably this one was something Amartey could have done something about as he lost Sterling for the 2nd ball

This is the usual argument trotted out about Amartey. I tend to look at the bigger picture in terms of how disorganised the defence looks when he plays. Amartey and Vestie are not young kids being drafted in. They have Premiership and international experience between them, yet our fans shit themselves when they play together.

Which says it all really

3 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

I think it's the inconsistency. Players don't know what's allowed now. You see this type of grappling (and worse) in every match and the refs are only interested occasionally when the attacker makes a meal of it, enough hands are thrown in the air, and the home crowd make some noise. Most won't get reviewed or even mentioned by the 'experts' especially ours as we don't make enough fuss of carry enough weight to have any influence. 

3 hours ago, smudgerfox said:

To be fair other than the first goal they didn’t do much wrong.

Oh and the Kasper assist, but that was largely on him.

No huge analysis here. But Vestergaard was embarrassing for their opening goal. He had no idea where he was and was struggling to stand up. Then 3 corner related goals - again!! Doesn't matter how slick your attacking play is if you can't do the basics well. I'd literally stop coaching anything other than defensive systems as it's destroying us . 

3 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

If you watch from the other angle (conveniently the one not showed until after the var review) you can see Laporte wrap his right arm around the back of Tielemans and drag them both down, was a free kick to us. He tried to do it on 2 other occasions also. looked a bit like a wwe move